Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

Moore Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

KOMA Building on 4th street in Moore.jpgI saw a trackhoe parked in the parking lot of the old KOMA/KRXO parking lot on 4th street like it was waiting to be demolished soon, I also saw orange signs posted on the door. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know what might be going in it's place? We loose another piece of history with this.

Default Re: Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

I contacted the city of Moore today and there is a demo permit issued for the building and they said it will be coming down in the next few days.

Kind of the end of an era, but it has been blighted for some time now, and I'm glad something is getting done with it.

4. Default Re: Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

Ronnie Kaye talked about it coming down on his show this morning. A couple callers talked about going by to get bricks or ?

Are they going to just have grass in it's place or are they planning on building something new on the site? WIll the transmitter building be staying or torn down also? anyone know?

Are those transmitters still in use?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Are those transmitters still in use?
    Not since the tornado they have a temp antenna setup behind the main building from what it looks like.

The west end of the building was gone when I came by around 1pm today!

Reviving this old thread.

SSM Health is building a Primary Care / Urgent Care facility at this location. It will be single story 14,955 SF primary care center and will consist of 27 exam rooms, 11 offices, a large open lobby area, staff break area, stress/echo rooms and an x-ray room. Construction would be complete approximately the first of next year with weather permitting.

SSM_Moore Cover.jpg
    SSM_Moore Finish.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Kind of the end of an era, but it has been blighted for some time now, and I'm glad something is getting done with it.
    On a related note, is OKC Radio still healthy?

With the pandemic of streaming music from home and more car dashboards integrated with bluetooth and android/Apple apps, does local radio still hold the weight in the market? I know there were some large cutbacks across all of the stations during the pandemic because advertisers pulled back.

^

Their audience would have to be a lot like broadcast TV and newspapers: older and diminishing.

Anecdotal experience incoming.

I really only listen to music when I'm driving and I used to use Spotify for that. Since I've been working from home and don't commute any more, I don't drive even half as much as I used to pre-pandemic so I cancelled Spotify. All of this to say that when I do drive now I usually just turn to FM radio which I haven't done in a long time.

To me it feels like commercial breaks are a lot longer than they used to be when I last regularly listened to the radio. I don't know if that's real or if I'm just used to zero ads, but its what it feels like. The station I've gravitated most to, 92.9 The Edge, does seem to be better in this department but there is also 0 actual human presence on the station, at least when I'm listening. They'll occasionally play a clip of a lady identifying the station with a joke, but that's it. I assumed that was a cost saving measure, but maybe also at least partially its strategic to better emulate a streaming experience and appeal more to a younger crowd? I dunno.

Anyway, I don't really like it and have considered jumping back on the Spotify wagon or getting, like, SiriusXM or something but I just don't think the cost is worth with it with how little I would use it now.

I've had to listen to OKC radio for a while in my old car (CD player died), but only while driving (I have thousands of CDs and LPs that I listen to at home), and it's been really crappy. Wife says the same thing (her CD player also died). We both have 12 FM presets (all the presets are for rock, pop, hip-hop type stations and also 105.7 and 90.1) and there are times when we'd have to flip through all 12 more than once and more than half had commercials, a bunch were jocks yammering and the rest were just crap music (and I listen to a lot of today's stuff, but some of it's just awful, and the classic rock that I've heard 485,391 times is just ridiculous). Wife especially hates all the jocks talking since they say absolutely nothing, it's not interesting or funny, it's just blahblahblah to fill up time.

Luckily my new MINI has a 12-month SiriusXM free trial and when that's over, I'm loading up a USB drive and plugging it in since the MINI can play from there.

14. Default Re: Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

On the couple of occasions I've had my radio on in the truck, usually KATT, it has sounded exactly the same as it did when I listened to the radio 20 years ago..... Same songs and same DJ's.... Only difference I've noticed is the commercials for erectile dysfunction.

I primarily listen to talk radio, lately KOSU for local news, but most of it is NPR. I use to listen to KOKC before the pandemic, which I remember them having local guys both in the AM and PM, now it seems there is only Chad Alexander in the PM, the rest are syndicated. I would like to have both NPR/KOSU and a station that leans more conservative to get both perspectives, but there just isn't any local people picking up the slack. It is sad really, I love radio and I just turned 30 this year. But I can't stomach purchasing SiriusXM, so I have turned to a handful of podcast for content, however the same issue with not a ton of local coverage is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Anecdotal experience incoming.

I really only listen to music when I'm driving and I used to use Spotify for that. Since I've been working from home and don't commute any more, I don't drive even half as much as I used to pre-pandemic so I cancelled Spotify. All of this to say that when I do drive now I usually just turn to FM radio which I haven't done in a long time.

To me it feels like commercial breaks are a lot longer than they used to be when I last regularly listened to the radio. I don't know if that's real or if I'm just used to zero ads, but its what it feels like. The station I've gravitated most to, 92.9 The Edge, does seem to be better in this department but there is also 0 actual human presence on the station, at least when I'm listening. They'll occasionally play a clip of a lady identifying the station with a joke, but that's it. I assumed that was a cost saving measure, but maybe also at least partially its strategic to better emulate a streaming experience and appeal more to a younger crowd? I dunno.

Anyway, I don't really like it and have considered jumping back on the Spotify wagon or getting, like, SiriusXM or something but I just don't think the cost is worth with it with how little I would use it now.
    I'm in a similar boat as you, though I used to listen to the radio pretty regularly before the pandemic too. I'm in my mid-30's and 92.9 The Edge is my favorite radio station here. It has always been light on on-air talent to begin with, but I too have noticed that there is practically no human presence on-air now. As much as I like the station, I fear it's probably on life-support... The Edge has been consistently low on the Nielsen charts for a while now - they captured a 1.2% share of listeners on the last survey in March, which puts them dead last on English-language music stations in our market.

What's kind of amazing to me, since I don't look at ratings often, is KOMA now holds the top share of listeners in this market with their "Classic Hits" format. It doesn't seem like that long ago when KJ103 was the dominant ratings powerhouse, with the KATT nipping on their heels... they ranked 3rd and 2nd, respectively, in the last few Nielsen surveys. I guess streaming really is taking a big chunk out of their target markets nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    What's kind of amazing to me, since I don't look at ratings often, is KOMA now holds the top share of listeners in this market with their "Classic Hits" format. It doesn't seem like that long ago when KJ103 was the dominant ratings powerhouse, with the KATT nipping on their heels... they ranked 3rd and 2nd, respectively, in the last few Nielsen surveys. I guess streaming really is taking a big chunk out of their target markets nowadays.
    KOMA probably pulls in the most across the board since their format is widely listenable to the audience that still listens to music on terrestrial radio. It's basically an eighties station playing the biggest songs of that era. KJ103 has probably taken a hit as the younger crowd they tend to attract has moved to other methods to get music. YouTube, TikTok, Spotify, Apple Music, have had to make a size-able dent into that audience.

Does anyone know if it will Replace the one next to HEJH or will it be a separate office

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    Reviving this old thread.

SSM Health is building a Primary Care / Urgent Care facility at this location. It will be single story 14,955 SF primary care center and will consist of 27 exam rooms, 11 offices, a large open lobby area, staff break area, stress/echo rooms and an x-ray room. Construction would be complete approximately the first of next year with weather permitting.

SSM_Moore Cover.jpg
    SSM_Moore Finish.jpg
    That makes no sense since the hospital is right there just a few blocks away

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Its a Urgent Care/Primary Care Possibility of a relocation from near HEJH is high cant confirm at this time however

21. Default Re: Old KOMA/KRXO Building on S. 4th Street

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Sure it does. One is run by Norman Regional and the other is run by SSM. They are business competitors like any other business and medicine is a business. Integris has theirs just down I-35 from the Moore "hospital", which is really just a dressed up doctor's office. To be honest, the Moore hospital is just an overblown Urgent Care just like these other free-standing ERs/office spaces.

Personally, I avoid anything from Norman Regional. So having another alternative is a good thing.

Thread Information