Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downtown populations in other cities

Default Re: Downtown populations in other cities

Quote Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
    Your Dallas comments are so off base. I am not quite certain where you get your information, but Dallas has dozens of residential buildings with several thousand residents in its central business district. I sense a case of Dallas envy.
    I'm not sure which post you're addressing, but the info above suggests Dallas' CBD has over 13,000 residents . . . That's not small, for the region and for Texas, specifically.

I wonder how that 6,000 number for Tulsa was figured? I thought downtown Tulsa was the Inner Dispersal Loop which had a 2010 population of 1,944 (not including the jail population). Perhaps Riverview to the south was added which brings the total to 4,564. Have those two areas seen that much growth since 2010 to add 1,500 residents?

The population of downtown Des Moines was 3,364 in 2010. Adding East Village (across the river) brings the total to 4,597.

I can do more later but the data will be from 2010.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    I wonder how that 6,000 number for Tulsa was figured? I thought downtown Tulsa was the Inner Dispersal Loop which had a 2010 population of 1,944 (not including the jail population). Perhaps Riverview to the south was added which brings the total to 4,564. Have those two areas seen that much growth since 2010 to add 1,500 residents?

The population of downtown Des Moines was 3,364 in 2010. Adding East Village (across the river) brings the total to 4,597.

I can do more later but the data will be from 2010.
    For the 2010 Census downtown Tulsa in the IDL was tract 25 was 3,980. I don’t know why any of the Tulsa Jail prisoners would be listed a residents in that tract, they are not permanently living there, it’s not a prison, it’s a short term jail. Who fills out their census form from jail as living in jail?

The Uptown area which includes the Riverview neighborhood is tracts 31 and 32 with 2,620 and 1,511 people. Traditionally these areas are part of downtown Tulsa, Uptown was cut off from the rest of downtown when the south leg of IDL was built in the early 1980s. There are lots of midrise and even high rise buildings there. It’s actually where most of downtown’s high rise apartments are. When I lived in Uptown in the 90s it was still called downtown. The name “Uptown” didn’t exist until 10-15 years ago.

So the total “downtown” population for Tulsa was 8,111 in 2010, which would be in that “mile 1” stat from the article posted earlier. Since 2010 something like 800 housing units have been added downtown so Tulsa should be close to 10,000 people downtown now with between 5,000 and 6,000 in the IDL itself.

^ Thanks for that. The jail population is included with the 3,980 number, however. Using this website http://justicemap.org/ you can get down to the block level for population (which uses 2010 Census data in this instance), and 2,036 is recorded for Tulsa County Jail which is how I got 1,944 for the IDL. Including census tracts 31 and 32 brings the population to 6,075. Homeless shelters also record population data, but I didn't exclude those numbers simply because I just don't know whether to or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    ^ Thanks for that. The jail population is included with the 3,980 number, however. Using this website http://justicemap.org/ you can get down to the block level for population (which uses 2010 Census data in this instance), and 2,036 is recorded for Tulsa County Jail which is how I got 1,944 for the IDL. Including census tracts 31 and 32 brings the population to 6,075. Homeless shelters also record population data, but I didn't exclude those numbers simply because I just don't know whether to or not.
    It makes no logical sense that the census would include city/county jail populations, but then that does make the numbers tie.

I personally would include homeless shelters in the population counts, they do not have another home somewhere else where they should be counted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    It makes no logical sense that the census would include city/county jail populations, but then that does make the numbers tie.

I personally would include homeless shelters in the population counts, they do not have another home somewhere else where they should be counted.
    What Tulsa did here is like a text book example of bad urban planning.

In the early 1980s Tulsa built the south leg of the IDL which cut off the southernmost part of downtown. The side tied to the CBD to the north now has a barrier between it and the healthy residential areas south of the highway. Over the ensuing 30+ years most of the residential on the north side of the IDL dies and becomes surface parking lots serving the CBD, a parking crater, one of the worst in the nation. South of the IDL the exact same kind of housing stock remains in use and healthy to this day, probably due to its location right next to the healthy and desirable midtown area.

It's a very good thing that around that same time the state was blocked from building an Interstate Highway where Riverside Drive/Parkway is today.

Jail populations are included in other group housing facilities including fraternities, elderly homes, convents, etc. The Census counts where you reside on January 1 (I think).

^ The above poster (welcome to OKC Talk btw) who once again implied I have something against Dallas - I don't, count me as a fan. I also have nothing against Philly, Tulsa, or any other city that anyone may come at me with. Just posting numbers, not trying to get into debates over this, as I've already stated the obvious issues with data quality on these self-reported population counts (usually by Downtown BIDs). The 1-mile increments make a lot more sense for comparing apples to apples.

If you google "downtown dallas population" you'll get 6,074. The below links all say 7,000 to 7,500. That's the number I decided against including, bc I figured it wasn't really fair or representative.

https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...pulation-17727

http://www.dallas-ecodev.org/redevel...nded-downtown/

http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...-neighborhood/

That's four sources that all say 6-8,000. I promise you anyone doing site/market analysis does not have the time to research any deeper . Time is money.

Thread Information