Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UrBun Good Eats

Default Re: UrBun Good Eats

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Shame about the Pork Belly.
    ?? the pork belly bun is on the menu

The Philly bun was outstanding (sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    It is no longer pork belly. I returned to Urbun this past weekend and was very disappointed with how few buns are no offered. My wife, who was waiting in the truck with our baby son was not happy when I returned with only 2 buns and a corn dog... She wanted to drive up to Che's restaurant and give him a piece of her mind, haha.

When I spoke to the guy at the counter he told me that Che was bought out and the new guy wanted to broaden the scope beyond just buns. I get it from a business perspective, but boy am I going to miss having all of those yummy buns around midnight!!

Now that my rant and frustration is out. I will say the guy who talked with me was very friendly and happy to boast the new menu items. I do see myself returning to try the newer items once my mourning is complete over the loss of those fluffy little pillows stuffed with delicious meats and veggies and sauce...

P.S. Anyone know where I could find similar steam buns?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    It is no longer pork belly. I returned to Urbun this past weekend and was very disappointed with how few buns are no offered. My wife, who was waiting in the truck with our baby son was not happy when I returned with only 2 buns and a corn dog... She wanted to drive up to Che's restaurant and give him a piece of her mind, haha.

When I spoke to the guy at the counter he told me that Che was bought out and the new guy wanted to broaden the scope beyond just buns. I get it from a business perspective, but boy am I going to miss having all of those yummy buns around midnight!!

Now that my rant and frustration is out. I will say the guy who talked with me was very friendly and happy to boast the new menu items. I do see myself returning to try the newer items once my mourning is complete over the loss of those fluffy little pillows stuffed with delicious meats and veggies and sauce...

P.S. Anyone know where I could find similar steam buns?
    i had the braised pork belly bun on sunday during open streets it was exactly like it says on the menu posted just above

I raised the screen to 300% and scooted closer. It does have Pork mentioned on it. I'll be having Cataract Surgery later this year. Hopefully I'll be able to read better.

i had the braised pork belly bun on sunday during open streets it was exactly like it says on the menu posted just above
    Hmm, maybe it was pork belly. It seemed to good to be pork belly in my opinion... Maybe I just have had bad luck with the stuff.

I just wanted to reiterate that we did like the food we got this past Saturday, it was just the shock of the changes that affected me.

Broadening the menu at a place like this seems like a quick way to lose your identity to your consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Broadening the menu at a place like this seems like a quick way to lose your identity to your consumers.
    And possibly dilute the food quality. If the menu lists 5 similar things, you probably do them well, but if you have 15 completely different items, how well can you do them all?

I am pretty sure this is a hailmary to keep the joint open.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a hailmary to keep the joint open.
    Yep, this kind of menu-changing usually is. "Try this! Or this! Or maybe that! We have all kinds of food for everybody, no matter what they like.... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeez come eat here."

I kind of get it. Steamed buns seems like kind of a niche/fad. Probably doing what they think they need to do to survive.

I'm with yall though. I typically prefer when places focus on one type of food and do that food well.

This is pretty positive review.

https://www.iateoklahoma.com/post/ur-bun-2

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    This is pretty positive review.

https://www.iateoklahoma.com/post/ur-bun-2
    For perspective, absolutely everything he writes is a love letter, something he admits to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For perspective, absolutely everything he writes is a love letter, something he admits to.
    Which is why Jacob Threadgill, the Gazette's food writer, is way better than Elwell - he criticizes when it's due, and praises when it's worth it, as well as having what seems like way more culinary/kitchen knowledge/experience than Elwell. And no, I don't work for Pete.

So the menu change isn't a last-gasp effort from a dying restaurant, it's been sold to Vuong Nguyen and his partners and they're reinventing the menu, which is a way better option since he's really good... Apparently also not going to be open for lunch.

https://newsok.com/article/5624972/c...sing-temporary

What a poor article from an organized perspective. I was really excited that maybe tsubaki szechuan was temporarily closed, to getting confused thinking Vuong bought it, back to being sad that it's permanently closed, to now understanding that what you said was right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So the menu change isn't a last-gasp effort from a dying restaurant, it's been sold to Vuong Nguyen and his partners and they're reinventing the menu, which is a way better option since he's really good... Apparently also not going to be open for lunch.

https://newsok.com/article/5624972/c...sing-temporary
    The lunch news is disappointing, as is the focus shift away from steam buns. The new menu seems to just be all over the place, with no real identity. I work nearby and I used to stop in from time to time to get my midday steam bun fix. The old pork belly and duck buns were really good, and I really miss the house jang dipping sauce. To be sure, I still plan to give the new menu a try, but I personally liked how it was before. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    What a poor article from an organized perspective. I was really excited that maybe tsubaki szechuan was temporarily closed, to getting confused thinking Vuong bought it, back to being sad that it's permanently closed, to now understanding that what you said was right the first time.
    Yeah, Cathey's a crappy writer. He's one step above Elwell's "Yum, makes my tummy happy" writing.

Closed as of last month.

Hunny Bunny is going to expand into their space.

^^^ Figured that might be the case when we went to the Black Joe Lewis show on 12/14 (A Sat night) and they had a sign on their door saying "Closed early, sorry" sign up, which you usually don't do on a Sat night if you're doing good business. Now we have confirmation, and HunnyBunny might need the space now that the only other hip/cool biscuit place has closed.

I was hoping it would get turned into a quick pizza slice grab type of place. Late night hours with slices of pizza would kill here. They could sell them to the sidewalk just like they do along 6th in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I was hoping it would get turned into a quick pizza slice grab type of place. Late night hours with slices of pizza would kill here. They could sell them to the sidewalk just like they do along 6th in Austin.
    Yep, with the after-show crowd pouring out of the Tower/PonyBoy 3-4 nights a week.

Blog Entries

Would be awesome if one of the other two pizza places in the immediate vicinity would do that, but also there's sauced not all that far away...

HangryHippo Guest

A Sauced window would be cool.

Thread Information