Widgets Magazine

Thread: What's the history of North Highland/Estes Park and College Park?

Default What's the history of North Highland/Estes Park and College Park?

What is the story behind these patchy looking postwar neighborhoods? the ones bound by Wilshire, Western, 122nd and Broadway Extension. Were they built as public housing for the poor, or were they nice ,well-to-do neighboorhoods at first? I find it odd that they are relatively newer homes built on an old-fashioned grid street layout and not curvilinear like most post war tract housing, and in College Park (the one by NW 122nd) it appears that several intersections were closed off and no one bothered to remove the extra concrete/asphalt. it looks like the streetwork existed for several decades before homes were built there, or maybe there were old houses that were bulldozed during Urban Renwal and these are the replacements (like the John F Kennedy Neighborhood in NE OKC).

It seems like an interesting area because i know little of how it came to be and why it's so poor and crime ridden when it's so close to one of the richest parts of the state. Was it public housing, or was it the result of blockbusting by unscrupulous realtors? I can't find much information about it, but it reminds me of the JFK neighborhood.

Maybe it will be redeveloped like that neighboorhood were Chesapeake is now. It used to look somewhat like this.

Default Re: What's the history of North Highland/Estes Park and College Park?

That area was once the town of Britton, founded in 1889 with houses dating back to the 1910's (earliest I could find doing a quick search) near downtown Britton.

I grew up in North Highlands! It was a beautiful suburban neighborhood when my parents purchased a house there in 1973. NH is boarded by Walker, Broadway, Wilshire, and Britton Road. We even had the miniature golf course, Hook & Slice, just south of Wilshire on Harvey! The best little league baseball rivalry going was the North Highland Hillbillies versus the Nichols Hills Rattlesnakes!

Quote Originally Posted by RGSR View Post
    I grew up in North Highlands! It was a beautiful suburban neighborhood when my parents purchased a house there in 1973. NH is boarded by Walker, Broadway, Wilshire, and Britton Road. We even had the miniature golf course, Hook & Slice, just south of Wilshire on Harvey! The best little league baseball rivalry going was the North Highland Hillbillies versus the Nichols Hills Rattlesnakes!
    Interesting, never knew about the miniature golf course. I wonder what happened to cause the neighborhood to go downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by RGSR View Post
    Yes, Hook and Slice used to be pretty awesome, miniature golf, go karts, a driving range, water bumper boats as well as a video games and a snack bar inside. Pody Poe used to be the owner I believe and I recall the inside of the building had a spiral staircase that led to the 2nd floor.

Quote Originally Posted by John_T View Post
    Interesting, never knew about the miniature golf course. I wonder what happened to cause the neighborhood to go downhill?
    The answer isn't very PC, don't ask.

In my opinion....home owners leaving for Edmond and or greener pastures. Also real estate investors buying up property and renting it to any and everybody, including the section 8 program. It also has never been helpful that the neighborhood is close to every television station so that when an incident does happen, it gets "live breaking news" status. That type of coverage helped the neighborhood develop "street cred" which it didn't always deserve. There are still plenty of hard working and caring homeowners who live in the neighborhood.

Well, I think the neighborhood is in a prime location, being between Nichols hills and Edmond, and conveniently located near Broadway extension. I'm surprised the property values are so low and it isn't more desirable

The area could be nice in my opinion, but evertime I drive past it it looks depressing. Lots of neglected and/or boarded up homes and businesses

I agree, it has potential.

Thread Information