Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Northwest OKC Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

This property is now for sale.

Default Re: First Christian Church

Someone let Wayne Coyne know so he can turn it into an alien welcoming center.

3. Default Re: First Christian Church

There is a growing list of church properties for sale. Others I've noticed recently are Northwest Christian at the corner of 30th and May and Open Arms near the intersection of Penn and 30th.

Wasn't this part of (or the same property) that the Humphrey's tried to develop awhile ago?

HangryHippo Guest

Any chance the Humphreys get involved? Didn't they have a pretty sweet Crown Heights proposal sometime back that got NIMBYd?

I do not want to see this church go anywhere, but the rest of that property needs to be developed.

Yes, that was Grant Humphreys that previously attempted to develop the undeveloped part of this property.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, that was Grant Humphreys that previously attempted to develop the undeveloped part of this property.

I'd LOVE to see this come back! But he seems to not care about anything outside of Carlton Landing.

Wonder what will become of the Jewel Box Theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd LOVE to see this come back! But he seems to not care about anything outside of Carlton Landing.

Duuuuude...Do the words, "Wheeler District" ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Yeah, but that is mostly Blair. Grant is focused on CL.

At 8.2 million asking price, whatever goes there will have to be dense and intense. Good luck getting the nearby neighborhoods to go along with that.

Yes, the Crown Heights and Edgemere Park neighborhoods are well-organized and had a lot to say about the previous Humphreys proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    At 8.2 million asking price, whatever goes there will have to be dense and intense. Good luck getting the nearby neighborhoods to go along with that.
    It would all need to be rezoned to PUD, but with all the changes that have been made in Midtown/AA/Plaza to an extent, the neighbors may be more excited about a more walkable community in addition to what they have on Western. Like you said, the development will need to be dense and expensive ($100mm+), but having a grocery store, residential, etc. in that area may be more appealing 8 years later.

HangryHippo Guest

I thought that was Blair and that Grant was focused on Carlton Landing? My apologies if I'm mistaken.

This sale makes me sad although not unexpected. I am a associate member at First Christian and went to many services there in years past. Don Alexander was a great pastor. Plus our company wired up the carillon bells up in the tower many years ago. We have a great historical file on the property's architecture in our archives.

How does this affect the Trinity school?

People in OKC be like

Did someone say iconic?

I was too lazy to incorporate it into the photo

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I thought that was Blair and that Grant was focused on Carlton Landing? My apologies if I'm mistaken.

I think you had it right and it is me that owes an apology. For being a jerkus. A jerkus maximus.

20. Default Re: First Christian Church

^^^^^^^^^^
    Despite the fact that Grant is the face of CL and Blair is the face of Wheeler, both have had involvement with each (and certainly, so has Kirk). That said, Grant actually LIVES at CL full-time, and anyone who has visited will quickly realize why he devotes most of his time to it.

I visited for the first time just last week, and it's pretty much impossible to communicate in words - or even in pictures - the scale of this project. It is truly a full-blown TOWN they are building; NOT simply a housing addition. It will take a generation to complete, and although I'm sure there will be other projects for Grant it will be no disappointment if that town ends up being seen as his life's work. I was pretty blown away by where they are at this point, and they have really only scratched the surface of what the town will become.

Visiting CL only made me more excited for Wheeler, where Blair and the family development company will be applying many of the lessons they have learned at Carlton. Wheeler will be better for this experience.

21. Default Re: First Christian Church

BTW - and I have no idea whether they'd be interested in this property and would actually guess not due to their current very large projects - if the Humphreys family took this on today I would expect the plans would change significantly from what is shown above. Reference the original plans for he airpark as an example of why I would expect this to be the case. Their approach to land development has evolved greatly since that project was proposed.

HangryHippo Guest

I think you had it right and it is me that owes an apology. For being a jerkus. A jerkus maximus.
    No problem, Doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    People in OKC be like

Did someone say iconic?

I was too lazy to incorporate it into the photo
    I got bored... Photoshop is fun.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I got bored... Photoshop is fun.

LOLZ! That's hilarious!

25. Default Re: First Christian Church

I hope that somehow at least the sanctuary/dome can be saved as part of whatever mixed use development eventually goes there. And it would be great if the development could use some of the architecture for inspiration, such as the flat stonework on the walls.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Thread Information