Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 182 FirstFirst 1234567853103 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Russia, something or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Great post...

And as for "fake news," it's another piece of candy being thrown out there. Fake news didn't get anyone elected and the media coverage from the major networks and their websites more than made up for it in any case. OR, are people really suggesting that the voters who read that stuff actually tipped the entire election??? I thought the people who read alternative and fake news were just a very small minority of conspiracy theorists?

Those really falling for the mainstream blaming alternative and fake news sites need to realize they're doing it to save face. I think many are still in disbelief Trump won when it simply wasn't supposed to happen. Also, it's an excuse for entities like Facebook to continue molding us like clay. Now they have an active interest based upon a situation they've made up and can start aggressively filtering things they don't want people to see. It has to have the stamp of CNN, FNC, MSNBC, ABC, or CBS for it be deemed qualified. That's the whole point of this, right?

So which is it? Uneducated hick whites? Russia? Fake news?

The excuses (those three are just the main ones we've been told by the media) are piling on and it's reached a pathetic point. Pick one and go with it because some of us are getting bored.
    Did you read any of the links from the Google search I posted?

"BuzzFeed News reported that "top fake election news stories generated more total engagement on Facebook than top election stories from 19 major news outlets combined.""

"Margot Susca, a professor of journalism and communication at American University, said it can become difficult for Facebook and Twitter users to decipher the legitimacy of a news story because oftentimes fake articles are published on websites that sound trustworthy in name and provide professional looking layout and graphics but really aren't trustworthy.

Moreover, Susca said many news consumers only bother to read a headline, never reading the story where there may, or may not, be a disclaimer at the bottom indicating the story was satirical."

As far as "It has to have the stamp of CNN, FNC, MSNBC, ABC, or CBS for it be deemed qualified. That's the whole point of this, right? ", no it's not, there are many, many, many more websites or entities that are reliable media companies/outlets, and not all of them are in the USA. Facebook is not one of them, read up on that.

I'm not sure you understand what "fake news" in this context means - it is not the tinfoil-hat, conspiracy theorist, fringe types of stories, it's stories that are either satirical (but sound real), truly fake (but sound real), or reposts of Facebook posts/tweets that are lies.

Default Re: Russia, something or nothing?

For the record, I have not said or implied that whatever the Russians have done invalidates the election.

The election is over.

As for my statement that the GOP benefitted, it did. That's hard to argue against. The degree to which they did probably can't be quantified. Regardless, the democrats were not the beneficiaries of the stolen information.

The information released by Russia was selective and intentionally so.

If the parties were reversed, would the arguments be the same? I doubt it.

I don't see this as a partisan issue. Regardless of who benefits, it is bad.

Are there broader implications for the president elect? There may be. We don't know enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

"BuzzFeed News reported that "top fake election news stories generated more total engagement on Facebook than top election stories from 19 major news outlets combined.""

"Margot Susca, a professor of journalism and communication at American University, said it can become difficult for Facebook and Twitter users to decipher the legitimacy of a news story because oftentimes fake articles are published on websites that sound trustworthy in name and provide professional looking layout and graphics but really aren't trustworthy.

Moreover, Susca said many news consumers only bother to read a headline, never reading the story where there may, or may not, be a disclaimer at the bottom indicating the story was satirical."

As far as "It has to have the stamp of CNN, FNC, MSNBC, ABC, or CBS for it be deemed qualified. That's the whole point of this, right? ", no it's not, there are many, many, many more websites or entities that are reliable media companies/outlets, and not all of them are in the USA. Facebook is not one of them, read up on that.

I'm not sure you understand what "fake news" in this context means - it is not the tinfoil-hat, conspiracy theorist, fringe types of stories, it's stories that are either satirical (but sound real), truly fake (but sound real), or reposts of Facebook posts/tweets that are lies.
    All this proves is that people are really, really stupid. And page views doesn't necessarily mean actually reading all of the content (mentioned above). For better or worse. At what point is freedom of speech and press brought into a conversation like this? At what point do we say people need to figure simple things out themselves.

Of all those views cited above, how many were by teenagers scrolling through Facebook and Twitter all day who aren't even of voting age? That's an important detail to note...

But, I'll stand by my assertion that this is all a move to crack down on things that don't pass through "official" gates.

If fake news can win elections, Democrats need to get good at it too. I don't think Republicans knew it'd be such a powerful tool. Get ready for a bunch of crazy crap coming from both sides in years to come. It's not FB's responsibility to do anything here except in countries such as Germany which are planning to levy stiff fines for carrying fake news. FB operates to generate a profit, not deliver trustworthy information.

In fact, FB profits from delivering untrustworthy information because they bring you stories which are more likely to generate clicks due to your political leanings.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If fake news can win elections, Democrats need to get good at it too.
    Um the Dems are great at fake news already. Remember Benghazi was started because of youtube video. That was a fake talking point put out by the dems

The election process takes about a year and a half to complete. Trump somehow beat his Republican opponents without Russian assistance. Sure Russia is "evil" but really it's in insult to the American people to say Trump won just because of the Russians.

Expert advice about fake news from Buzzfeed. You can't make this stuff up.

Educating Americans would be the best thing ever, in lots of ways. However, it's not going to happen that way in our lifetimes, America's too polarized and so much of it is in an echo chamber, and lots of people just don't want to know anything that challenges their beliefs. Salon (or Slate) has some kind of app that helps point out fake news in your Facebook feed, not sure how good it is (not on Facebook), or how well it will work long-term, but Facebook needs to change things, they're a huge media company now, despite their denials, and they need to act like a responsible one, not just accepting anything for anybody's feed almost blindly. I didn't say fake news got Trump elected, but it may have played a part in it, and yes, Clinton was probably unelectable, I would've taken Warren any day over her.
    About like an app from salon pointing out fake news.....

This article only summarizes and skims the surface of detailing what the U.S. has done over the last 50 years around the world to impact foreign elections:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...213-story.html

I daresay it's a must read for everyone on this thread.

10. Default Re: Russia, something or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    About like an app from salon pointing out fake news.....
    Oh, FFS, cite some fake news salon.com has published. Put up or shut up.

And here's the Chrome extension (not an app, sorry) if anybody is actually interested in reading about something being done about fake news:

http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/12/sla...it-themselves/

And here's the Chrome extension (not an app, sorry) if anybody is actually interested in reading about something being done about fake news:

Um, recently.

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/15/dona...re-extra-bold/

I won't mention any of their crazier opinion pieces, cause that's not really fake news. But Salon will bite with the rest of them. Apparently we all share the same Twitter feeds.

This article only summarizes and skims the surface of detailing what the U.S. has done over the last 50 years around the world to impact foreign elections:

Thank you for only posting the link (just the link). And your own words in the body. It is very much appreciated.

Thank you for only posting the link. And your own words in the body. It is very much appreciated.

I noticed any nefarious meddling by Obama was conspicuously omitted.

The LA Times article does not present any new information.

Anyone with a slight knowledge of american history after WWII knows the degree to which the US has committed many bad deeds and atrocities. We've used nuclear weapons, stole as many nazi scientists as we could--and exempted them from war crimes trials, napalmed children in vietnam, etc, so whatever anybody wants to do, ok...

I guess instead of an "apology tour," we're now embarking on a "capitulation tour."

What a strange twist in our formerly nationalistic conservatives. We've done bad stuff so, whatever.

The shrug doctrine: Make America Whatever Again...as long as the GOP is in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    The LA Times article does not present any new information.

Anyone with a slight knowledge of american history after WWII knows the degree to which the US has committed many bad deeds and atrocities. We've used nuclear weapons, stole as many nazi scientists as we could--and exempted them from war crimes trials, napalmed children in vietnam, etc, so whatever anybody wants to do, ok...

I guess instead of an "apology tour," we're now embarking on a "capitulation tour."

What a strange twist in our formerly nationalistic conservatives. We've done bad stuff so, whatever.

The shrug doctrine: Make America Whatever Again...as long as the GOP is in charge.
    As opposed to Hope and Change to whatever. Same song, different verse.

Do you really think a hyper-partisan site like Salon is going to give an honest assessment of what is real and what is fake?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If fake news can win elections, Democrats need to get good at it too. I don't think Republicans knew it'd be such a powerful tool. Get ready for a bunch of crazy crap coming from both sides in years to come. It's not FB's responsibility to do anything here except in countries such as Germany which are planning to levy stiff fines for carrying fake news. FB operates to generate a profit, not deliver trustworthy information.

In fact, FB profits from delivering untrustworthy information because they bring you stories which are more likely to generate clicks due to your political leanings.
    I think a lot of people are misrepresenting or co-opting the fake news phenomenon. The bulk of it wasn't necessarily strategically generated and disseminated by the national parties or the candidates themselves. It was largely financially motivated. Some learned that fake news was shared more than real news, so they started making their own sites and generating revenue from the traffic. Many of the same producers of the fake news created sites to bait both sides of the political spectrum. It just so happened that stories baiting one side of that spectrum were more financially successful.

Now, the "fake news" label is being attached to things that really aren't fake news, but more unfounded political misdirection. If Trump tweets that 3 million people voted illegally, reporting that is not fake news, even if what he tweeted is unsubstantiated. Fake news would be a report of him tweeting something he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Do you really think a hyper-partisan site like Salon is going to give an honest assessment of what is real and what is fake?
    There is a difference between fabricating stories and presenting them with a partisan slant. If they present a piece of fiction as news, then it's fake news. If they comment on something that happened, that's just poltical commentary.

Basically:

News: The CIA and FBI think the Russians hacked the DNC and released emails to wikileaks.
    Commentary: That's bad for democracy and changed the election.
    Fake News: The CIA thinks Hillary Clinton is running a child prostitution ring out of a laundromat.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    There is a difference between fabricating stories and presenting them with a partisan slant. If they present a piece of fiction as news, then it's fake news. If they comment on something that happened, that's just poltical commentary.

Basically:

News: The CIA and FBI think the Russians hacked the DNC and released emails to wikileaks.
    Commentary: That's bad for democracy and changed the election.
    Fake News: The CIA thinks Hillary Clinton is running a child prostitution ring out of a laundromat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salon Articl.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	13379

Salon = Breitbart for the Left

I understand the article linked is not as misleading, but this is exactly what Breitbart does. Flame throwing, misleading headlines, more or less straight articles with commentary mixed in.

20. Default Re: Russia, something or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Um, recently.

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/15/dona...re-extra-bold/

I won't mention any of their crazier opinion pieces, cause that's not really fake news. But Salon will bite with the rest of them. Apparently we all share the same Twitter feeds.
    How is this fake news? CBS reports that sources say his transition team asked for the clearances, CNN re-reported that, Trump's team denies it. Seems like something Trump's team would do, so who's lying? I'd go with Trump's team lying, as they have so many times about so many other things, their track record isn't great about truth.

Salon = Breitbart for the Left

I understand the article linked is not as misleading, but this is exactly what Breitbart does. Flame throwing, misleading headlines, more or less straight articles with commentary mixed in.
    I'm not denying that many many publications and media outlets operate with slant. That does not necessarily make it fake. Sure, at its worst, it's bad journalism. But you know what... no one pays journalists anymore and that probably has something to do with people liking the commentary more than the information. And now it seems they like the information to always fit their beliefs, even if it's made up. And some people have known this for a long time. Some have even written books on how to use that to make a deal (sorry... too easy).

It's sort of like the old WWE fans. They don't really care if it's fake or not, they just like what they're seeing.

22. Default Re: Russia, something or nothing?

Are we also putting the DNC on par with the federal election commission. We all realize these are not one in the same right? The election was not hacked. Political hacks were (maybe) hacked.

There appears to be REAL election hacks in Detroit as mentioned above. I'll hold my breath for outrage to ensue.
    From the very article you linked to:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/12/18/detroit-ballots-vote-recount-election-stein/95570866/
    Those small numbers, which add up to 782 total spread out across more than 200 precincts, tend to point to human or machine malfunction as the culprit, rather than widespread fraud.

I'm beginning to wonder if anybody understands the difference between commentary and news.

How is this fake news? CBS reports that sources say his transition team asked for the clearances, CNN re-reported that, Trump's team denies it. Seems like something Trump's team would do, so who's lying? I'd go with Trump's team lying, as they have so many times about so many other things, their track record isn't great about truth.
    Yes, all the majors posted this one, but with what proof? The only plausible proof denies it, yet you call that person the liar? OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if anybody understands the difference between commentary and news.
    Same.

Thread Information