Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Moderate freezing rain now coming down near NW Highway and Mustang Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsteve View Post
    Hey Anon, just wondering if this storm system is still going to give us some good moisture to help alleviate the drought we are in. I know for awhile they were predicting upwards of 2 inches or more of rain here in central Oklahoma but with the way this storm is panning out or should i say not panning out im very skeptical.
    may end up closer to 1.5 depending on how much falls tonight, but tomorrow should be good for a solid inch over the general C OK area.

Freezing line is retreating back to the SE as we head into dark. Roads will be okay, elevated objects will accumulate.

Freezing line keeps retreating. May have to add counties back to the FRZ Advisory... Meanwhile, NW half of the metro is seeing moderate icing taking place.

I found this storm's soundtrack.

In Stillwater, the temp has been very slowly trying to go up a tenth of a degree at a time. As of 7pm, with temps mostly 32 or 33, light rain was falling in Stillwater. It's not freezing, since rain wasn't freezing on my car while parked at a restaurant. More rain coming in from Logan County.

The rain is falling so heavily in some places, it is actually warming the surface air. This can be observed just NW of OKC and in through the Enid area. The majority of ice accumulation will take place with light rain and drizzle.

Arron Tuttle, meteorologist reported at 8:15 pm that "My tree limbs are bending over. Eeek! A few power outages reported now in OKC. Accumulating ice continues... (Edit: 31.8 degrees at the house, come on just 0.3 degrees more and I'm in the clear!)"

NW OK is getting it pretty bad. Freezing line beginning to race back to the NW now. Tomorrow will be cold and damp, and a big time drink in the evening.

That must be that "wall o' water" David Payne was talking about.

I'm all for being prepared........I'm surprised that people are pissed that we DIDN'T get a direct hit from an ice storm. The forecasters kept you safe with the best information they had.....These are the same people that wanted heads a month ago, or would lead the charge if they hadn't warned us about the storm and we did get a direct hit.........Take a deep breath people geez...look at the big picture...JMHO

I'm jaded regarding severe weather forecasts anymore.
    I don't care either way. Better to be prepared for the worst.

I was hoping for a huge record breaking snow storm. Since we didn't get snow I am happy it was just rain mostly. Ice is a no go for me.

13. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    I'm all for being prepared........I'm surprised that people are pissed that we DIDN'T get a direct hit from an ice storm. The forecasters kept you safe with the best information they had.....These are the same people that wanted heads a month ago, or would lead the charge if they hadn't warned us about the storm and we did get a direct hit.........Take a deep breath people geez...look at the big picture...JMHO
    This ^

A look at the current lightening activity going on in Texas and Oklahoma: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_light...aps.php?map=31

Looking at the current radar, the vast majority of the state is getting a soaking rain right now, which is a good thing for ponds, lakes, the water table, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Looking at the current radar, the vast majority of the state is getting a soaking rain right now, which is a good thing for ponds, lakes, the water table, etc.
    Precipitation now as of 2 am appears to be mostly over with from this weekend storm system, except for the eastern part of the state. It amounted to 2.26" here in Stillwater at my rain gauge. It will be interesting to see how much of a dent it makes in the drought here, now classified as severe.

Amazing soaking. This was definitely rare for winter time and much needed. If we can get another good one of these before spring, it would really go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I'm jaded regarding severe weather forecasts anymore.
    I don't care either way. Better to be prepared for the worst.
    The problem is that if you repeatedly forecast the worst, and the majority of that target forecast area gets next to *nothing* (in the vein of most extreme weather - in this case, an extensive ice storm), people stop listening to those "forecasts for the worst." There's got to be some middle point in the extremes. Within the "forecast to be safe" mindset, I think the tendency is to *over* forecast the worst, with the irony being that when the worst case doesn't happen, you lose credibility. I think right now there is an emerging generation in their 20's or so are simply not listening to the forecasts because - deserved or fair or not - they perceive the history of these forecasts to be more likely to "bust" and simply don't believe them.

One of the problems for me is the arrogance that oozes from them. Not only the weathermen and women, but the whole entire newscast team from all the channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    One of the problems for me is the arrogance that oozes from them. Not only the weathermen and women, but the whole entire newscast team from all the channels.
    Agree 100%. Especially Sutton and Morgasm.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Agree 100%. Especially Sutton and Morgasm.
    I don't blame Sutton quite so much because she's certainly having to do what The Boss tells her, and if that means hype it up, hyping it up is exactly what she'll do.

The problem is that, eventually, this is all going to come to a head - local TV stations are finding it harder and harder to stay relevant and local news/weather/sports is a vital revenue stream. I wonder if any station - just one of them - would dare be willing to come out and just say "Hey, we blew the last forecast. We'll try to do better." What *really* irritates me is that Ch 9 seems to just be doubling down by sending lots of video trucks to Woodward and focusing on their ice damage to make all the forecasts seem rationalized.

I still watch the locals just for kicks and giggles but with NWSNorman being so communicative with the daily video recaps during bad weather I find myself listening to them more than anyone now.

23. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    Yep. I see at least 6 billboards on my way to and from work plus numerous commercials telling me how accurate their weather/news is and how "We have superior technology they don't ", etc. If they're going to brag to us about how amazing they are then they should be prepared to catch flack when they're way off. Let's say an NFL QB promises a Super Bowl win before the season and his team doesn't make the playoffs. That preseason promise is going to be played on Sports Center over and over and he deserves it!

Thread Police revving up... much of this page could be moved to the Oklahoma Media - Weather Coverage thread.

After all the hoopla (or is that hubbub?) from last week, the ten-day GFS looks fairly mild and quiet..50's and 60's this week...maybe a chance at some showers on Saturday into Sunday, but it looks like the big jet stream track south is going to keep the moisture a bit restrained. Maybe some marginally cooler air coming in perhaps way at the end of the 10-day GFS forecast window, so take that for what it's worth this far out.

Thread Information