Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gem Hotel (formerly The Falls)

1. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    My statement has nothing to do with whether it is functional or not. I guess some developers want the public to use their imagination more.
    Renderings aren’t created for public consumption. Granted, some are made robust and extra-appealing when a developer wants/needs to gain investors or sway opinions, but in general drawings like this exist to communicate intent, scale, materials and the like to those who issue permits. In many cases they’d just as soon the public never see drawings.

Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Story in Oklahoman said it is the old Margarita Mamas site.

I think it said they plan to put a steel skeleton inside the existing brick to provide necessary support for the entire structure. Maybe it's kinda like the way they redid the White House in the late 1940s?

3. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Renderings aren’t created for public consumption. Granted, some are made robust and extra-appealing when a developer wants/needs to gain investors or sway opinions, but in general drawings like this exist to communicate intent, scale, materials and the like to those who issue permits. In many cases they’d just as soon the public never see drawings.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want the public to see that drawing at all. It does seem that larger developments like Chisholm Creek, The 1/2, and The Oak have asked their marketing team to use those pretty renderings quite a bit lately. Just sayin, for something that isn't for public consumption, it sure does help the marketing team sell the idea of the development.

Blog Entries

My statement has nothing to do with whether it is functional or not. I guess some developers want the public to use their imagination more.
    They aren’t doing it just to satisfy the cravings of a few of the citizens whose only interest is curiosity.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I wouldn't want the public to see that drawing at all. It does seem that larger developments like Chisholm Creek, The 1/2, and The Oak have asked their marketing team to use those pretty renderings quite a bit lately. Just sayin, for something that isn't for public consumption, it sure does help the marketing team sell the idea of the development.
    It really isn’t for curious citizens, it’s to attract investors, developers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Story in Oklahoman said it is the old Margarita Mamas site.

I think it said they plan to put a steel skeleton inside the existing brick to provide necessary support for the entire structure. Maybe it's kinda like the way they redid the White House in the late 1940s?
    Yes, I saw that explained in Steve's article. They will gut they current building including the current floors and roof and then put a new steel structure inside of it.

7. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It really isn’t for curious citizens, it’s to attract investors, developers, etc.
    You made your point...move on!

Blog Entries

You made your point...move on!
    Lol.

9. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Good grief. I hope they consult an architect before they take this project much further.

10. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

^^^^^^^
    They’ll have to. As drawn it wouldn’t come close to passing BUDC review.

BUDC made a lot of good comments on this project this morning. Applicant said projecting $30MM in cost. But they do not have financing at this time.

Just some notes:
    Current structure is not able to support hotel structure and would essentially need to be demolished and rebuilt. BUDC made comments to have nod or elements reflecting the existing structure in design elements of hotel.

Also BUDC has no recourse for allowing demo of a structure and then project failing to materialize. Applicant does promise that demo would not take place without full plan able to materialize.

^

Thank you!

The no financing part is troubling.

We've had no less than 3 ambitious projects announced for this site and none of materialized as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Applicant does promise that demo would not take place without full plan able to materialize.

The top two floors are just horrible, please stick with the warehouse/industrial architectural style Mr. Jose Rodriguez. It's like they don't know what else to draw when they get to those floors. SMH.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...l/71146549007/

15. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The no financing part is troubling.

We've had no less than 3 ambitious projects announced for this site and none of materialized as yet.
    This specific project will most likely require venture capital. Not too many banks are going to put themselves on the hook for ~$20-25MM towards this highly-speculative project. I would get laughed out of the room if I presented this proposal at my bank.

Now, if it was in the $3-5MM range for renovations, upgrades, etc., it might be a fairly easy approval.

16. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    The top two floors are just horrible, please stick with the warehouse/industrial architectural style Mr. Jose Rodriguez. It's like they don't know what else to draw when they get to those floors. SMH.
    I think this will make more sense visually in person- I see what they're going for and I think it will fit in nicely. Also I'm glad this new design has 8 floors instead of 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I think this will make more sense visually in person- I see what they're going for and I think it will fit in nicely. Also I'm glad this new design has 8 floors instead of 7!
    It will look something like this, !

Front:

and Back:

Bricktown landlords and architects: please consider sticking to something like this, sometimes creativity isn't really the solution.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A10048-ESTO-2014A46.454_0.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	350.3 KB 
ID:	18370  

HangryHippo Guest

I hate the top two floors with a passion, but I like the overall project. Seems pretty ambitious though. I wonder if Jose will chime in here?

I understand the mini-golf has always only been a placeholder for that property, but i am still sad to lost it. That place (and Brickopolis in general) is always super busy and brings so much more life to Bricktown than a parking garage ever will.

Parking garage…. On the canal? Sounds like a disaster

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    I understand the mini-golf has always only been a placeholder for that property, but i am still sad to lost it. That place (and Brickopolis in general) is always super busy and brings so much more life to Bricktown than a parking garage ever will.
    My understanding is that the mini golf course and Brickopolis will remain and the parking garage will not be on the canal and instead on the surface lot at Oklahoma and Reno.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    My understanding is that the mini golf course and Brickopolis will remain and the parking garage will not be on the canal and instead on the surface lot at Oklahoma and Reno.
    Isn’t this exactly what the article said? They want to incorporate Brickopolis into their hotel offerings and build the garage on the corner surface lot.

The theorized garage would go directly in front of the hotel's alley entrance. Basically where there is currently a dumpster enclosure and surface lot.

The mini golf would remain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Mini golf not only not going away under this proposal, but they would like to incorporate it into the hotel's amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Isn’t this exactly what the article said? They want to incorporate Brickopolis into their hotel offerings and build the garage on the corner surface lot.
    Agreed, was just addressing the two above posts.

Thread Information