Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

1. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner View Post
    So conditions are degrading? Pretty much a guarantee for OKC then?
    Looks like models are going with higher amount. Latest Tweet: https://twitter.com/NWSNorman/status/819646957798957056

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

ICE STORM WARNING (Oklahoma County not included, so far, but has freezing rain advisory. See map.)

Areas Affected:
    Alfalfa - Blaine - Custer - Dewey - Ellis - Garfield - Grant - Harper - Kay - Kingfisher - Logan - Major - Noble - Payne - Roger Mills - Woods - Woodward
    Effective: Thu, 1/12 2:56pm Updated: Thu, 1/12 3:04pm Urgency: Expected
    Expires: Sun, 1/15 6:00am Severity: Moderate Certainty: Likely

Details:

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO 6 AM CST
    SUNDAY...
    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED AN ICE STORM
    WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO 6 AM CST SUNDAY.
    THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
    * TIMING...EARLY FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY
    * ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE-QUARTER TO ONE-
    HALF INCH. THE HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED SATURDAY.
    * WINDS...NORTH WIND AROUND 10 MPH
    * OTHER IMPACTS...ICE ACCUMULATIONS BY SATURDAY MAY BE ENOUGH TO
    CAUSE POWER OUTAGES. BRIDGES... OVERPASSES... AND SECONDARY
    ROADS MAY BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS... ESPECIALLY ON FRIDAY
    INTO EARLY SATURDAY.

Information:

BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL. EVEN SMALL AMOUNTS OF ICE CAN MAKE
    ROADS AND SIDEWALKS SLICK.

Here is the full state with ice advisories. This map will refresh as it is live.

I think the distribution is perfect, the borderline counties in pink, the nearly guaranteed counties in purple.

Looks like some of the metro school districts are already calling tomorrow. Mid-Del and Western Heights already closed. Moore superintendent sent out a tweet indicating they'll make a decision soon.

I think the distribution is perfect, the borderline counties in pink, the nearly guaranteed counties in purple.
    They both look purple to me lol

6. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Just curious, what amount of accumulation of ice did we have with the Thanksgiving weekend 2015 ice storm? Tree damage with that storm seemed to have been exacerbated by all of the foliage still left on limbs, so hopefully having most limbs bare at this point in the year will spare some damage this time around. This will only be my second or third ice storm, so I don't have a lot to go on.

By some very bad planning on my part, I had to go pick something up at the WM Neighborhood Market at 23rd & Penn and it looked like people were stocking up for World War III.

Looks like we may be getting more of the "worst case scenario" with this.
    Checked a lunch update and one model had this whole system moving South and East about 30 miles encompassing a larger area impacted by ice.

Prep now if you haven't already:

Candles, matches, blankets, water, food, shovels, sand, salt, etc.

I grocery shopped on Monday so we're set for the entire weekend. I don't envy anyone getting out now. Pete confirmed what will be going on at every grocery store.

And for the love of God, don't be stupid and again, stay aware and stay safe.

OKCPS has cancelled classes for Friday. No surprise but I'm glad to see they did it proactively instead of at the last minute.

10. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Stay safe everyone. Hoping for no power outages and safe roads for all. Glad I went to the store a few days ago.

Here's what TWC showed at 16:00 today, sorry for the poor quality, it's a pic of the TV screen (there's no actual blue on there, it's all purple (ice)).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	642.6 KB 
ID:	13427

12. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Just curious, what amount of accumulation of ice did we have with the Thanksgiving weekend 2015 ice storm? Tree damage with that storm seemed to have been exacerbated by all of the foliage still left on limbs, so hopefully having most limbs bare at this point in the year will spare some damage this time around. This will only be my second or third ice storm, so I don't have a lot to go on.
    From what I remember being on the tree limbs I was trying to save I would estimate about a half inch.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    They both look purple to me lol
    Yes, you are right sorry! Light purple is on border and dark is the nearly guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    We had about 2/3" here around NW 50th and Portland. But you're right, the trees still had their foliage which almost certainly worsened it.

Some of the high-res models are now painting some very high totals across OKC by mid-day tomorrow, but the forecast precipitation is just very spotty convection that will be impossible to predict in advance. Definitely something to keep an eye on. Otherwise, going by the latest official forecasts for about 1/4", with many models giving less, I think many are overreacting in OKC (NW OK is a different story). With the convective nature of the precip there may be some isolated areas that get much heavier amounts but I don't imagine they'll be widespread. Roads will be bad tomorrow but should be okay again by Saturday. I personally don't see the need for totally cleared bread shelves. We'll see if I change my story by tomorrow morning lol.

I've noticed there has been very little national news coverage over this storm.
    Usually a couple days before I see stories here and there about how such and such part of the country is bracing for severe weather.
    Not so much this time. Not that I care, but it is something I noticed.

And one of out local news meteorologists was showing Tulsa will be just outside that major freezing line. He said to the North and West - you folks won't be as lucky.

Here we are just a few hours away from something major or minor happening in OKC and no one really knows for sure. I hear reports of heavy ice and then hear reports of a light glaze in OKC.

Well the grocery store I work at officially has sold more groceries today than we did before Thanksgiving

We're loaded on food and meat from the farm but had to make one more run and grabbed the last pack of Cold Snap so ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    I've noticed there has been very little national news coverage over this storm.
    Usually a couple days before I see stories here and there about how such and such part of the country is bracing for severe weather.
    Not so much this time. Not that I care, but it is something I noticed.

And one of out local news meteorologists was showing Tulsa will be just outside that major freezing line. He said to the North and West - you folks won't be as lucky.
    I saw old Al Roker this morning and someone on ABC....talking about it on every cut in.......

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    I saw old Al Roker this morning and someone on ABC....talking about it on every cut in.......
    Was he skinny Al or Big Al ? Seriously though, I have also heard the national media talking about storm Juniper all week.

^^ Must be me then.

Drizzle and showers forming now across SE OK, this will spread to the W and SW and begin training SW to NE with a development movement to the N.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Was he skinny Al or Big Al ? Seriously though, I have also heard the national media talking about storm Juniper all week.
    Winter Storm Jupiter: Crippling Plains Ice Storm Begins Early Friday After West Buried in Feet of Snow https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...FQGraQodDKgFyA

Somehow, Stillwater hasn't had a serious ice storm since 2002. It will be interesting to see if it can keep up the good luck of avoiding them this weekend. During the 2002 Stillwater ice storm, a branch from a Bradford Pear tree fell on the house. No serious damage. Later, while at work, electricity went off for over an hour. It wasn't much fun trying to read under the dim light of battery backup lighting.

Stillwater Public Schools and OSU are closed for Friday.

25. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - January and February 2017

Brought a bunch of firewood up to the porch, got two crock pots cooking (chicken and dumplings and pulled pork for tacos), and signed up for another free trial of HBO for some binge watching. My disaster preparedness is complete.

Thread Information