Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 171819202122

Thread: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Default Re: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Can you explain more?
    Hum, how should I put this into words?

This doesn't look cool when it doesn't look new, this is an example of lazy, filling-the-blank school of architecture, or simplicity for the maximum profit school of real estate development. To me, it fails the "Why you did what you did?" or "What is the though process behind those details?" tests.

This is always a beauty even 500 years from now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	353396002_808381827325784_906354737030494716_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	18747

The shapes aren't so bad, but that porch is egregious. I'm guessing that will be replaced inside of 10 years whenever the shine comes off. The metal roofs won't be so shiny and neat looking for too long. I think the lack of window treatments also hurts them, but I expect to see them added on later.

Regardless, I have a feeling that style of architecture won't be chosen on this side of town - but we'll see. Architecture does indeed tend toward "laziness" these days, mostly due to clients demanding things while also wanting to cut costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    I hope we won't see another Wheeler District there, those designs won't age well with time.
    I hope time proves me wrong but I have always thought the materials used look cheap. They are probably well made homes but just doesn't look that way to me. I am assuming the siding is a fiber cement product like Hardie board but looks like the old T1-11 siding.

Does anybody know if this land sale has closed? Or what it is pending for? It was interesting, online it was listed for $8.31/SF but that was based on 14 acres MOL. County has it as 31 acres MOL. Perhaps the 14 acres didn't include green areas? Just wondering how much they are paying for this land?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I hope time proves me wrong but I have always thought the materials used look cheap. They are probably well made homes but just doesn't look that way to me. I am assuming the siding is a fiber cement product like Hardie board but looks like the old T1-11 siding.
    I absolutely abhor the modern farmhouse aesthetic. I blame Chip and Joanna Gaines for inflicting it on the masses, whether or not it was their creation. YUCK.

Wheeler is a more eclectic, sophisticated design concept than the farmhouse atrocities that are popping up like spring mushrooms around the Plaza and throughout our inner-city neighborhoods. Yes, there are some Wheeler homes that are loosely derived from that genre, but overall, it's better and I don't agree that Wheeler's properties look cheap.

Like other trendy things, the farmhouse look will eventually lose favor and people will want to kill it with fire. To be clear, I don't think Wheeler is in danger of that; it is more sophisticated and offers some modern takes on fairly classic homebuilding themes.

6. Default Re: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Does anybody know if this land sale has closed? Or what it is pending for? It was interesting, online it was listed for $8.31/SF but that was based on 14 acres MOL. County has it as 31 acres MOL. Perhaps the 14 acres didn't include green areas? Just wondering how much they are paying for this land?
    Is the entire property listed because the back section where the youth center is has a lot of land around it where we used to play softball that may not be included?

7. Default Re: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    FWIW, I am not a fan of the look in that photograph, either. Give me a simple traditional ranch design with Frank Lloyd Wright -esque horizonal touches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I absolutely abhor the modern farmhouse aesthetic. I blame Chip and Joanna Gaines for inflicting it on the masses, whether or not it was their creation. YUCK.

Wheeler is a more eclectic, sophisticated design concept than the farmhouse atrocities that are popping up like spring mushrooms around the Plaza and throughout our inner-city neighborhoods. Yes, there are some Wheeler homes that are loosely derived from that genre, but overall, it's better and I don't agree that Wheeler's properties look cheap.

Like other trendy things, the farmhouse look will eventually lose favor and people will want to kill it with fire. To be clear, I don't think Wheeler is in danger of that; it is more sophisticated and offers some modern takes on fairly classic homebuilding themes.
    Not sure I would use the term sophisticated to describe Wheeler. Homey, neighborly, evocative of times gone by, walkable…. But it isn’t sophisticated architecture. Its appeal is the opposite. It seems to appeal as “let’s not stand out architecture”…. Let’s fit in with the neighbors and be the same.

Thread Information