Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Row on Twelve

Midtown Row on Twelve

New mixed use project proposed for Midtown

A very narrow lot has resulted in a unique design for an office and residential project in Midtown at 435 NW 12th Street.

At only 37 feet wide The Row on Twelve features a long, narrow lot is immediately east of the 3-story Walker Building which is nearing completion.

The plans show 1,300 square feet of 2-story office space along NW 12th Street with 4 3-story townhouses to the north.

The office space will be detached from the living units.

The townhouses will have a small entry area on the first floor and the 2nd and 3rd levels actually extended over drives below, each floor with it's own balcony area.

The owner / developer is Andrea Fischer of Oklahoma City, who bought the .14 acre lot earlier this year. Smith Design Company is the designer.

Default Re: Row on Twelve

Terrific! This is excellent infill that gives a district life. Many times when exploring cities, it's the small buildings that seem to give a city life. Not the large block wide developments.

Great infill. These small scale lil granular developments on tiny lots are the stuff of great places.

Now this is infill. Absolutely fantastic development where otherwise nothing would go. Total home run. Bring even more people to live in Midtown/Downtown. We are inching ever closer to a grocery store abd CVS/Walgreens somewhere downtown.

Awesome Awesome Awesome

Only thing I'm concerned about are the balconies. If she has even 5-feet of that green space I'd be surprised, so in the future there very likely will be a building RIGHT THERE. Not a deal breaker at all, but something to think about. For sure, I think she should make sure that the beams used on the East side of the property could handle the full load of those balconies eventually being closed in.

I think in general in our urban development we need to look more to roof-top usage for outdoor space.

But seriously, can you imagine how much more development like this we could see if like 5 organizations didn't own all the un(der)developed real estate downtown? Would really like to see OCURA find a way to structure an RFP such that lots of tiny developers could come together and work on a block. Something like 8 to 20 small-timers to come in with budgets of no more than, I dunno, like $5M for single lots like this.

I assume these will be for rent and not to buy?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but how do people move their cars? In the rendering it looks like the balcony supports prevent parallel parking, so unless you are at the front or back of the line, you are stuck.

^ Looks like there's parallel parking and one through-lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Awesome Awesome Awesome

Only thing I'm concerned about are the balconies. If she has even 5-feet of that green space I'd be surprised, so in the future there very likely will be a building RIGHT THERE. Not a deal breaker at all, but something to think about. For sure, I think she should make sure that the beams used on the East side of the property could handle the full load of those balconies eventually being closed in.

I think in general in our urban development we need to look more to roof-top usage for outdoor space.

But seriously, can you imagine how much more development like this we could see if like 5 organizations didn't own all the un(der)developed real estate downtown? Would really like to see OCURA find a way to structure an RFP such that lots of tiny developers could come together and work on a block. Something like 8 to 20 small-timers to come in with budgets of no more than, I dunno, like $5M for single lots like this.
    Really perceptive post is perceptive.

But I'm just not sure it would be that easy. I think we are getting deals like this and SoSA still bc those bigger deals open up the market when they perform well, and I'm not sure that those types of developers lack opportunities. Plus sometimes a small deal can take a small developer a lot to pull off - imagine twenty different Rick Dowells all competing against each other.

I like having some developers like Gary Brooks, Richard McKown, and Fred Hall leading on downtown development.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Really perceptive post is perceptive.

But I'm just not sure it would be that easy. I think we are getting deals like this and SoSA still bc those bigger deals open up the market when they perform well, and I'm not sure that those types of developers lack opportunities. Plus sometimes a small deal can take a small developer a lot to pull off - imagine twenty different Rick Dowells all competing against each other.

I like having some developers like Gary Brooks, Richard McKown, and Fred Hall leading on downtown development.
    I agree, but it's like Midtown...MR has bought up SOOOO much of the land. Beyond that, so much of the land gets sold in blocks instead of lotted out...especially OCURA RFPs

I'm not at all saying I don't appreciate and enjoy having the Brooks, McKown's, Halls, MRs around...they've done great things for OKC. We have SOOO far to go that we need those guys. But big money is buying up a lot of land downtown and in the urban core in general. I know for sure there are some smaller fish that want to get into various places within the core, some of it even further reaching, but another group comes in and makes a better offer because they can afford to sit on their cash a little longer than a slightly smaller player. And they do sit.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    ^ Looks like there's parallel parking and one through-lane.
    Okay, I can see that now. It was hard to see at first. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I assume these will be for rent and not to buy?
    From above:
    The townhouses will have a small entry area on the first floor and the 2nd and 3rd levels actually extended over drives below, each floor with it's own balcony area.
    I'm not necessarily correct, but always thought townhouse=own.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    From above:

I'm not necessarily correct, but always thought townhouse=own.
    Ive lived in two townhouses and rented both.

I believe these units will be for rent.

Blog Entries

ah, I see

Whenever I see skinny buildings it reminds me of Georgetown. Very unique for Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Sign has been up for a week or two

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG3778.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	13777

Also, the website (http://therowontwelve.com/) presently quotes okctalk.com.

Name:	therow.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	13778

Nothing happening here yet:

Blog Entries

I thought there was a container on the lot for a hot second, maybe where the dead grass is...

They have re-submitted plans to the Downtown Design Review Committee, and as you can see all parking is now moved to the north end of the property when each of the 4 units will have two "tandem" parking spots; meaning one car directly in front/behind the other.

That allows for living space on all 3 levels.

There will be one retail space fronting 12th. This project is directly west of the Walker Building and very close to The Edge.

21. Default Re: Row on Twelve

high end, urban living. what I'd expect from SOSA
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

having a tandem spot at the regency, and being between other tandem spots, it can be kind of a bitch. they should probably go ahead and throw a cover over those spots while they're at it. offset the pain with some minor benefit.

The quality of the alleyway access to that parking is another factor to be considered...

Name:	row12.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	14369

23. Default Re: Row on Twelve

just creates more reason to ditch the car(s) that's all. or at least downsize..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    just creates more reason to ditch the car(s) that's all. or at least downsize..
    That's valid since this property is 1 block from the streetcar :-)

Thread Information