Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1164

Thread: Fake news

  1. #76

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So in regards to the Cohen wire tapping that NBC walked back later due to bad sources (the porn peddler's attorney apparently), I found it really weird that ABC actually confirmed the story after NBC lead it, but before NBC retracted it. What exactly did ABC confirm?
    It was a mistake they walked back. Cohen's calls weren't being listened to, they were being logged.

  2. #77

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It was a mistake they walked back. Cohen's calls weren't being listened to, they were being logged.
    Does it not make you at least take pause when considering other reports, that they essentially ran with a story, for which the source was the Porn Star's attorney, because he said so essentially, no more proof than that? Not even a little. Just a minor snafu in the news cycle is all that goes through your head. Agendy had no bearing on whether or not they ran with this story.

    And again, what exactly did ABC confirm? It reminds me of Isikoff validating the dossier when Steele was the source of both stories. That's not confirmation, that's just repeating, which some may confuse as somehow meaning validation.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So in regards to the Cohen wire tapping that NBC walked back later due to bad sources (the porn peddler's attorney apparently), I found it really weird that ABC actually confirmed the story after NBC lead it, but before NBC retracted it. What exactly did ABC confirm?
    Where did you get that one of the sources was Daniel's lawyer? NBC said there were two. Did you make that up?

    It was the government that subsequently said that while they were monitoring the calls, the monitoring didn't include recordings.

    I'm not sure how Daniel's lawyer would know the calls were monitored. But even if he did know and was one of the sources, he is a far more credible source than anyone working for Trump. Trump's constant rotation of lawyers are either being lied to, or are lying. Probably both. Those bumbling fools can't even figure what consistent lie they want to tell. At least they are getting good exercise with all the walking back they keep doing.

  4. #79

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Where did you get that one of the sources was Daniel's lawyer? NBC said there were two. Did you make that up?
    I will have to apologize on that one. I got my timeline mixed up. I thought Aveneti was on MSNBC talking about wiretaps prior to the story coming out, not after (his discussion was in regards to the evidence in Cohen's office and he made comment that recordings would strengthen his case or something). That aside, whomever the source(s) was, they made a pretty monumental mistake and obviously didn't know what they were talking about. OR (and this is a possibility in my mind) those reporting it don't understand the lingo enough to report accurately.

    Which still doesn't divert anything from my original questions of does this not make you skeptical of news at all? it seems to me that news organizations would be taking extra care in the climate we are in not to make mistakes this monumental, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. The best of the best are tripping all over themselves to be the first to print something damning about the prospects of the President.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Fake news

    No, they made a mistake and properly and promptly put out revised information. That's how it's supposed to work and it's the opposite of fake news.

    Fake news is crap like Obama's birth certificate, Seth Rich, Pizza Gate, Benghazi, death panels, Jade Helm, Vince Foster, Obama being a secret Muslim, Truthers, Sandy Hook deniers, Deep State, Parkland students being actors, Chemtrails, Vaccines cause Autism, millions of illegal aliens voted for Clinton, Uranium One and the dumbest one of all; Obama's official portrait has a secret sperm hidden in it.

    What do all these share? Trump buddies Sean Hannity and Alex Jones.

  6. #81

    Default Re: Fake news

    No concern. Got it.

    It's not like NBC has to put two and two together and came to the wrong conclusion. Someone told them something that was false. They didn't do a particular good job of verifying (I personally don't think they did at all or this wouldn't have happened), and then the breathlessly report as fact with absolutely no reservation. Curious how long they would have let it hang had they not been called out on it by people that were apparently able to verify it was false faster than NBC's brass could. No, no problem there at all.

  7. #82

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    No concern. Got it.

    It's not like NBC has to put two and two together and came to the wrong conclusion. Someone told them something that was false. They didn't do a particular good job of verifying (I personally don't think they did at all or this wouldn't have happened), and then the breathlessly report as fact with absolutely no reservation. Curious how long they would have let it hang had they not been called out on it by people that were apparently able to verify it was false faster than NBC's brass could. No, no problem there at all.
    See, I would guess that they were told, and they verified that the calls are being "monitored", and misunderstood what that meant. You act like this was a fake story proven false. All that was put out was a clarification. Cohen's calls were being "monitored", just not listened to.

  8. #83

    Default Re: Fake news

    **** News Flash*** Trump finally defines what his definition of "fake news" really means. Per his twitter utterance this am.
    "The Fake News is working overtime. Just reported that, despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy & all things else, 91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?"

    The next time this so called leader spews the catch phrase "fake news", just substitute " it makes me look bad".

  9. #84

    Default Re: Fake news

    You may be exactly correct, unknowingly. To me, fake news and biased news can be the same thing. Biased news can be like the trial attorney who lobs a statement he/she knows will be objected to and upheld by the judge, but is withdrawn because the statement was made and the damage done - the biased thoughts established. There was an example of this today when the NYTimes harshly criticised Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for being absent from events where Trump cancelled the deal Obama made with the Iranians. Turns out he was getting the 3 American hostages freed from North Korea and setting the timevand place for the summit.
    Bias set like this can taint what people feel about the situation. It can be and is nearly as damaging as outright false news. The vast majority of the MSM practises this and, to me, biases the public against anything and anyone on the Trump side. I just want to see fair coverage and equal vigilance looking into the equally sordid side of the Clinton reign in power.

  10. Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    You may be exactly correct, unknowingly. To me, fake news and biased news can be the same thing. Biased news can be like the trial attorney who lobs a statement he/she knows will be objected to and upheld by the judge, but is withdrawn because the statement was made and the damage done - the biased thoughts established. There was an example of this today when the NYTimes harshly criticised Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for being absent from events where Trump cancelled the deal Obama made with the Iranians. Turns out he was getting the 3 American hostages freed from North Korea and setting the timevand place for the summit.
    Bias set like this can taint what people feel about the situation. It can be and is nearly as damaging as outright false news. The vast majority of the MSM practises this and, to me, biases the public against anything and anyone on the Trump side. I just want to see fair coverage and equal vigilance looking into the equally sordid side of the Clinton reign in power.
    Honestly, I don't buy this equivalency. Legitimate criticisms cannot and do not fall into the category of false or fake news. Just because a news piece takes a negative tone, it's not libel as long as it's factual. With Pompeo, look at it like this: If at your job, you were able to complete one assigned task by going above and beyond, but then totally dropped the ball on one of your other regular responsibilities, you'd almost certainly still get chewed out for where you dropped the ball despite the praise for the task you did complete. It's no different with Pompeo. He negotiated the release of three Americans held hostage and finalized negotiations to hold the NK summit. Those are legitimate wins and I will absolutely give credit where it is due. But he still dropped the ball with Trump and the Iran deal.

    I think part of the problem with the MSM might be that many Americans are seemingly having a harder and harder time distinguishing between news and opinion pieces. It also doesn't help that some reporters regularly flip-flop between the two beats, and that it's not always clearly indicated which is news and which is opinion. The Oklahoman, in particular, has at least one reporter that falls into this category, but as newsrooms shrink across the nation it's not uncommon to find this in many other newspapers, both liberal and conservative.

  11. #86

    Default Re: Fake news

    I don't think there is ever an excuse to slant or bias news. Leave that for the 3rd world.

    As for Pompeo, if he is half-way around the world obtaining the release of hostages and negotiating a de-nuclearization conference location, I fail to see how that was a screw-up. Do you have personal insight that it would have been OK to pre-announce his North Korea trip? The way Trump info is leaked, the likely best course was to keep it secret until each task was done and the hostages were on the plane.

  12. Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm not talking about libel. I'm talking about news orgs that present something in a light that is totally wrong and done with intention. IMO, any organization that reports with a clear and constant bias should present itself as news entertainment. By the way, it should apply to Fox News, too. I agree the ability to distinguish between news and opinion is difficult - even central to the problem. There are too many times when these opinion pieces aren't even opinion, they are just people presented as experts saying stupid things.
    Agree with you about the opinion pieces, but bias = entertainment?

  13. #88

    Default Re: Fake news

    Sorry, I did not intend to post that last comment but, yes, entertainment. Slanted and biased news is not news. It can be presented to be entirely different than what actually happened.

  14. #89

    Default Re: Fake news

    What would be an unbiased or objective news source?

  15. #90

    Default Re: Fake news

    nm dupe

  16. Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Sorry, I did not intend to post that last comment but, yes, entertainment. Slanted and biased news is not news. It can be presented to be entirely different than what actually happened.
    I agree with the last sentence, but not the second one. Slanted and biased news *is* news, but you have to be cognizant of the bias when reading it and allow for it.

    Edmond_Outsider - Eric posted a chart here yesterday, coincidentally enough: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...55#post1031955
    There's also this site - https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

  17. Default Re: Fake news

    Just an observation: I watch several news channels and noticed that most of them had no coverage on the prisoners being released from North Korea. I think it is very newsworthy. It seems like most of them are no longer reporting the news. It is all about trying to discredit the president. If that is what you want to see it is good entertainment but if you want news then it is not being reported.

  18. #93

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    Just an observation: I watch several news channels and noticed that most of them had no coverage on the prisoners being released from North Korea. I think it is very newsworthy. It seems like most of them are no longer reporting the news. It is all about trying to discredit the president. If that is what you want to see it is good entertainment but if you want news then it is not being reported.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-korea-n872876
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/polit...ory/index.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-k...es-2018-05-10/
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=55054787

  19. #94

    Default Re: Fake news

    Yes because that has anything to do wth what he was talking about. Fail


    91% of the coverage of trump on the major networks is negative toward trump And despite that he has a 40+ percent approval rating and climbing.

    The main stream media is so left and no longer tries to report news with out bias

  20. #95

    Default Re: Fake news

    What is the basis of your 91% claim? Is it an utterance of Trump who has been known to engage in crazy math(ie. inauguration crowd size, millions bused into NH to vote illegally, among others)? What study has been done and by whom so we can at least determine the veracity of this claim. I don't accept anything at face value. Neither should you.

  21. #96

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Yes because that has anything to do wth what he was talking about. Fail


    91% of the coverage of trump on the major networks is negative toward trump And despite that he has a 40+ percent approval rating and climbing.

    The main stream media is so left and no longer tries to report news with out bias
    He said, and I'm quoting here, "most had no coverage on the prisoners being released from North Korea", which is false.

    Stories about Trump are negative because of his actions and the people he has around him. Trump's personal lawyer Cohen getting money from large companies with business before government for access to Trump is huge news, his also getting money from Russia and filtering it all through the same shell company that he paid off the presidents porn star affair is a nuclear bomb of political news.

    Trump canceling the Iran nuclear deal pissing off all our allies and now Israel and Iran shooting at each other and Iran restarting their nuclear program is huge news.

    Trump's Secretary of Homeland Security almost walking out and quitting yesterday after he acted like a toddler (again) is big news.

    Pense coming damn close to Obstruction on his own pressing DOJ to end the Mueller probe is also big news.

    These and many other stories are news and negative. What do you expect the news about this man to be?

  22. #97

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What is the basis of your 91% claim? Is it an utterance of Trump who has been known to engage in crazy math(ie. inauguration crowd size, millions bused into NH to vote illegally, among others)? What study has been done and by whom so we can at least determine the veracity of this claim. I don't accept anything at face value. Neither should you.
    Study: 91 percent of recent network Trump coverage has been negative @ Washington Post

    Media Research Center (decidedly right wing) came up with the 91% number.

    Just to be clear though there is some non Trump numskulls that more or less confirm that statistic isn't an outlier. And while I agree that 91% may be a bit excessive (as these tests are difficult to really be perfectly accurate), I seriously doubt the reality is any less than 75%. For obvious reasons Trump has latched on to the 91% figure. For similar reasons that the hockey stick graph was so popular for a spell, it gets attention.

  23. #98

    Default Re: Fake news

    ^^^ From the link you provided. It appears Trump relishes being the center of this media coverage. As they say in the world of entertainment, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

    Perhaps it’s as much a reflection of reality as anything else. Take Obamacare: Here, the president promised to do away with his predecessor’s signature domestic program and has failed to deliver. Meanwhile, his administration has proceeded to undercut the existing system. Just what would positive coverage look like? And on the mid-August Charlottesville rallying with neo-Nazi and Ku Klux Klan groups: One day, Trump was citing problems with “both sides”; then, in prepared remarks, he called out neo-Nazis; then he returned to his both-sides line of analysis. How to engineer a positive spin on that progression?

    Another finding in the MRC analysis relates to volume. Whereas the networks devoted just 10 percent of their airtime to President Barack Obama in 2015 and 2016, according to the MRC, they’re bingeing on Trump. More than a third of their airtime over the summer hovered over Trump, and more in the preceding months. Again, there’s a reality-based explanation here. Trump appears to relish creating news, which he frequently does on his Twitter account and elsewhere. Remember his explanation as to why he announced the pardoning of former Maricopa County, Ariz., sheriff Joe Arpaio just as Hurricane Harvey bore down on Texas? “In the middle of a hurricane, even though it was a Friday evening, I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they were normally,” said the president.

  24. #99

    Default Re: Fake news

    So after countless stores and hundreds of thousands of retweets regarding immigration policies surrounding minors, it is apparent to me that all it takes for the media to focus on corruption and negligence is for a Republican to be President.

    Also funny that pretty much the first four years of Obama's term was "Bush's fault", and now it seems the last four were Trump's fault.

  25. #100

    Default Re: Fake news

    Boo hoo. Nobody ever criticized Obama for anything... but the poor, harrassed, conservatives. The world makes it so hard to be white, christian, male, conservative, etc. Everybody has it harder than the whining class.

    To reference the whining class' own rhetoric, why don't they just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and take responsibility for themselves?

    All it took Obama to get criticized was being born. Remember that guy that kept the birth certificate thing going for so long because, " 'extremely credible source' has called my office . I wonder what happened to that guy... he'd make a great whiner in chief.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Dentist
    By GoOKC1991 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  2. Hurricane Irene - Fake?
    By Just the facts in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM
  3. Blake the Fake...?
    By BiggThunda in forum Sports
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
  4. Most of you go to fake churches
    By Easy180 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
  5. Fox 25 airing "fake news"
    By Moondog in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO