Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gem Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

If this thing happens if will be awesome !

Here's hoping this is a realistic proposal because this looks like a great addition to upper Bricktown.

The views from there would be killer.

The canal needs more of these types of projects. You'd think any hotel there would kill it and at the same time there would be associated bars/restaurants on the water.

This is AWESOME! Great great great use! Takes up an unused building. Adds to it. Canal level interaction. More hotel rooms. This is a spot on development! Love it!

The hotel building looks great! Love the idea of an infinity pool hanging out over the canal area. What's with the blank wall next to it? Surely they aren't tearing down the building next door. Is it just a lazy rendering?

How far along in the process is this? Are these going to a council or committee?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    How far along in the process is this? Are these going to a council or committee?
    Submitted to Bricktown design review; will be on the 10/11 agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Submitted to Bricktown design review; will be on the 10/11 agenda.
    Nice! Good deal, and would help the canal have more life!

9. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

I love this project! So exciting to see the efforts of bringing more height to Bricktown with this and the Boardwalk project.

Connectivity and interaction with the canal... plus more height in Bricktown!? YES PLEASE!

Looking back in the thread this looks much better than the previous proposal for this site from a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    The hotel building looks great! Love the idea of an infinity pool hanging out over the canal area. What's with the blank wall next to it? Surely they aren't tearing down the building next door. Is it just a lazy rendering?
    The renderings on this one are weird. It's like none of them have accounted for the surrounding properties like we are used to seeing. I am not one to complain about projects, but I would think you would want the renderings to show what it would look like against the canal, the Renaissance to the north, Brickopolis to the east, etc.

Infinity pool!! Awesome! Just like Hotel Joule downtown Dallas.

14. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The renderings on this one are weird. It's like none of them have accounted for the surrounding properties like we are used to seeing. I am not one to complain about projects, but I would think you would want the renderings to show what it would look like against the canal, the Renaissance to the north, Brickopolis to the east, etc.
    I thought this too, but I believe they just threw this one together to get in front of the design committee and if they get the go-ahead they will get better more detailed renderings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I thought this too, but I believe they just threw this one together to get in front of the design committee and if they get the go-ahead they will get better more detailed renderings.
    They don't need to render the entire landscape of downtown to have functional renderings. SMH.

This is so exciting. I hope it happens. Not sure what the comments on Instagram are about ? What do these people want.

17. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Watermelonsugar View Post
    This is so exciting. I hope it happens. Not sure what the comments on Instagram are about ? What do these people want.
    They want other people to feel as miserable about everything as they do.

The views from there would be killer.

The canal needs more of these types of projects. You'd think any hotel there would kill it and at the same time there would be associated bars/restaurants on the water.
    Ironic. My wife and I strolled along the canal Sunday evening. We stopped for a drink at the putt putt canal side bar and I commented to her that it was a shame no one had added a hotel to the upper floors of the building directly alongside the canal

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Ironic. My wife and I strolled along the canal Sunday evening. We stopped for a drink at the putt putt canal side bar and I commented to her that it was a shame no one had added a hotel to the upper floors of the building directly alongside the canal
    I had a drink at Bourbon Street last week and every time I do that I think, "What will it take to get the rest of the canal activated?"

I had a drink at Bourbon Street last week and every time I do that I think, "What will it take to get the rest of the canal activated?"
    I'd say this and the Boardwalk towers are big steps in the right direction of activating the rest of the upper canal (Thank you, Pete, for all your coverage on these projects). I don't want to daydream too much, but exciting to think about what over 1,000 units of hotel rooms/apartments/condos could make more economically viable to have in the direct area--more shopping options even. Plus, just having more people walking around the canal area will make it feel more inviting to first time visitors--right now the portion of the canal west of Oklahoma Ave. feels so different (for me, at least) than the portion east of it for that very reason.

I also hope that the parking garage for the Boardwalk towers (and maybe another one put somewhere east of the ballpark if needed) will give future justification for the removal of the canal-facing parking lots that could then be built upon.

A hotel on the canal is awesome and needed. I'm a little curious about location and rendering. I've been hoping for one on the lot next to the old zios location, but maybe both can happen.

Is this just taking over the old Magarita mamas space? Because that's rather tiny, not sure how to fit X amount of rooms on that. There's Yucatán stand building to the west, and that mini golf to the east is very popular, one of the more popular attractions on the canal. I'd hate to see the mini golf go, but a five story hotel is more important in the long term for the canal. I hope there's a way to build this and keep what's around it.

Is anyone familiar with what would be required structurally to add that many floors to an existing building? I assume they had studies done about that.

23. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

That particular building is constructed using reinforced concrete pillars. Commercial structures of that type and vintage were built with the intention that they could expand up, which was often done over the years. I mean, I’m sure they’ve had structural engineers confirming it before they ever got to this point; my office is across the canal and we’ve been observing surveyors plus other workmen coming and going from this building over the past few weeks. I suspect that they’re not guessing at this point.

24. Default Re: Boutique Hotel (formerly The Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    They don't need to render the entire landscape of downtown to have functional renderings. SMH.
    My statement has nothing to do with whether it is functional or not. I guess some developers want the public to use their imagination more.

The renderings are certainly no very sophisticated.

The new ownership/developers are also not known.

Sure hope this happens but there is cause for skepticism after two big projects previously announced for this site completely fell through. Let's hope the third time is a charm.

Thread Information