Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 96 of 96
  1. #76

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    As an informal observer (amateur historian, political scientist, social engineer) of human behavior, in the context of Free Speech Internet Communities and Forums such as this here I just have to interject my Two Cents. As an explorer of many of the finer points of The Great State of Oklahoma, from Broken Bow to Medicine Park even unto Talihina: (Gateway to Mena, AK) and Woolaroc, I am astounded how quickly the discussion of a simple topic such as The Mercantile (in Pawhuska) devolved into dissin' Ree and Ladd vs. Crimes against whomever. On the bright side . . . This thread reminds me, argumentarywise, of the halcyon days of OKCTalk involving Torea (hated railroad noise) vs Thunder (the reminder of all things strange and wonderful) vs Prunepicker (old-line conservative dude). In my opinion only: Don't critique a place you ain't been. Pawhuska is OK. The Mercantile is acceptable. The visit is worth the journey.

  2. #77

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    For some reason a thousand of several thousand words (in the form of photos) got lost back around Post #13. The only thing inside The Merc that I thought might be worth buying . . . but it wasn't for sale. I thought it might look good as a Poetic License Plate. =~)

    Photo1854.jpg

  3. Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    For some reason a thousand of several thousand words (in the form of photos) got lost back around Post #13. The only thing inside The Merc that I thought might be worth buying . . . but it wasn't for sale. I thought it might look good as a Poetic License Plate. =~)

    Photo1854.jpg
    I have to give my Mrs. a *great* deal of credit for having really good discretion in skipping the general, you-can-really-get-that-anywhere kind of stuff from the hey-thats-kinda-legit stuff.

    I mentioned in my little travelog post that when she picked up the cellophane wrap dispenser, I thought it was a little...goofy...until I realized it was a fairly clever gadget designed for anyone who remembers how those cello dispensers *used* to work, until the safety police got to them, reversed the cutter blade, and made them next to impossible not to gnarl up into a wad. Now it works the way it's supposed to, and it looks nice, LOL

  4. #79

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Is this book for sale at the Mecantile?
    lol

    Underrated post.

  5. #80

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    All I am going to say is that it seems the Drummonds have a couple of dozen Osage headrights to go with their land. Make of that what you wish.

  6. #81

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    All I am going to say is that it seems the Drummonds have a couple of dozen Osage headrights to go with their land. Make of that what you wish.
    I wish to make nothing of it because this is just hearsay and lacks facts.

  7. #82

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    I will say this. With The Pioneer Woman's fame increasing and a Scorsese/DeCaprio movie being made about the Osage Murders, lots of people are going to start asking these questions. A whole lot of people. The Drummonds apparently have ~200,00 acres in Osage County and two dozen headrights, but aren't Osage.

  8. #83

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    It's always "just asking questions"...


  9. #84

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I will say this. With The Pioneer Woman's fame increasing and a Scorsese/DeCaprio movie being made about the Osage Murders, lots of people are going to start asking these questions. A whole lot of people. The Drummonds apparently have ~200,00 acres in Osage County and two dozen headrights, but aren't Osage.
    Lots of people on here keep posting these things with the caveat of "I'm just saying." Someone please post definitively that the Drummonds killed and stole from people with hard proof and facts, otherwise it's just slander.

  10. Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    This thread hijack has gotten ridiculous.

  11. #86

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    This thread hijack has gotten ridiculous.
    Amen!

  12. #87

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    alright... let's stick to topic. pioneer woman mercantile, 2017. if you want to have a discussion about osage county history, start another thread.

  13. #88

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    As an informal observer (amateur historian, political scientist, social engineer) of human behavior, in the context of Free Speech Internet Communities and Forums such as this here I just have to interject my Two Cents. As an explorer of many of the finer points of The Great State of Oklahoma, from Broken Bow to Medicine Park even unto Talihina: (Gateway to Mena, AK) and Woolaroc, I am astounded how quickly the discussion of a simple topic such as The Mercantile (in Pawhuska) devolved into dissin' Ree and Ladd vs. Crimes against whomever. On the bright side . . . This thread reminds me, argumentarywise, of the halcyon days of OKCTalk involving Torea (hated railroad noise) vs Thunder (the reminder of all things strange and wonderful) vs Prunepicker (old-line conservative dude). In my opinion only: Don't critique a place you ain't been. Pawhuska is OK. The Mercantile is acceptable. The visit is worth the journey.
    You really like Torea. Maybe in a future life, Rad. . .

  14. #89

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    alright... let's stick to topic. pioneer woman mercantile, 2017. if you want to have a discussion about osage county history, start another thread.
    Agree

    It was just starting to get back on track before it got hijacked again.

  15. #90

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    It is incomprehensible that people would wait in line for 2 or 3 hours to eat there.

  16. #91

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    ^

    I edited out the part that has nothing to do with this particular business.

  17. #92

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    I've seen 2 hour waits at Pops in Arcadia before. Fans will wait for a chance to eat at a destination.

  18. #93

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I've seen 2 hour waits at Pops in Arcadia before. Fans will wait for a chance to eat at a destination.
    I guess a better way to put it is, I can't believe people would wait that long for a meal that they could better prepare at home. I honestly am a fan of her cookbook recipes. I have never made one I didn't care for. I know they are simple southern country recipes, but there is just something that makes them slightly better. Probably more butter.

  19. #94

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    But they are likely not waiting that long for the food, rather than waiting that long to eat at a destination.

    Hence my comparison to Pops. People aren't waiting that long there for a burger, they are waiting that long to eat at Pops on Route 66.

  20. #95

    Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    But they are likely not waiting that long for the food, rather than waiting that long to eat at a destination.

    Hence my comparison to Pops. People aren't waiting that long there for a burger, they are waiting that long to eat at Pops on Route 66.
    Agree

    My younger kids enjoy Pops, but it's for the spectacle. I've never thought their food was that great. I've never been to The Merc or Chip and Joanna Gaines tourist attraction, but I would think it's the same kind of thing. People are going for the spectacle and because they're fans of the TV show rather than because they think they'll get a great meal.

  21. Default Re: Pawhuska - The Pioneer Woman Mercantile

    Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Agree

    My younger kids enjoy Pops, but it's for the spectacle. I've never thought their food was that great. I've never been to The Merc or Chip and Joanna Gaines tourist attraction, but I would think it's the same kind of thing. People are going for the spectacle and because they're fans of the TV show rather than because they think they'll get a great meal.
    That more or less becomes a big Catch-22; people want to eat at the destination because of the spectacle, so the spectacle induces demand, demand induces waits, waits become long, food can't possibly match the hype induced by the wait. So, yes, no one thinks the food is *that* spectacular, but I'd go so far as to say *no place* has food that *really* merits a 3-hour wait.

    I mentioned that in my travelblog in the earlier post; the lunch we had was OK, but not spectacular, but then no place is likely to have food so amazing that it would match up to the expectations created by a 3-hour wait. The food wasn't bad at all - just nothing that left me "wowed" in the sense of "That was the best chicken-fry ever!!" Because it wasn't. Babe's and Lambert's both had it beat, and by a comfortable margin.

    But the trip made my wife happy. And we all know the rest of that saying...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Urban Renewal . . . Pawhuska Style
    By RadicalModerate in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 09:37 PM
  2. Pioneer Woman on Throwdown with Bobby Flay
    By metro in forum General Food & Drink Topics
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
  3. Mercantile Building hotel?
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 11:36 PM
  4. Mercantile building sold; another development planned
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM
  5. Pioneer Woman Picked!
    By Karried in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO