Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stillwater | OSU Projects Thread

Default Re: Stillwater | OSU Projects Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Historic Cordell Hall demolished to make room for more parking. http://www.ocolly.com/historic-corde...fdbbe37f0.html
    Wow. That’s depressing.

HangryHippo Guest

Historic Cordell Hall demolished to make room for more parking. http://www.ocolly.com/historic-corde...fdbbe37f0.html
    Wow. That is extremely ****ty.

Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Boo!
    Cordell Hall looked out of place next to the stadium. Bennett Hall, which looks similar to Cordell is still around. Morrill Hall, built in 1906, is a magnificent old building I hope they never tear down.

Cordell Hall looked out of place next to the stadium. Bennett Hall, which looks similar to Cordell is still around. Morrill Hall, built in 1906, is a magnificent old building I hope they never tear down.
    Perhaps once the time is right, they will build a larger structure here for housing or classrooms.

I always thought someone with a bit more imagination could have utilized Cordell in conjunction with BP Stadium. Instead of a building right next to it, it could be used as the Grand Entrance to a Fun Zone type of thing or something. And utilize the building as lodging. That seems to be the trendy thing now a days.

Grow, Granny, grow: Owner of popular breakfast spot opening steakhouse on Main Street: http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/gro..._medium=social

If Muskogee wants to get rid of the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame, then Stillwater will take it: http://www.stwnewspress.com/opinion/...7bdf95e90.html

Investors foreclose on The Ranch retirement community http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/loc...0973d4ba5.html

I could be wrong, but it's hard to see very many retired people wanting to live on the far north edge of town far apart from everything else. Who knows, maybe the complex will become a haven for college students and younger working people.

Exterior of McKnight Center nears completion. Still much interior work to do. http://www.ocolly.com/news/mcknight-...d3e7198dc.html

Planet Fitness to open in Stillwater next year. 20,000 sq. ft. To go in the cleared off land across the street from the south side of Wal-Mart on Perkins Rd. Recently a newly built Spin City Laundry opened on the same cleared off land. That area, formerly of old run down houses has needed to move on to commercial development for a very long time.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/pl...ticle-nav-next

There's talk that once American affirms a permanent commitment to Stillwater air service, they'll begin exploring building a terminal with two gates.

OSU's new greenhouse learning center is well along in construction.
    https://news.okstate.edu/articles/ag...ng_center.html

Going back to the first post on the thread, since my son is starting up at OSU in the fall as an engineering major, I've had the opportunity on a couple of occasions to tour and spend time in the new CEAT lab, which is called Endevour. It's absolutely incredible, and very unique among the colleges we visited. It was what finally pushed my son to commit to going to OSU next year. This isn't the type of resources I've seen provided to undergrads typically.

Warren Theater believed coming to downtown area of Stillwater.
    https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/th...07e849a9a.html

Hopefully it will be an urban theatre with structured parking. Does Warren have any experience in this type of development?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hopefully it will be an urban theatre with structured parking. Does Warren have any experience in this type of development?
    The Warren in Old Town Wichita has structured parking, but I suspect that the city built it. Wichita loves two things: the Shockers and free parking downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The Warren in Old Town Wichita has structured parking, but I suspect that the city built it. Wichita loves two things: the Shockers and free parking downtown.
    I need to check the it Wichita. It looks like a pretty cool town. I’ve been holding out for the extended Heartland Flyer(is that induced demand!?!? LOL ) for a Wichita trip, but I make go ahead and take the off beaten path this summer.

I loved living in Wichita. Old Town is fun (a lot like Bricktown), the river makes for a great run, and check out Wichita Brewing Co. and Pizzeria. That was our favorite spot outside downtown where we lived. It's a super easy 2 hour drive from OKC.

I've been to Wichita once, for an OU/Wichita State basketball game at the end of 2017, and was not super impressed, but would like to go back someday since it's an extremely quick trip (barely longer than OKC -> Tulsa). Dan, do you have any other restaurant recommendations besides Wichita Brewing Co?

Time for another update for what's new in projects at Stillwater and OSU:

Construction recently started at a new Planet Fitness Center--20,000 sq. ft.

Next to the Planet Fitness is the already completed Spin City Laundry. Both businesses are off E. Virginia across the street south of the Perkins Rd. Wal-Mart. That location was once a small ghetto area that needed cleared off for a long time.

Central Rural Electric Cooperative building, located at S. Perkins Rd. and S. Boomer Rd.

New Westwood Elementary School to replace the old one next to it.

Expansion project at Stillwater Regional Hospital to add 2nd floor to emergency wing.

Stillwater Cancer Center

Construction on Beta Theta Pi house on W. University Ave.

Another Greek house under construction. It's at the corner of Jefferson St. and W. University, or across the street from Theta Pond.

OSU's new baseball stadium at N. Washington and W. McElroy in the Athletic Village. Its cost is $60 million.

Also at a cost of $60 million, OSU's McKnight Center for the Performing Arts will open this Fall. Excitement is building as OSU will have a bigger capacity auditorium than the one at Stillwater High School, and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra will celebrate the opening with performances on October 12 and 13th. The OSU Symphony Orchestra packs the house when it performs one of the great symphonies, such as Beethoven's 3rd, so this great place shouldn't be too big for OSU and Stillwater.

Another view of the McKnight Center.

OSU's new Spears School of Business is quite a sight. I wouldn't be surprised if some people think it rivals OSU's library for architectural beauty. It was dedicated April 2018.

The OSU Wesley Foundation has been complete since last summer. It's a gathering place for OSU students by the United Methodist campus ministry. Above the door is written, "HALL OF HOPE GROUNDED ON GRACE". It's located at the north end of the strip.

OSU's new Endeavor building opened last fall. It was mentioned by jerrywall above. Located on N. Hester St., it's just a short walk from the stadium. It's purpose is explained here: https://news.okstate.edu/articles/en...-endeavor.html

A closer look at sports car parked in front of the Endeavor building.

The car's explanation is below.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Dan, do you have any other restaurant recommendations besides Wichita Brewing Co?
    I moved away in 2013 so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but in addition to Wichita Brewing Co., we also liked Public (in Old Town), Wasabi sushi (Old Town), The Anchor (Old Town), Old Mill Tasty Shop (Douglas), and Monarch (Delano District). The Warren in Old Town is fantastic for a movie, Crown's Uptown Theatre is a classic dinner/theater spot, and Mort's is an intimate bar in Old Town.

And, it's true, Wichita is not going to blow you away, but it has charm. It's not a tourist destination so you can stay at the Ambassador downtown for pretty cheap. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Wow that new business building is fantastic.

Thread Information