Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    They’ve now put up the large rezoning signs all over the propert. Expect this to start getting very heated.
    Did you happen to notice if there was a particular zoning they're attempting to attain? Multi-family? Offices? Retail? Any indication?

Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    They’ve now put up the large rezoning signs all over the propert. Expect this to start getting very heated.
    https://newsok.com/article/5602958/p...hbors-concerns

From your keyboard to their ears...

3. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

I know they don't like it but looking at the new plan I think this is best case scenario. THey are keeping a ton of green space, plus they aren't putting those tiny homes on the southern strip. The bigger lot are around the bigger homes, while most of the smaller lots are around those patio homes to the NE.

I don't know if it was an oversight, or they knew all along, but they should have rezoned this to Agriculture years ago in order to solve this problem.

What are the neighbors wanting? If its keeping the golf course, then they should have or should offer the money to buy it and then operate it. You cant demand someone to do something that isnt viable, unless you want to do it yourself. Always lots of opinions in Edmond on development that arent usually grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    What are the neighbors wanting? If its keeping the golf course, then they should have or should offer the money to buy it and then operate it. You cant demand someone to do something that isnt viable, unless you want to do it yourself. Always lots of opinions in Edmond on development that arent usually grounded in reality.
    I'm sure the neighbors could pay far more than what the developer paid to purchase the golf course (a couple million, I believe). The problem, of course, goes to the question of highest and best use. If things fall into place with commercial, new residential, and even mixed-use, the developer is sitting on an absolutely enormous amount of potential profit, and the neighbors are probably unwilling to compensate the developer for that potential.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I'm sure the neighbors could pay far more than what the developer paid to purchase the golf course (a couple million, I believe). The problem, of course, goes to the question of highest and best use. If things fall into place with commercial, new residential, and even mixed-use, the developer is sitting on an absolutely enormous amount of potential profit, and the neighbors are probably unwilling to compensate the developer for that potential.
    Dont forget that the neighborhood, if they had bought it, would have found out real quick that its not fun pumping in money to a money losing enterprise (Coffee Creek Golf Course). As a golfer, Im no fan of seeing courses close. But the reality is that golf rounds are down and there are many courses north of 122nd.

I think this plan is about as good as a reuse of the property you can find.

Past the planning commission and getting rushed to the council.

https://newsok.com/article/5611976/e...roves-rezoning

Looked over the plans and it seems like it will be a nice improvement for the city. I can understand the frustrations of the existing homeowners, but these things happen sometimes. Looks like it is going through. The shopping center at the NW corner of the development should be convenient. I also like the proposed improvements to Coffee Creek RD with the added capacity and bike lanes.

Masterplan

Access Plan

Street plans

This seems like a good thing for the city. I can understand why people are upset this, but things happen. I bet in the end the property values are increased. Coffee Creek gets bike lanes but only on the southside, or so it looks like. Hopefully this all happens fast so the there isn't long lasting, disrupting construction.

http://agenda.edmondok.com:8085/agen...#ReturnTo61812

Blog Entries

I recently learned that a neighborhood near where I work used to be one of these golf course neighborhoods back in the 40s-50s and the course was shut down many years ago and more (smaller) houses were built in the former course land. So this kind of thing has been happening for a long time. Something to consider for anyone thinking of buying a house with a golf course in the future.

Surely there are communities with golf courses out there that guarantee the golf course won't be developed. If I bought a home specifically to be on a golf course, I'd sure want some kind of protection against it ever being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Surely there are communities with golf courses out there that guarantee the golf course won't be developed. If I bought a home specifically to be on a golf course, I'd sure want some kind of protection against it ever being developed.
    I had thought about that, but I'm not sure any sort of protection would be worth the paper it's written on. Any community course that was developed into something else was probably done so due to insolvency or some sort, so it's not like there's a recourse.

If I was interested in something like that, I guess I'd look for a long term, well established golf community with solid financials. Personally, I have no interest in owning a home where there's a possibility of someone hitting a golf ball through my rear window or walking through my backyard. But I'm anti social.

If the golf course went out of business, the grounds would quickly go to seed and start looking like the set of the “Walking Dead:” Tall grass & weeds, dying trees, overgrown paths, untended sand traps. Wildlife would return, and perhaps vandals & vagrants. There’s much to be said for a natural look, but I’m not sure that homeowners on the perimeter would welcome this over a development.

I have a feeling the residents are going to ultimately come to regret not embracing the proposed plan and fighting so hard against it. They just cannot accept that something is going to go there. Now it’ll just end up being a less refined something with the developer meeting the zoning and saying to heck with it in making it “nice”. Cut their noses off to spite their faces.

15. Default Re: Coffee creek golf course sold for housing?

Just to catch people up it was voted down 3-2 by city council last night making the developers go back to drawing board

Does this give any hope in bringing back the golf course?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I have a feeling the residents are going to ultimately come to regret not embracing the proposed plan and fighting so hard against it. They just cannot accept that something is going to go there. Now it’ll just end up being a less refined something with the developer meeting the zoning and saying to heck with it in making it “nice”. Cut their noses off to spite their faces.
    Spot on. Fight against a good proposal and will most likely end up with something much worse now.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    Does this give any hope in bringing back the golf course?
    Unless there is someone out there that wants to lose money operating a golf course, I would say no. This doesnt change the fact that a golf course will never come back here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    At Traditions, the neighborhood assn keeps the old course area mowed and kept. They still have the cart paths so it is actually a nice natural looking walking park. It isn’t a manicured golf course, but is more private and natural. It doesn’t have to be dire as you predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    At Traditions, the neighborhood assn keeps the old course area mowed and kept. They still have the cart paths so it is actually a nice natural looking walking park. It isn’t a manicured golf course, but is more private and natural. It doesn’t have to be dire as you predict.
    Will the Coffee Creek nbhd assoc have the money to pay well over a million $ to buy this property and then maintain it? unlikely. This seemed like a really good and reasonable proposal and they said no.

Similar to the Spring Creek lifestyle center that was proposed. Amazing upscale mixed use proposal and NIMBYs said no. Now they are more likely to get discount department stores and boring chain restaurants instead.

Do the developers have the option to file suit in District Court to overturn the City Council?

I hope they can overturn this vote.

I figured this was going happen. Edmond follows its status quo. There’s just some force in this town that stops any new truly unique development from happening. Apart from some smaller projects, every project that seems to get built is just more bland strip malls and garden style office buildings.

I have said this before on this forum, and this isn’t a particular dog on Edmond, but the OKC area in general. The OKC metro has got to be one of the biggest cookie cutter cities in the world.

This development along with Spring Creek and 18 on Park would have been truly unique developments that would added tons of character to the area yet those get shot down. For some reason a building like Uptown Grocery is seen as a win. Shame.

Hopefully some sense comes around to the council members in Edmond. But I wouldn’t get my hopes about this development. As I said, I’d love to see it. It much more than sustainable than what is there now.

Well congratulations to the idiots who opposed the original proposal. The housing is coming whether they like it or not. That means more cars and more traffic. The difference is with the first proposal they would have been able to walk and live a healthier lifestyle having shops and stores right nearby. Now a car will be required with no alternative and the shops that would have been located here will be further away contributing to more sprawl and traffic. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well congratulations to the idiots who opposed the original proposal. The housing is coming whether they like it or not. That means more cars and more traffic. The difference is with the first proposal they would have been able to walk and live a healthier lifestyle having shops and stores right nearby. Now a car will be required with no alternative and the shops that would have been located here will be further away contributing to more sprawl and traffic. I love it!
    Added traffic, kids safety, overcrowding schools and harm property values. All the same old arguments that actually dont hold any water. The new traffic and possible Edmond students will be negligible. One new decent sized restaurant would create as much traffic as these homes would. I'd think new streets and homes is much better than an overgrown non-existent golf course.

^^^ +1

I know some here are going to take this message as non-constructive criticism but I love Edmond and want to see it do better. I was raised there and it’s my hometown but I will never understand why many there act like it is some premier community. I guess by the state you could make that argument but it’s aesthetics are really nothing to write home about and definitely not it’s infrastructure. It basically has the same bland four lane undivided streets like most of OKC and the shopping centers are hardly upscale. Though Edmond has its charms, there is a mentality I’ve noticed on many levels not the least of which is what always seems to be publicized in articles that love to exploit the NIMBYism in the town.

In the Edmond sun article, it quoted a guy a saying “this would make sense in Denton, Texas but I’ll be damned if that flies in Edmond,” or something to that tune. Smh

Thread Information