Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    Sure it is. Big differences.
    No it really isn't.

2. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    No it really isn't.
    Decent straw man, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Sure, they have reason to be angry but what good does it do to fight any and everything proposed in place of the golf course? The golf course isnt coming back so a few more homes, nice walking trails and some small amount of commercial development sounds much better than whats there now.
    I don't disagree with you, but I expect more than a few of the folks in opposition would prefer what's there now to new development.

Decent straw man, but no.
    I can't believe I have to do this, but....

You buy a house with a lake in the back yard you fully expect to always have a lake there.

You buy a house with a golf course in the back yard you fully expect there to always be a golf course there.

Same. Thing.

Maybe you don't value a golf course as much as you do a lake, but I can damn sure promise you the people bought those houses BECAUSE there was a golf course there and they most definitely have reason to be pissed, especially with the shady way it was done. And no, there's no mixed use development in existence that will make them feel better about what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Already checked. Still owned by the same people. Maybe they didn't meet their reserve
    FYI, there were six parcels up for bid and four of them sold for 2.16MM. The largest parcel was purchased by a homebuilder.

6. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    FYI, there were six parcels up for bid and four of them sold for 2.16MM. The largest parcel was purchased by a homebuilder.
    Thanks for the update! Do you happen to know the builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Thanks for the update! Do you happen to know the builder?
    No, I have no idea who purchased any of the tracts. The largest one sold was 74 acres, all fairway, and it was already approved for residential. I don't think the corner (where a convenience store could eventually go) met his reserve.

Blog Entries

It’s actually a lot different.
    How?

Maybe some life left in the golf course after all

https://agenda.edmondok.com:8086/age...=15109&prev=0#

10. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Yeah but if you look at plans it will only have a handful of holes. Not the entire property.

But for property owners, its better than houses. From what I understand, it would've cost too much money to redo the irrigation for the entire course/property

Does anyone have any updates on where everything stands with this? It has been so quiet for so long.

Some really housing units were proposed to fit in with a greenway trail connecting to a small mixed use retail development at Coffee Creek and Kelly. In typical Edmond NIMBY fashion there was uproar and the excuse this time was the homes backing up to the golf course property were entitled to have that feature for all eternity. There’s always an excuse why Edmond can’t build anything other than bland cookie cutter strip malls and homes barring few exceptions downtown and frankly Edmond’s downtown doesn’t really excite me all that much other than its potential which is big.

So the current situation is nothing more than cookie cutter housing and maybe the same for some strip mall or office buildings on the corner. That’s it. Surprise surprise.

From what I understand a golf pro shop with driving range and putting greens is currently being constructed. I don't like golf at all, but something like this is perfect for that part of town.

As for the NIMBY comments above, people bought in that neighborhood with the golf course there as part of the neighborhood. I don't live there, but I would be completely p'd off if I spent extra money on a house for the view of a golf course only for it to be sold and have apartments put in, or really anything other than some sort of greenbelt. You bet I would be astronomically mad. Now if I bought a house that backed up to just a giant parcel of empty land, that would be a totally different story.

This situation and scenario would be played out exactly the same in neighborhoods surrounding any golf course in any town. Even OKC alone -- Surrey Hills, Hidden Trails, Earlywine -- you don't think the people who bought houses backing up to those courses would be angry? I'll leave OKC Golf and Country Club out since I'm sure you feel they are ultra and dirty rich and feel entitled to their golf course lands.

You (Plutonic) always have some sort of NIMBY negative comment in almost any post that involves shooting down development that involves Edmond. I don't understand your negativity with people who don't want things that I guess you want around their houses. Do you live in Edmond? What is your beef with Edmond? Has Edmond done something to you personally?

People choose to move to Edmond because of the place it is and for the quality of life it offers. Duh.

Nobody proposed apartments on the golf course. so your entire comment is complete BS.

Your reading comprehension is also questionable or you’re just responding emotionally without reason or logic. Because if you actually paid attention to my posting history in the Edmond thread, you know that I’ve stated multiple times I love, Edmond, I grew up here, and my family has quite a bit of history and developing parts of the city. If, and when I make it big-time in the entertainment industry out here in LA if I can ever overcome my issues that I have going on in my life, it would be an honor to use some of that money to come back and be a part of Edmond’s growth.

So yes, it makes me very angry when I see development after development that isn’t anything else other than a cookie cutter strip mall or tract housing development shot down.

Now to the point of the homes that backed up against the golfing course yes I can understand why those homeowners would be mad. Frankly, I personally would not feel comfortable having a home that backs right up to a golf course. But for those who do and enjoy it. Yes I can understand the anger. But the problem goes beyond that. it’s the general mentality around the city of Edmonites who are the worst NIMBYs just screaming no at everything. Downtown is the exception.

I can’t wait to see how these folks react when they learn a commuter rail station is planned at Coffee Creek Road

^^ Completely wrong. I'd hold off on calling someone's comment as BS if you don't even know what was proposed. No sense debating with someone who doesn't even know the facts about the land. Maybe you were responding emotionally without reason or logic. LOL

https://www.koco.com/article/edmond-...-area/32679520

Have a good evening.

That article is a bunch of bs. Show me a site plan that shows apartments? Maybe they were on the corner of Coffee Creek and Kelly but not on the golf course like the other poster claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That article is a bunch of bs. Show me a site plan that shows apartments? Maybe they were on the corner of Coffee Creek and Kelly but not on the golf course like the other poster claimed.
    Frylock* “hit the boobie cannons””

Paul: “what?”

Frylock: “oh nothing I didn’t say anything”

Paul: “okay good, because I thought you said hit the boobie cannons and that would have made me awful mad”

Meatwad: “she loves you, she just wants your attention”

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    You (Plutonic) always have some sort of NIMBY negative comment in almost any post that involves shooting down development that involves Edmond. I don't understand your negativity with people who don't want things that I guess you want around their houses. Do you live in Edmond? What is your beef with Edmond? Has Edmond done something to you personally?
    His daddy is a developer. He lacks the empathy to understand the frustration of people for whom $300K-$500K is a lot of money and they have nearly all of it tied up in their family homes which folks like Panda's daddy have the power to enhance or destroy by the almost seemingly arbitrary decisions in what to devlelop on adjacent property. Will it be an office complex or will it be Section 8 housing? Your family's future will be significantly affected based on what Panda's daddy chooses.

--and if you don't like it and stand in their way, you're a NIMBY ahole.

Hope that clears things up.

And it's precisely that lack of empathy and that lack of building things which don't harm adjacent landowners which has created this sort of relationship in Edmond between homeowners and developers.

It’s pretty funny that out of all the times I applaud Edmond for doing something, the times I don’t have and have criticism it must be because I hate Edmond or the fact that my daddy is a developer and so here lies some conspiracy theory that explains why I have criticism. Sure.

* edit to correct spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s pretty funny that out of all the times I applaud admin for doing something the times I don’t have criticism it just must be because I hate Edmond or the fact that my daddy is a developer and so here lies some conspiracy theory that explains why I have criticism. Sure.
    You don't hate Edmond, you just see it differently. Undeveloped land is opportunity, landowners are challenges to overcome, not people with lives and interests which should also be considered. You'd likely think nothing of developing Section 8 housing in the middle of town. Traffic, overcrowding local schools, blight.. not your problem.

Developers have all of the power to make that relationship less contentious and they steamroll residents anyhow. It's just frustrating to them in Edmond that our municipal government gives a lot of attention to the interests of the residents.

And that's fine for us. Edmond doesn't want giant developments or sprawling multifamily complexes. We don't want "lifestyle centers" or shopping malls.

And that's going to lead to slow growth, which many of us see as a feature and not a bug.

23. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

I dig the Aqua Teen Hunger Force quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You don't hate Edmond, you just see it differently. Undeveloped land is opportunity, landowners are challenges to overcome, not people with lives and interests which should also be considered. You'd likely think nothing of developing Section 8 housing in the middle of town. Traffic, overcrowding local schools, blight.. not your problem.

Developers have all of the power to make that relationship less contentious and they steamroll residents anyhow. It's just frustrating to them in Edmond that our municipal government gives a lot of attention to the interests of the residents.

And that's fine for us. Edmond doesn't want giant developments or sprawling multifamily complexes. We don't want "lifestyle centers" or shopping malls.

And that's going to lead to slow growth, which many of us see as a feature and not a bug.
    But that attitude affects the entire Metro area. Edmond has the demographics that upscale retail developers and stores look for. Maybe the only place in the Metro that truly does. So it sucks for us who live elsewhere in the Metro have no opportunity to shop at upscale stores, and have to go to Dallas for it. If Edmond were willing in the last 25 years, the Metro would very likely have had an upscale center that would draw people from all over Oklahoma. And I'm talking more upscale than Classen Curve could ever dream of being. And it would make a killing, and benefit Edmond so much, on OKC's back, for the most part. But no, NIMBY-ism is so rampant there. Look at Frisco and Plano. They are killing it in EVERY way. They make Edmond look like child's play, and all because Edmond is so anti-growth.

But if someone wants to put a fast food restaurant up or strip center with laundromat and herbalife place, they are more than fine to approve it. But the expansion of the Spring Creek development on 15th and Bryant? Or, too much traffic or we have to care about the environment and prettiness of the Creek. They don't care about the Creek. They just want control, and go against their own best interest due to NIMBY-ism.

Maybe I am a bit selfish, of course. But I know the Metro area would benefit and be even better than it currently is, if Edmond weren't so anti-growth and selfish. They mislead developers, pull the wool over their eyes, and piss them off so they don't try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post

I don’t necessarily agree that Edmond doesn’t want lifestyle centers. I think there’s a prevailing mentality in Edmond, such as the way you phrase it I would agree with you a lot of Edmondnites think that they don’t want such a development but I’d argue it would be very successful. It just hasn’t been given a chance.

Look at downtown Edmond.

As far as any traffic issues go that is only going to get worse over time and OKC sprawls. Edmond has just been on the outer fringes of the metropolitan area for a while, but that is going to change.

Thread Information