Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake news

Default Re: Fake news

And look what showed up yesterday in the NYT (online version only of course):
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/25/u...is-allies.html

Correction: June 29, 2017
    A White House Memo article on Monday about President Trump’s deflections and denials about Russia referred incorrectly to the source of an intelligence assessment that said Russia orchestrated hacking attacks during last year’s presidential election. The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community.
    Even this is slightly misleading as the Office of the Director of National Intelligence isn't really an intelligence agency as much as an oversight and policy body. But hey, who's counting. Reminds me of the myth of 97% of scientist believe. Libs must believe that in order for a lie to appear more believable we have to make the numbers bigger. Why they felt it was important that the Coast Guard had signed off on this assertion is beyond me. Heck if someone just told me the CIA, FBI & NSA all came to the same conclusion it in my mind would carry just as much weight.

Not to leave AP out of the loop...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-30-17-32-29

And one in regards to our former beloved AG

https://apnews.com/feb0fb4603a04b2cb...d-was-canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Not to leave AP out of the loop...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-30-17-32-29

And one in regards to our former beloved AG

https://apnews.com/feb0fb4603a04b2cb...d-was-canceled
    Help me out here. How is this fake news?
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Blog Entries

Anyway, fake news is scary, along with the people who believe in them, surely more scary. Trump demanded people believe it true that Obama was not qualified to being president, because he was not born in this country. So now in governing this country what does Trump believe is true, but is really fake? It could end being a life or death question. That is just one reason why I couldn't vote for Trump with a clear conscience. It was so terrible for our country that the candidates who rose up as final presidential candidates were so bad and controversial.

What Trump believes at any given time seems to be either whatever he needs to be "true" at that moment or what the last person he talked to told him.

The only idea/opinion he appears to hold to longer than a news cycle seems to be the grudges he holds over being "treated unfairly." Unfairness appears to be anytime he doesn't get what he wants or anybody who hurts his feelings.

And it is so ego driven, it's nuts.

I'm glad for all the attention given to fake news. For far too long, "news" outlets like talk radio and Fox News have poisoned the political dialogue with unchallenged nonsense (Birtherism, Benghazi, et. al.), and got away with it for years. Millions of people were gullible enough to believe that cr@p and vote accordingly. The Republicans in Congress were willing to go along with it since they reaped the political benefits, disgusting as they are. Don't even get me started on Trump's buddy, Alex Jones.

Say what you will about Alex Jones but he was able to turn BS into millions of dollars. At the end of the day AJ is nothing more than an entertainer. However I have to admit I liked him better as Bill Hicks than Alex Jones. Maybe someday he'll resurrect his Bill Hicks persona. One can hope.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

What's the word for Godwin's law for the alt-right?

http://www.newsweek.com/who-james-da..._medium=Social

Probably only about 10 people were mislead by this headline so I'm sure it aint' a big deal. Newsweek must have been the 10th one in line in the media's "telephone" game because they missed the point of the memo completely.

What's the word for Godwin's law for the alt-right?

http://www.newsweek.com/who-james-da..._medium=Social

Probably only about 10 people were mislead by this headline so I'm sure it aint' a big deal. Newsweek must have been the 10th one in line in the media's "telephone" game because they missed the point of the memo completely.
    I read the memo, he was trashing diversity efforts and was fired for it by Google, how is this "fake news"?

The only thing wrong I see in the article is that it states he has a PDH from Harvard, which he faked on his resume on Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I read the memo, he was trashing diversity efforts and was fired for it by Google, how is this "fake news"?

The only thing wrong I see in the article is that it states he has a PDH from Harvard, which he faked on his resume on Linkedin

So shamelessly trying to tie anything and everything (that Newsweek doesn't agree with for some reason or another) to the "alt-right" is totally justifiable in your book?

So shamelessly trying to tie anything and everything (that Newsweek doesn't agree with for some reason or another) to the "alt-right" is totally justifiable in your book?
    Oh, I've read a ton of Alt-Right tweets about this, so they aren't wrong.

Oh, I've read a ton of Alt-Right tweets about this, so they aren't wrong.
    Just in case anyone is getting worked up about BLM in Houston:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...G6R#.ajvoNg3qm

More critiquing of the SPLC "Hate List":

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...el-hate-groups

When you've lost Bloomberg...

When you've lost Bloomberg...
    From the link: This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    From the link: This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
    Really?

Ok, to clarify, when you've lost the Editorial Board @ Bloomberg, because Bloomberg itself does not actually have an opinion in regards to anything.

Really?

Ok, to clarify, when you've lost the Editorial Board @ Bloomberg, because Bloomberg itself does not actually have an opinion in regards to anything.
    This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

But yes, they ran it with that disclaimer for whatever reason, ultimately to draw traffic to their site.

TLDR or follow the links on the article you linked, scanned it, but do generally find when I do dig down and the smoke clears on rebuttals of SPLC listings, usually reasons for being on the list are valid enough IMO. Mileage varies obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

But yes, they ran it with that disclaimer for whatever reason, ultimately to draw traffic to their site.

TLDR or follow the links on the article you linked, scanned it, but do generally find when I do dig down and the smoke clears on rebuttals of SPLC listings, usually reasons for being on the list are valid enough IMO. Mileage varies obviously.
    All editorials run with that disclaimer for legal reasons. You know this right? It's not something to invalidate the claim or to put on things they just don't want to be associated with. They run it on everything regardless of the subject matter.

19. Default Re: Fake news

What other website/publication does what the SPLC does (as far as listing hate groups, we're only talking about that) and, in your (Eric) opinion, is more accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What other website/publication does what the SPLC does (as far as listing hate groups, we're only talking about that) and, in your (Eric) opinion, is more accurate?
    Probably none (but I am open to be proven wrong). But I don't see the significance of that. If there is only one auto manufacture and they make crappy cars, does that somehow lend them credibility because they are the only one?

And it's not exactly an economic endeavor, all though it seems the SPLC has made it that (hiding money overseas and what not). Again, I just don't see the relevance of the question.

Probably none (but I am open to be proven wrong). But I don't see the significance of that. If there is only one auto manufacture and they make crappy cars, does that somehow lend them credibility because they are the only one?

And it's not exactly an economic endeavor, all though it seems the SPLC has made it that (hiding money overseas and what not). Again, I just don't see the relevance of the question.
    They reported the activity on their tax form and have commented about how and why when asked. Not exactly "hiding" but that seems to be the idea reported and re-linked extensively in the fringe right wing anti-SPLC media (fake news? Your call.)

As far as Ruth goes, the group in your link this morning, it doesn't take much look around the net to find these activities :

-- President of the Ruth Institute, which, from 2008–2013, was a project of NOM’s “Marriage Education Fund”

Facts

-- Teaches that gays are to remain celibate; has admitted that this is what she wants churches to teach; says gay people are to only have "chaste friendships"

-- Says that “the parallels” between Nazi Germany and contemporary America “are really quite chilling” and what happened in Nazi Germany “is happening to us.” (0:18-0:35)

-- Claims that if marriage equality becomes legal, “Fathers will be marginalized. They will be considered non-essential.”

-- Despite polls that prove otherwise, says Catholics don’t really “accept the category of gayness.” (0:38–0:45)

-- Says being gay is a “completely shameless activity.” (0:20–0:27)

-- Has called marriage equality for same-sex couples "a hostile takeover of the whole civil society" (9:35–9:44)

-- Claims "everybody who reads Genesis -- everybody, Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Mormon -- everybody who reads Genesis supported Prop 8" (1:35–1:52)

-- Says the gay rights movement is "anti-human" and that "the job that religion does in most people's lives, they are filling it up with Earth worship" (1:47–2:14)

-- Has referred to same-sex marriage advocates as "enemies of the human body"

-- Has made clumsy historical comparisons, positioning children of gay couples as victims of a "gross injustice": "When slavery was abolished, all slaves became free men and women. When women obtained the right to vote, the discrimination ended with the very next election. But for children of same sex marriage, the situation will be different. When we come to our senses 30 years from now and realize that we have perpetrated a grotesque injustice, not a single child born fatherless or motherless within a same sex marriage will get his missing parent back. Only prevention will protect children’s rights. The thin disguise of marriage equality will not mislead anyone, nor will it atone for the wrong this day done"

-- Said that prior to Prop 8, she was the "typical, clueless Anglo-Catholic Californian thinking that Mexicans were all busboys or gardeners or whatever" (2nd clip, :57–1:08)

-- Refers to gays as both people who "suffer from same-sex attraction" and "struggle with same-sex attraction" (51:14–51:20)

-- Asks of marriage equality advocates: "Is there anything the advocates of same sex marriage are not willing to do, any value they are unwilling to destry [sic], in order to get their way?"

-- Says marriage equality advocates are "at war with Mother Nature."

-- Voices belief that homosexuality is "intrinsically disordered behavior"; advises gays to be celibate; compares homosexuality to "shacking up"

-- Said of marriage equality: "There's really isn't any future in sodomy"

-- Made a Thanksgiving video with little purpose beyond attacking gay resident advisors on college campus

-- Used a photo of priests saluting Nazis to suggest that future Christians who are supportive of/ quiet about marriage equality (which she calls "a pagan ideology) will feel a similar shame

-- Her organization says gays are "deeply wounded spiritually"; prays for "conversion"

-- Says people who purchase sperm should be in jail: "You know, buying sperm on Craigslist should be abolished. Buying sperm at all should be abolished. And furthermore, these people should be in jail, I’m afraid. I mean, you know, honestly, I just can’t even imagine where people think this is going to lead. You know, because the child is no longer a gift from God and a fruit of human love participating in God’s love. The child is now a product, manufactured by adults, and therefore the child cannot be fully the equal of its parent."

-- Said it's a "breach of faith" for orphanages to place kids with gay parents

-- Suggested there was more to the Tyler Clementi tragedy than the media was reporting, prompting fierce condemnation from Tyler's family

https://www.glaad.org/cap/jennifer-roback-morse

22. Default Re: Fake news

If they're the only one doing what they do, then you put on your big-boy pants and either use their site as a beginning point and sift through what you believe is true on their site or start another website/organization dedicated to what they're doing. Those are about the only options, or you can just call them fake news and believe they're not credible at all and be done with them forever.

File this under, "you can't make this stuff up".

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...ories-n2406572

File this under, "you can't make this stuff up".

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...ories-n2406572
    Rather's story was correct, the documents were faked and he was fooled, but his story about Bush's military service was true. 100%.

See, I have a funny story for you. A certain Lt George Bush was stationed with the Texas National Guard during Vietnam (so he didn't have to do anything icky like actually go to war) and he wanted to work on a congressional campaign in Alabama. So he was transferred to the Alabama National Guard for a year.

Around that same time my uncle, a career Air Force officer, was coming back from Vietnam after two tours as a fighter pilot. He was ALSO stationed to Alabama National Guard as the units flight instructor. My uncle was Bush's flight instructor for over a year. One small problem, my uncle has never met George Bush. He knew who he was because Bush Sr was a congressman at the time, but Bush Jr just never bothered to show up. Also interestingly, all of Bush's files and logs that would have showed that Bush never logged any airtime or even showed up to the base disappeared.

So I know the story is true. Unless my uncle with his 30 years of service, who did two tours in Vietnam, commanded an air-wing in Germany, who was an aide to the head of the Air Force during the first Gulf War, and who was an instructor at the War College is Lying.

Rather's story was correct, the documents were faked and he was fooled, but his story about Bush's military service was true. 100%.

See, I have a funny story for you. A certain Lt George Bush was stationed with the Texas National Guard during Vietnam (so he didn't have to do anything icky like actually go to war) and he wanted to work on a congressional campaign in Alabama. So he was transferred to the Alabama National Guard for a year.

Around that same time my uncle, a career Air Force officer, was coming back from Vietnam after two tours as a fighter pilot. He was ALSO stationed to Alabama National Guard as the units flight instructor. My uncle was Bush's flight instructor for over a year. One small problem, my uncle has never met George Bush. He knew who he was because Bush Sr was a congressman at the time, but Bush Jr just never bothered to show up. Also interestingly, all of Bush's files and logs that would have showed that Bush never logged any airtime or even showed up to the base disappeared.

So I know the story is true. Unless my uncle with his 30 years of service, who did two tours in Vietnam, commanded an air-wing in Germany, who was an aide to the head of the Air Force during the first Gulf War, and who was an instructor at the War College is Lying.
    So your Uncle would be the missing link in this whole story and he's just sitting on it.

And technically Sr. was no longer a congressmen when Jr. was supposedly in Alabama. Other people (liars I suppose) saw him there on varying dates, it was the guard, not professional. And I believe he was performing non-flying duties, so I'm sure your uncle wasn't teaching Jr. anything in regards to flying.

Thread Information