Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexford Park (formerly First Christian Church)

Default Re: First Christian Church

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    agreed... sadly a while ago i would have been okay with this... and i was okay with tearing down stage center to get the project that was shown to us... but after seeing that turn into nothing, and then the loss of the Gold Dome... i'm all for saving this now.
    It's interesting, because it certainly feels like there is a lot more support for preservation and restoration than just 15 years ago. I think a big part of that is that you can now easily point to multiple examples in OKC of how restoration can lead to economic resurgence and improved quality of life, even in the most neglected cases. Many seemed to used to think that was counter intuitive or even slightly communistic. Now the areas that have been restored and revitalized are pointed to as the city's identity.

Now, I think this one presents more of a challenge than something that is part of district or easily defined commercial redevelopment. I think the isolated projects like these make it harder to visualize anything but a total re-imagining. But looking at the plot Pete posted, it just seems like any developer is going to have a lot of land to develop, even if they kept the church and incorporated it somehow. And given the potential backlash from the neighborhood, doing so might actually create some good will...

But who knows. It's all speculation as we don't even know who wants it and what they want it for.

Blog Entries

Regarding the re-zoning... if a housing developer bought the land to build houses, then there would be no re-zoning requirement, right?

agreed... sadly a while ago i would have been okay with this... and i was okay with tearing down stage center to get the project that was shown to us... but after seeing that turn into nothing, and then the loss of the Gold Dome... i'm all for saving this now.
    Is the Gold Dome gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Is the Gold Dome gone?
    opps.. i said gold dome. meant the founders national bank... was thinking of unique buildings and should have re-read before posting, as i was just kind of thinking and typing while looking at something else

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Regarding the re-zoning... if a housing developer bought the land to build houses, then there would be no re-zoning requirement, right?

They would still have to file a plat through the planning commission for the individual lots.

opps.. i said gold dome. meant the founders national bank... was thinking of unique buildings and should have re-read before posting, as i was just kind of thinking and typing while looking at something else
    NP. I feel better now.

news video said the congregation is down to 50 members...

I think over the next 10-20 years this will be happening more and more with old churches.
    Churches have tons of land and huge buildings they no longer need.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They would still have to file a plat through the planning commission for the individual lots.
    Which would pass. As long as the new plat was in line with the adjacent neighborhoods. They would have no grounds to deny it.

Also of note is that is braums had demoed the Donnay building first Their simple rezoning request (remember they were just asked to change a r zoning to a c to match the entire surrounding property). Would have passed

Also if they had got to court they also likely would have succeeded

Another buyer entered the picture and saved the building

Unless another buyer steps forward soon. I think these buildings will get demoed

Remember, the proposal by the Humphreys 10 years ago showed the church would remain and even that was withdrawn due to backlash by the neighbors.
    It's ironic that they may end up with something that is more affront to their sensibilities. Wasn't that concept similar to The Wheeler District based off of Seaside?

Remember, the proposal by the Humphreys 10 years ago showed the church would remain and even that was withdrawn due to backlash by the neighbors.

I have a very hard time seeing how a large development would ever get past all the various public hoops, and I would deem the chances almost impossible if that plan also involved razing the church.

There is a reason why this awesome piece of property has remained undeveloped all these years.
    So in this one instance, we're all rooting for the NIMBYs.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    Feels weird, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    One could argue they are to blame for this as well as they are responsible for the last proposal here falling through. That proposal would have saved this building and we likely wouldn’t be looking at a demolition here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    One could argue they are to blame for this as well as they are responsible for the last proposal here falling through. That proposal would have saved this building and we likely wouldn’t be looking at a demolition here now.
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Which would pass. As long as the new plat was in line with the adjacent neighborhoods. They would have no grounds to deny it.

Also of note is that is braums had demoed the Donnay building first Their simple rezoning request (remember they were just asked to change a r zoning to a c to match the entire surrounding property). Would have passed

Also if they had got to court they also likely would have succeeded

Another buyer entered the picture and saved the building

Unless another buyer steps forward soon. I think these buildings will get demoed
    Yes, but I think this supports my argument that guilt is our best hope. Whoever decides to destroy the complex will have to feel it is worth being publicly named and blamed for doing so. They will have to realize that some future development they will work on will have to stand in front of many local groups, boards and agencies that they ran over, bypassed, or just exercised their legal right in this instance. Braum's didn't think it was worth it on Classen. They Humphreys family didn't think it was worth it at this location 10 years ago. OGE thought it was worth the risk with Stage Center. I think this is so radioactive that they can't even do the transfer between a few faceless LLC's from out of state for ten years before they come forward with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That proposal would have saved this building and we likely wouldnÂ’t be looking at a demolition here now.
    Hard to say, really. We've seen it where developers say they are going to do this or that, but, when there's no oversight involved, there's still nothing to statutorily stop them from getting demo permits if they feel like it and doing what they want.

Again, I think there is a growing public sentiment for Oklahoma City's historic structures, but that really hasn't translated to much more official recognition. I mean, if the info from Shadid that Urban Pioneer posted is accurate and complete (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), we only recognize 8 buildings as historical landmarks in the entire city. That's 8 buildings remaining over the course of 130 years of development.

Hard to say what the net effect of Humphreys abandoning their plan for this site, in part due to public backlash, will be, but cultural apathy, even disdain, towards older structures in general has been a strong guiding force in development over the long haul and, more importantly, in our official policies about development. At the end of the day, Humphreys could have done what they wanted and, also, could have torn it down, regardless of the neighborhood's opinion. That's still the case here.

I recall Shadid was talking about the city needing some kind of preservation process. Is this actually something that's being created, or will it just be talked about forever?

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I recall Shadid was talking about the city needing some kind of preservation process. Is this actually something that's being created, or will it just be talked about forever?
    There is a process currently. It takes 7 of the 9 council votes. To get past an owner that is opposed

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    There is a process currently. It takes 7 of the 9 council votes. To get past an owner that is opposed
    There is another process underway by the planning department that would go beyond the current way of doing things.

Aubrey McDermid said they are still about a year out. Been working on it for a while.

There is another process underway by the planning department that would go beyond the current way of doing things.

Aubrey McDermid said they are still about a year out. Been working on it for a while.
    That is good to know. I wonder what it will look like

any updates on what is going on here?

Blog Entries

I received the following from the OKC Foundation for Architecture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKCFA - Save the Egg.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	15180

This is a HUGE image (dimensionally) that will not likely translate well here so here's a short link:

http://nitnoi.io/saveegg

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I received the following from the OKC Foundation for Architecture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKCFA - Save the Egg.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	15180

This is a HUGE image (dimensionally) that will not likely translate well here so here's a short link:

http://nitnoi.io/saveegg
    I can't read this at all. Can you share what it says?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I can't read this at all. Can you share what it says?
    I couldn’t see it either. I think it’s a variation of these:

https://okcmod.com/contact/

https://okcmod.com/contact/what-you-can-do/

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I couldn’t see it either. I think it’s a variation of these:

https://okcmod.com/contact/

https://okcmod.com/contact/what-you-can-do/
    I think you’re right. Thanks!

Thread Information