Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Ranch

Northwest OKC The Ranch

My wife and I ate here on Friday for the first time in our 8 years here in OKC. Not much to add other than holy crap it was amazing. I'm sure the "best steakhouse" discussion has been beat to death on here several times over the years, but everything was top notch. I had the 10oz filet and my wife had their scallops dish. The best was probably their brussel sprouts side with bacon and bleu cheese though, it was awesome.

Default Re: The Ranch

Hands down best steakhouse in the city. Lobster mac side is incredible.

3. Default Re: The Ranch

I concur.

over all steakhouse... absolutely best in the city... as for best steak, i jump back and forth between here and Red Prime... but Red Prime seems to be up and down for me based upon each time i go there... the Ranch is consistent, and always so good

I agree still my favorite upper end steakhouse. I will say, I've been critical of Red Prime in the past, but my last trip there I had a great experience, fantastic food and much better service than the time before.

For me personally The Ranch is more my cup of tea as far as atmosphere, so I'd tend to lean that way although really when it comes down to food, they are very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I agree still my favorite upper end steakhouse. I will say, I've been critical of Red Prime in the past, but my last trip there I had a great experience, fantastic food and much better service than the time before.

For me personally The Ranch is more my cup of tea as far as atmosphere, so I'd tend to lean that way although really when it comes down to food, they are very close.
    I need to give Red Prime another chance. The last time I went was over a year ago and it was good, but not great. Mahogany downtown is a close second to the Ranch for me. I like my steak prepared simply, salt & pepper topped with butter so the different rubs and sauces don't do a lot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I need to give Red Prime another chance. The last time I went was over a year ago and it was good, but not great. Mahogany downtown is a close second to the Ranch for me. I like my steak prepared simply, salt & pepper topped with butter so the different rubs and sauces don't do a lot for me.
    It's hard to give money to a place, like them, that is expensive when you've had a less than stellar experience. A lot of times I just stick with what I can count on.

With that being said, you should give them a second chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've been to the Ranch once and didn't like it. I thought the food there was very bland. I like Mahogany better, but their food is kind of bland, as well. RedPrime is great, my favorite. Took my fiancé there for our proposal dinner weekend before Christmas. Not only do they do their steaks right, but they have so many good appetizers, sides, desserts. Everything is excellent, including the service.

The Ranch is the best steak house in OKC. Your mouth -- and mind -- were not lying to you.

When I went to Mahogany's I thought the cut of meat was really high quality, but when they described how they cooked it I'm surprised there wasn't much crust on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I've been to the Ranch once and didn't like it. I thought the food there was very bland. I like Mahogany better, but their food is kind of bland, as well. RedPrime is great, my favorite. Took my fiancé there for our proposal dinner weekend before Christmas. Not only do they do their steaks right, but they have so many good appetizers, sides, desserts. Everything is excellent, including the service.
    Ranch is a very traditional steakhouse style, simple salt/pepper rub and the sides use pretty standard seasonings. For out of town guests where I dont know what they like I always bring them to the Ranch.

Personally I like Red Prime better as well as I like interesting crusts/sauces and like their sides are more flavorful.

Love the Ranch! IMO, it's hands down the best steak in OKC. Only other comparable experience I've had in the state is Polo Grill in Tulsa, but that was only one visit. So not sure if they're consistent. In OKC metro, the only place that came close to me was Broadway 10, but a lot of that has to do with atmosphere. My visits there have been a little inconsistent, ranging from ok to very good. All my visits at the Ranch have been very good.

Anybody remember what Mexican restaurant it was before it became The Ranch?

Blog Entries

JC Garcias (I think)

i found an ad by searching for the ranch's address in the oklahoman archives... in 1986, it was nino's.

at their height of popularity, they had locations all around town. the one just north of i-240 and western was our go-to for mexican food when i was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    JC Garcias (I think)
    Yep.

And before that, the theme restaurant Great American Railroad was on that site. After Garcia's, it was Good Eats Cafe.

Thanks, and I seem to remember a water tank-type thing that would probably have been for the Great American Railroad? I thought I had just been in there to get gallon jugs of frozen margaritas when I worked at The Village/Commerce Bank drive-in back in the 80s, but wife said we had actually eaten inside sometime in the 90s, and I did vaguely remembered it, but not what restaurant it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks, and I seem to remember a water tank-type thing that would probably have been for the Great American Railroad? I thought I had just been in there to get gallon jugs of frozen margaritas when I worked at The Village/Commerce Bank drive-in back in the 80s, but wife said we had actually eaten inside sometime in the 90s, and I did vaguely remembered it, but not what restaurant it actually was.
    There was a period of time where the building was split into 2 separate businesses and if I recall correctly, there was a seafood shop next door.

Thread Information