Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

1. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

I would be surprised if this were true. Macy's has said in the past that this is one of their top performing stores.

Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From the they-only-have-themselves-to-blame files...

I ordered something from them on-line and elected to pick it up in the store rather than have it shipped.

So, I go over there today and I can't find the on-line pickup spot. I stood in a long line just to be told I was in the wrong place. When I found it, it was just a regular register with people buying stuff, so I again waited in a long line.

An employee noticed me clutching my on-line receipt and volunteered to retrieve my item. After about 10 minutes she came back with it.

As the same time the woman in front of me was now 15 minutes into trying to do a credit application through their point of sale. She didn't know what she was doing and was nowhere close to even completing that let alone completing her purchase.

So, I realized I had already paid for the darn item, was holding in my hand and I just left. Not going to stand in line forever just so someone could verify I had already paid for something.

Get a better process Macy's! At least have a dedicated place for on-line stuff. And please, please stop trying to sell every single person on a Macy's account and then have them stand at the register forever inputting their info while legions wait.
    Not to be snooty, but this is why I shop at Nordstrom rather than Macy's when possible. Good selection of mid-tier stuff at good prices, and the customer service absolutely blows Macy's or Dillard's away. It's like target vs Walmart.

But besides being a hassle here's my other big gripe about malls: They've turned into a gauntlet of annoying salespeople hassling you every step of the way. Gets really old.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? I never have annoying salespeople hassling me when I go to the malls. I find most of them to be very polite and helpful.

Blog Entries

Business Insider is really not a solid news site. I would not put a lot or really any faith in this article. Macy's isn't pulling completely out of OKC. That's silly.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? I never have annoying salespeople hassling me when I go to the malls. I find most of them to be very polite and helpful.
    I mean the people at the kiosks and food courts constantly trying to give you free samples, etc.

7. Default Re: Macy's at Penn Square Closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Not to be snooty, but this is why I shop at Nordstrom rather than Macy's when possible. Good selection of mid-tier stuff at good prices, and the customer service absolutely blows Macy's or Dillard's away. It's like target vs Walmart.
    Customer service does lack at Macy's. But I've never had a problem at Dillard's. And I shop at Dillard's a lot. You can't put the [management] organization and customer service level of Macy's and Dillard's in the same sentence and be taken seriously by me.

Having said that no store has better service than Nordstrom. Dillard's is good for this market, but if anyone has shopped at Nordstrom they know their service level is unmatched perhaps in all of retail. As much as I like Dillard's, Nordstrom has superior service and there is no match.

As a side note, I think Von Maur is probably between. They certainly don't rise to the level of Nordstrom but they're probably better than Dillard's.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    Customer service does lack at Macy's. But I've never had a problem at Dillard's. And I shop at Dillard's a lot. You can't put the [management] organization and customer service level of Macy's and Dillard's in the same sentence and be taken seriously by me.

Having said that no store has better service than Nordstrom. Dillard's is good for this market, but if anyone has shopped at Nordstrom they know their service level is unmatched perhaps in all of retail. As much as I like Dillard's, Nordstrom has superior service and there is no match.

As a side note, I think Von Maur is probably between. They certainly don't rise to the level of Nordstrom but they're probably better than Dillard's.
    Dillard's is very good at in-person retail, but their online presence is awful. Macy's is the reverse, and the customer count at their respective stores at PSM reflect that. I've not spent enough time or money in Von Maur to really gauge their customer service.

Von Maur has excellent customer service. However, they DO have a problem keeping good people. I know one person who was a great manager there in men's, and sad to say she left for better opportunities. Von Maur cut short her potential there because of their internal policies. I still do patronize and shop at Von Maur. I recently bought a dress shirt there on sale and it was a really good deal for the brand. I would say that Dillards has good customer service, and "great" if you get to know certain sales associates. At Dillard's, I always try to get a sales person to help me who I have gotten to know personally, because they have gotten to know me. At Von Maur, I do not have to worry about their issue because they just have better customer service. And yes, Nordstrom tops them all.

I'm with Pete on the kiosk thing. They're so packed in there this time of year, and between phone repair, back rubs, eye brow threading, cured meats, and that **** from the Dead Sea im supposed to rub on my face. I find myself shooting menacing glares at sales people like I'm running the gauntlet in Tijuana. As if to say, "look here ese, I'm loco! I'll take that peperidge farm gift basket and shove it up your culo!"

I just have one of those faces that says "I'll buy your crap." I suppose.

I mean the people at the kiosks and food courts constantly trying to give you free samples, etc.
    Interesting. I don't remember ever having an experience like that at the mall. Maybe they just know by looking at me that they are wasting their time.

Macy's at Tulsa Promenade to close:

http://www.fox23.com/news/macys-to-c...tore/481224601

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    Dillard's is very good at in-person retail, but their online presence is awful. Macy's is the reverse, and the customer count at their respective stores at PSM reflect that. I've not spent enough time or money in Von Maur to really gauge their customer service.
    Dillard's sure knows how to put on a big sale. On New's Year's Day, hordes of people came out for their 50% off sale in every part of the men's section. It was impossible to find a parking spot on the south and west side of Penn Square. In the other anchor stores it was only like another Sunday.

I went in here a couple of days ago and this store looks like it’s getting ready to close. There were entire section where there may have been 10-15 racks before with only 1-2 now. A whole section had 3-4 shelving units with toys 60% off a display for kids to write letters to Santa but nothing else. The fragrances were packed in to the display cases but there was none of the usual marketing materials or displays.
    There were hardly any suits in the men’s suit section and I can’t imagine there was a run on men’s suits all of a sudden. Even the backstage section looks skimpy. So 1 of 3 things, the store is closing, being remodeled or the supply chain issues have severely affected them so much that it looks like they only have a few things to sell.

It is so sad. Simon has put no money into that mall in years, in terms of a full scale renovation or expansion. Almost like they forget it exists.

^^^^^ It's my understanding that the reason Williams Sonoma moved out was because Simon was not taking care of them, there was a multi year history of roof leaks that were disasatrous and really hurt Williams Sonoma.

There's no reason, I think, that OKC can't support a Williams Sonoma.

Not saying it isn't possible, but...I don't see any retail department stores expanding anywhere anytime soon. The link below shows Nordstrom's isn't currently slated on opening any new stores anywhere in 2022 or 2023, other than a remodel/relocation of a store in Kansas City.

https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/abo...store-openings

As for Macy's, their fate is probably similar as JCPenney's and SEARS, it was just delayed. These large department stores don't seem to bring in the people like they use to since many of the items they sell can be obtained in much easier or cheaper methods. Dillards has somehow survived relatively healthy, as they have not closed near the number of locations compared to the other mid-tier department stores.

With more people working from home long term, and many companies relaxing their dress code, the need for someone to buy a suit isn't the same as it was even 10-15 years ago. TARGET, Amazon, etc have also chipped away at the share of small appliances and bedding/bath items.

Quote Originally Posted by AMOKC85 View Post
    I went in here a couple of days ago and this store looks like it’s getting ready to close. There were entire section where there may have been 10-15 racks before with only 1-2 now. A whole section had 3-4 shelving units with toys 60% off a display for kids to write letters to Santa but nothing else. The fragrances were packed in to the display cases but there was none of the usual marketing materials or displays.
    There were hardly any suits in the men’s suit section and I can’t imagine there was a run on men’s suits all of a sudden. Even the backstage section looks skimpy. So 1 of 3 things, the store is closing, being remodeled or the supply chain issues have severely affected them so much that it looks like they only have a few things to sell.
    I sure hope not. I'm personally a big Macy's fan. It's an iconic store and one-stop shop, but closing the Macy's started the downfall of Quail Springs Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDoll View Post
    I sure hope not. I'm personally a big Macy's fan. It's an iconic store and one-stop shop, but closing the Macy's started the downfall of Quail Springs Mall.
    Quail Springs I think is still relatively healthy. They had to diversify their offerings to stay relevant. Round One and Blue Zoo were two good mid-sized tenants to draw in families. LifeTime Fitness essentially replaced Macy's. All three of these offer something that draws in a wide variety of people. The Penn/Memorial corridor is still very healthy and sought after.

Thread Information