Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I-35 in OKC

Default I-35 in OKC

Didn't know where else to put this or where it fit, so I put it here.

A lot of what people see of our city is what they see when they pass through on I-40 and I-35. At least on I-40 they can see downtown and if the park and everything else comes to fruition then the view from I-40 will only get better.

But those traveling north and south through the city don't really get a feel for our city and downtown. I-35 south of I-40 is mostly industrial. Then you take a jog on I-40 to north I-35 before you get to downtown. And north I-35 is mostly barren and industrial too. I think it's better than it is south of I-40 but there's still not a lot that promotes OKC. You get to see Frontier City but that's about it.

I don't know what the answer is but I don't think we're putting our best foot forward with the view from I-35.

Default Re: I-35 in OKC

Yes, I've always thought it was ugly. I travel to Dallas frequently and wonder each time why OKC doesn't approach ODOT and somehow make 35 more aesthetically pleasing with new signage, maybe new sign posts like the bent ones they're using near the new I44/BWX interchange. Maybe even paint the concrete/bridges or just something. It's so barren and full of, well, concrete.

A couple of years ago when I drove out to Palm Springs I noticed how nice I40 was in Albuquerque. They have quite a bit of LED lighting under the overpasses and it's really pretty neat. Very simple, can't possible cost much to maintain, and something memorable about ABQ I remember.

Basically imagine the pedestrian bridge on 40 lit up, but every major overpass.

It's pretty hideous. I transferred here from DFW in 2009 and my only perception of OKC when I got the call to move was what we saw when we drove I-35 from DFW to Wichita to see my inlaws, which was frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    It's pretty hideous. I transferred here from DFW in 2009 and my only perception of OKC when I got the call to move was what we saw when we drove I-35 from DFW to Wichita to see my inlaws, which was frequent.
    Yep. This is exactly the path I'm talking about. And how a lot of people see OKC.

I know businesses in similar fields tend to follow closely with each other. Maybe if we could get one business (that didn't want to be downtown anyway) to build a nice campus on north I-35 then others would follow suit. Kind of like the medical facilities on Broadway Extension. Those are nice looking buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    My impression of Dallas would suck if I based it on 35E between Denton and Dallas even before all the construction. I think that 35 between 240 and 40 is a lost cause EXCEPT for the view northbound right after you pass under SE 15th. That makes up for all the rest of the ugliness in my book.

At least on 35E you have Lake Lewisville, Downtown Dallas, and...well that's it lol

I think I-35 is slowly coming along:

- The Skydance Bridge
    - Oklahoma Riverfront & Whitewater Center
    - Improving Downtown Skyline
    - Wheeler District
    - Native American Cultural Center (at some point, I hope)

Areas I think could be improved and become potential focal points in the future:

- Crossroads Mall area (maybe there will be better development after that interchange gets fixed)
    - Adventure District
    - Covell

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post

- The Skydance Bridge
    - Oklahoma Riverfront & Whitewater Center
    - Improving Downtown Skyline
    - Wheeler District
    - Native American Cultural Center (at some point, I hope)

Areas I think could be improved and become potential focal points in the future:

- Crossroads Mall area (maybe there will be better development after that interchange gets fixed)
    - Adventure District
    - Covell
    Most of your first list is I-40

I-35 through Norman, Norman, and Moore are pretty. I-35 needs to be 10 laned from downtown OKC to Norman and hopefully some of the surrounding development within the OKC portion can be completely redone. It would be nice to see I-35 bridge over the OKC river be rebuilt into a massive new bridge and a true mix master built into the I-35/235/I-40 interchange with elevated bridges connecting I-35 directly without even having to get on I-40. ODOT needs to spend about half a billion or so on that but given how they can barely fund current projects, I don't see that happening without some big initiative taken and as traffic isn't that horrible right now that initiative probably won't be there for some time.

I-35 is going to be reconstructed as part of ODOT's 8yr plan between I-44 and I-40 and widened to six lanes so hopefully we will see some nice investment in that area. They are also adding capacity on I-35 over the Oklahoma River a couple miles to the south I believe in 2021 or something. I would at least like a lane each way to be added for a HOT lane as opposed to HOV lane where it is tolled for single riders during rush hours and free for HOV and then becomes a regular lane the rest of the time. They could also use that to help fund light-rail to Norman and the airport.

As far as any other projects currently in the works or on ACOG's agenda is widening I-35 from Norman to Goldsby to six lanes and I-35 in North Edmond to from 2nd St. to Waterloo and eventually to Stillwater to six lanes though none of those projects are funded. Keep in mind those are just widenings and don't really show whether or not they will have anything to enhance the look of the area though wider highways are generally associated with larger cities and might impress passerby's.

The Norman project will look really cool once they get that finished as will the 240/35 interchange.

I do wish they'd stop industrial sprawl out on I-35 in east OKC as there are plenty of other spots that can go to and let suburban residential sprawl fill up as it would look nicer.

I have noticed a lot of the smaller cities seem to not look so great from the interstates with the exception of Albuquerque, Nashville, and St. Louis. Memphis and Tulsa are much, much worse looking except for I-44 through Tulsa which has one spot which I think takes the cake for the best urban freeway in Oklahoma though that will change as I think the Kilpatrick, I-44, and I-35 in OKC are transformed through the next decade in terms of highway construction and private development alongside the freeways.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Most of your first list is I-40
    Skydance bridge is visible from I-35, as is the entire downtown area.
    You are physically driving on I-35 for everything else on that list, including the section shared with I-40.

I think the view from I-35 between the Kilpatrick and I-40 is quite nice due to the woodlands and topography. I-35 between I-40 and about 27th St in Moore, however, could use a bit of beautification and redevelopment. I-44 is my favorite freeway to view OKC from.

We could have a full loop around the city like a Kansas City and divert a lot of traffic--a majority of which would not care about the views. While you do mention the industrial sections of I-35, I-40 has plenty of industrial business along it as well.

As for the park, you're not going to be able to see that from I-40 since it will be up and behind the retaining walls surrounding both sides of the interstate.

My only concern with I-35 is widening that last stretch between I-44 and NE 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    We could have a full loop around the city like a Kansas City and divert a lot of traffic.
    Theoretically that was the ultimate goal of the Kilpatrick, and look where we are with that. The Southwest part is going to be completely messed up, and the East part is 'controversial', to put it mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Theoretically that was the ultimate goal of the Kilpatrick, and look where we are with that. The Southwest part is going to be completely messed up, and the East part is 'controversial', to put it mildly.
    Word.

Skydance bridge is visible from I-35, as is the entire downtown area.
    You are physically driving on I-35 for everything else on that list, including the section shared with I-40.
    Honestly, the Skydance Bridge is not very visible from I-35. It sits a mile and a half west of I-35, and it's pretty hard to tell what it is from that vantage point if you're not familiar with it. Similarly, Wheeler District is two and a quarter miles west of I-35 and is not visible at all from that vantage point. That said, I do agree that the downtown skyline view is fairly good and constantly getting better too, and the boathouse district looks pretty cool from the highway too.

Found a picture of the simple lighting ABQ does on I40 that I think has a nice look, especially at night and early morning.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Found a picture of the simple lighting ABQ does on I40 that I think has a nice look, especially at night and early morning.

That looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post

Won't work here in OK as ODOT can't even keep the overhead illumination going. I can't imaging how many of those bridge lights would go out in a month and not be replaced. For example, the high mast lighting at I44 and Lincoln has been out (mostly) for 15 years!

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Won't work here in OK as ODOT can't even keep the overhead illumination going. I can't imaging how many of those bridge lights would go out in a month and not be replaced. For example, the high mast lighting at I44 and Lincoln has been out (mostly) for 15 years!
    OG&E handles all the lighting after it's built, just FYI. But yes it's always dark over there at night.

HangryHippo Guest

What is the reason why ODOT doesn't manage the lighting?

- The Skydance Bridge - Can barely be seen from I-35 even if you know what you're looking for.
    - Oklahoma Riverfront & Whitewater Center- Can be seen but not as well as from I-40.
    - Improving Downtown Skyline - Can be seen but not the same kind of impact you get from say I-235 near the Sheridan exit.
    - Wheeler District - Cannot be seen from I-35.
    - Native American Cultural Center (at some point, I hope) - Maybe...someday. But right now not much more than a pile of dirt.

- Adventure District
    - Covell
    Look at Google streetview at the point before you have to veer off to the east to continue on I-35. From that vantage point you don't get a good idea of what's going on in OKC. The view from 35 doesn't make that much or that good of an impact. I-35 is not OKC putting it's best foot forward to people passing through. From I-35 there's just not much that would make people passing through want to stop, see what's happening in OKC, and stay awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    What is the reason why ODOT doesn't manage the lighting?
    I'm not totally sure, but anytime you call to report a light out you're routed to OG&E unless you get someone nice enough to just take the info and tell you they'll pass it along to them.

Where do you think I-35 is?

For some reason I had the location of the Wheeler District in the same spot as the cultural center when I was trying to visualize driving the shared I-40/I-35 stretch. I don't know what I was thinking there.

Thread Information