Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take 5 Oil Change

Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

^do they have a waiting room? I can't imagine waiting in the car, even with the windows down for 10 minutes when it's over 100° out.

2. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    ^do they have a waiting room? I can't imagine waiting in the car, even with the windows down for 10 minutes when it's over 100° out.
    The one in Norman does has a waiting room yes.

3. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

So, do they do the hard sell on stuff like wiper blades and air filters like some of the other quick oil change places? What's the pricing look like for full synthetic oil changes? Their website doesn't give any pricing info.

4. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    So, do they do the hard sell on stuff like wiper blades and air filters like some of the other quick oil change places?
    They did not hard sell me on anything. I just said I want a conventional oil change. They gave me a water and I drove away 10 minutes later.

They do a lot of yelling at each other telling them what is going on. Like oil out, oil filter in, air pressure checked, etc.

Before going, make sure to go to their website as you can almost always get a $7 coupon, which makes a good deal a great deal.

6. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Anyone know what their prices are?

I've gotta say, I'm pretty leery of these chain oil change businesses. They all seem to be working the same model..... $19.95 oil change with the hard sell on overpriced filters, wiper blades and other stuff.

There is zero way an oil change company can make a profit off $19 oil changes alone. They must sell other stuff to survive, and the locations are only as good as their employees at that moment.

The Jiffy Lube on 2nd street in Edmond has got to be the worst ever. After a terrible experience there (combined with questionable service at other locations and Walmart) I went back to taking my cars to the dealer. Fortunately, most of our cars only need oil changes every 7,500 miles, so $50 for the oil change at the dealer isn't that painful.

The best part.... The infinity dealer will give you a nice new loaner for the day.

Ford dealer... No real perks, but you can usually find a coupon that makes the price competitive and you have the piece of mind of going to the dealer.

Toyota is pretty good too. No loaner, but the lobby is really nice, you get fresh donuts and cookies and drinks and the diagnostic report they give you is very complete. So much so, I often use it to get some DIY maintenance stuff done by going off their list.

7. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Anyone know what their prices are?

I've gotta say, I'm pretty leery of these chain oil change businesses. They all seem to be working the same model..... $19.95 oil change with the hard sell on overpriced filters, wiper blades and other stuff.

There is zero way an oil change company can make a profit off $19 oil changes alone. They must sell other stuff to survive, and the locations are only as good as their employees at that moment.

The Jiffy Lube on 2nd street in Edmond has got to be the worst ever. After a terrible experience there (combined with questionable service at other locations and Walmart) I went back to taking my cars to the dealer. Fortunately, most of our cars only need oil changes every 7,500 miles, so $50 for the oil change at the dealer isn't that painful.

The best part.... The infinity dealer will give you a nice new loaner for the day.

Ford dealer... No real perks, but you can usually find a coupon that makes the price competitive and you have the piece of mind of going to the dealer.

Toyota is pretty good too. No loaner, but the lobby is really nice, you get fresh donuts and cookies and drinks and the diagnostic report they give you is very complete. So much so, I often use it to get some DIY maintenance stuff done by going off their list.
    $25 for conventional with a coupon. $35 without. I felt like the service was good.

I used to change my own but honestly I got lazy.

8. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    $25 for conventional with a coupon. $35 without. I felt like the service was good.

I used to change my own but honestly I got lazy.
    Yeah, I changed mine for awhile. But with Synthetic I didn't feel the time it took was worth the fairly little savings and I always needed a good weather day to do it. Plus, I really like the checkup the dealer does. Though I rarely bite on their recommended services (do them myself if at all), they did find an oil leak I doubt the chain oil places would have pointed out.

Just received this in the mail (feel free to print or copy to your phone and use).

Checking my records, I paid $36.41 a few months ago at the Jiffy Lube at NW 23rd & Meridian, and that was with a coupon although I can't remember how much of a discount.

Went today for an oil change there, my summary:

Good:
    - Time: Took about 15 minutes, I guess the skip plate gave them some issues.
    - Stay in car: I often have the kids with me, and it was nice to pull in and let the baby sleep and the toddler play in her seat.
    - No upsell.

Neutral:
    - Price: more expensive than some, but more convince.

Bad:
    - On the way home I smelled a lot of burning oil. Popped the hood and found they had spilled a fair amount of oil over a whole corner of the engine. Now I have pools of oil surrounding the sparkplug wells.

11. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

There's a new one nearing completion at 48th and S Sooner near the Neighborhood Market. Starting thinking about it and it's really the only quick lube place anywhere near there, so i have a feeling it will do pretty well as long as they do a good job.

Don't go to the Take 5 at Britton and May

I have used Take 5 a couple times and never had a problem. About a week after my last oil change my car sputtered and died. After towing it to my trusted mechanic, he told me there was about twice as much oil as there should have been in the engine, causing it to leak out and foul the spark plugs. $465 in repair bills later, I headed back to Take 5 to see if they would reimburse me for the work.

The store manager refused to take responsibility.
    The district manager refused to take responsibility.
    The regional manager refused to take responsibility.
    The claims department refused my request for reimbursement.

In addition to all that, they tried to deflect blame by questioning the reliability of my mechanic and claiming that too much oil wouldn't hurt the spark plugs. Well, about 30 seconds on the internet proves that wrong. And am I really to believe that the place I've been taking my car to for 10 years is going to make up an obscure story like that to get an extra $45 oil change out of me? Or is it more likely that on a busy day when only two guys showed up to work, the one who worked on my car messed up.

Extremely disappointed in the lack of accountability shown on the part of Take 5 at every level of local management. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Don't go to the Take 5 at Britton and May

I have used Take 5 a couple times and never had a problem. About a week after my last oil change my car sputtered and died. After towing it to my trusted mechanic, he told me there was about twice as much oil as there should have been in the engine, causing it to leak out and foul the spark plugs. $465 in repair bills later, I headed back to Take 5 to see if they would reimburse me for the work.

The store manager refused to take responsibility.
    The district manager refused to take responsibility.
    The regional manager refused to take responsibility.
    The claims department refused my request for reimbursement.

In addition to all that, they tried to deflect blame by questioning the reliability of my mechanic and claiming that too much oil wouldn't hurt the spark plugs. Well, about 30 seconds on the internet proves that wrong. And am I really to believe that the place I've been taking my car to for 10 years is going to make up an obscure story like that to get an extra $45 oil change out of me? Or is it more likely that on a busy day when only two guys showed up to work, the one who worked on my car messed up.

Extremely disappointed in the lack of accountability shown on the part of Take 5 at every level of local management. Thanks guys.
    I went there shortly after they opened. Between the relatively high price of the oil change, along with all the upselling, combined with the fact that I didn't get a real sense any of them knew what they were doing, it will be my last trip there. Just not worth the risk of having my car messed up.

I've always figured that some of those quick oil change places are staffed by the same kids that leave the cheese off a McD's sausage & egg biscuit that had the tag on the top that said "ADD AMERICAN CHEESE", never ever gone to one.

You may have the option to file in small claims court against Take 5.

16. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Gave the Edmond Take 5 Oil Change location a try this morning.

I've gotta say, the experience was pretty bad and they won't be getting my business in the future.

At any one time I have up to 5 vehicles, so maintenance can get expensive. Our nicer vehicles we tend to take to the dealer for oil change ($50 at Infiniti and $46 at Toyota).

My Ford F-150 needed an oil change and I had just received a $24.93 coupon in the mail, plus an $8 off wiper blades (needed those too), so I thought I'd give them a try.

Went to the one at 3024 S. Broadway in Edmond.

Pulled up and saw three bays. One had a flat bed tow truck that had just pulled up - so I pulled up to the center empty bay doors. Guy came out and told me they are only using one bay and to back up and get behind the tow truck (this should have been my red flag that told me to go elsewhere).

This was at 9:15am.

With only one vehicle ahead of me, it was 9:51am before they were done and had me pull up.

My oil change was over at 10:08. So, almost an hour from start to finish.

Plus, when I showed him my $24.93 coupon, he pointed to a sign in front of the store that actually advertised the basic oil change for that same price, and he said "It's really usually that price all the time."

Regardless, that $24.93 totaled $35.65 when they handed me the invoice ($37.93 base + $1.95 shop supplies + $5.97 "extra oil" - $13 "coupon" + $2.80 tax = $35.65) No idea what the "extra oil" charge really was. I checked my oil before I went in and it was fine, just time to change it.

Of course, they gave me my receipt within minutes of pulling in. That receipt claimed they had already checked my tire pressure and washed my windshield. In reality they had done neither!

This place is every bit as bad or worse than your typical Jiffy Lube - and Jiffy Lube advertises a cheaper oil change.

I'm going to stick with having the dealer do my oil changes as I perceive it as better value for the dollar.

*I called the Take 5's corporate office and pressed the extension to be connected with their customer service dept. The phone just rang and rang. No voicemail, no office hours, nothing. This place is a joke.
    *They forgot I wanted wiper blades and had to do those on a separate ticket.

The “extra oil” was probably because it takes more than X quarts for the F150. I think many of these places advertise based off a predetermined amount of oil (I think 4 quarts is common), and if you need 5 quarts they will charge you for that additional quart.

That one quart is usually pretty overpriced compared to buying your own oil.

18. Default Re: Take 5 Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The “extra oil” was probably because it takes more than X quarts for the F150. I think many of these places advertise based off a predetermined amount of oil (I think 4 quarts is common), and if you need 5 quarts they will charge you for that additional quart.

That one quart is usually pretty overpriced compared to buying your own oil.
    That put their price within $10 of an oil change at the dealer and I have far more confidence in the dealer - plus I get my car washed, vacuumed and they give me a list of things that need to be done (and I often order those items on Amazon and do it myself). Oh, and the Toyota dealer provides a comfy waiting area and donuts and cookies! Infiniti will actually give you a loaner $50,000 car for the day (all weekend if you bring your car in on a Friday and can't get it back in time).

I take my wife’s Subaru to the dealer for the maintenance and drive around in a nice new Subaru for the day, so I’m with you there. I took my old Ford to Take 5 once andnthey spilled oil over the engine and I got to smell burning oil for the next week.

Cheap prices are advertised to get you in the door, and the upcharges are where they make the money. That includes “you don’t have a tiny engine, so we charge you extra for more oil” and “we never realized we had to use tools”.

Guess I'm lucky, I've used the Norman location several times and extremely pleased. Stopped yesterday for oil change on my 2015 Silverado. This truck takes 8 qts of full synthetic, total for complete service plus new wiper blades was less then $80.00 (last service at dealer for oil change only was over $100

I've gotta say, the experience was pretty bad and they won't be getting my business in the future.
    I had a similar experience at the location off Britton.

When I don't get my own done at the dealer or DIY, I'm going to stick with Porter's Quick Change (basically across the street from the Take 5 in Edmond), which is a similar concept, but are local and have been doing a great job whenever I've relied on them.

Finally tried this place, as the one at 41st & May is very near my house.

They were a nice squad of people. It's an interesting model because it looked like the 4-5 that weren't in the pit were all working the 3 cars that were in the bays. I was asked the same question a couple of times.

I have to say though it's a bit odd sitting there in your car. Had to open my door so they could read tire pressure, had me start and turn off the car a couple of times, had to show me how to reset the service interval light, of course tried to sell me an air filter, etc. They weren't pushy about anything but I'm not sure this is better than just sitting in the waiting room, letting them have access to your car, and then have the one convo about additional items.

In fact, at the very end they showed me the dipstick marking full, clean oil. Okay, but I pretty much trust that you put fresh oil in the car.

And in the end it wasn't any faster. Honestly, on a hot day (and today wasn't too bad) it would probably be more comfortable in a waiting room because you have to have you car off the whole time and to stop from roasting and to keep interacting with the crew, you have to have you window down in a place where the noises and smells aren't really pleasant.

It's so close and it was so reasonable ($29.14, all in) that I'll use them again. But I'm not convinced this is a better way to do things.

And finally, they probably shouldn't have this in plain sight of customers where the clear intention is to drive up the average ticket and sell lots of things.

I take my Camry to the dealer. Price is very competitive. Pleasant waiting area except for those silly sales people circling around like vultures.

With the price of synthetic oil dropping, I've finally gotten the gumption to get off my keister and start changing my own oil again. The minivan takes 6.4 Q so I know I'll get the "bonus oil" charge at any of the quick-change places, plus, quite frankly, I don't trust 'em. Besides, I've gotten pretty good at it; if all goes well, from jack-up to jack-down I can usually do it in an hour or less. And I never wrench the stupid oil filter on so tight I'm screaming to get leverage on it the next time around, either....

My own old oldsmobuick is leaking oil so much these days it hardly makes much sense to get a "full" change anywhere except DIY....rear seals gone, and it would cost a fortune to have them replaced there's no way it makes sense on a car that's just passed its 14th birthday with ~150K miles...

Gave the Edmond Take 5 Oil Change location a try this morning.

At any one time I have up to 5 vehicles, so maintenance can get expensive. Our nicer vehicles we tend to take to the dealer for oil change ($50 at Infiniti and $46 at Toyota).

My Ford F-150 needed an oil change and I had just received a $24.93 coupon in the mail, plus an $8 off wiper blades (needed those too), so I thought I'd give them a try.

Went to the one at 3024 S. Broadway in Edmond.

Pulled up and saw three bays. One had a flat bed tow truck that had just pulled up - so I pulled up to the center empty bay doors. Guy came out and told me they are only using one bay and to back up and get behind the tow truck (this should have been my red flag that told me to go elsewhere).

This was at 9:15am.

With only one vehicle ahead of me, it was 9:51am before they were done and had me pull up.

My oil change was over at 10:08. So, almost an hour from start to finish.

Plus, when I showed him my $24.93 coupon, he pointed to a sign in front of the store that actually advertised the basic oil change for that same price, and he said "It's really usually that price all the time."

Regardless, that $24.93 totaled $35.65 when they handed me the invoice ($37.93 base + $1.95 shop supplies + $5.97 "extra oil" - $13 "coupon" + $2.80 tax = $35.65) No idea what the "extra oil" charge really was. I checked my oil before I went in and it was fine, just time to change it.

Of course, they gave me my receipt within minutes of pulling in. That receipt claimed they had already checked my tire pressure and washed my windshield. In reality they had done neither!

This place is every bit as bad or worse than your typical Jiffy Lube - and Jiffy Lube advertises a cheaper oil change.

I'm going to stick with having the dealer do my oil changes as I perceive it as better value for the dollar.

*I called the Take 5's corporate office and pressed the extension to be connected with their customer service dept. The phone just rang and rang. No voicemail, no office hours, nothing. This place is a joke.
    *They forgot I wanted wiper blades and had to do those on a separate ticket.
    Wow, this is almost identical to what happened to me at the Edmond location as well. I had to back up, and pull behind another car, he said they were training, so they were running behind. It took right at an hour. I had a coupon for the $24.97 oil change, and that is what I was expecting to pay.

The manager ended up coming up to me and telling me that if I didn't get the most expensive $80 oil change, my car could be knocking and banging, and I would be mad at him for putting in "the cheap stuff". He said they report all services to Car Fax, and they would have to report that I didn't put the recommended oil in my vehicle, and it could void any warranties, etc in the future.

Then, he went to his computer, and said he could take $13 off the best oil change today, and that was going out on a limb for me. If he took off anymore than that, he could get in trouble. So, of course, I ended up getting the most expensive oil change.

We went back again with wife's car a few month's later, and went through the exact same thing and argument. I am done with this place, and won't use them again. Its very annoying to go with a coupon, and spend 10 minutes arguing with the manager about upgrading the oil change for every visit. No thanks.

Thread Information