Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFCA awards 1946 OAMC Football National Championship

Default Re: AFCA awards 1946 OAMC Football National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Are you sure about that? it appears schools "lobbied" to be awarded championships. Will be interesting to see if lobbying included a donation to the organization that is based out of waco?

i am sure the hard hitting journalists at the DOK will do a freedom of information act request to see the emails and correspondence between OSU and the organization.
    I have been told that this was a fundraiser for AFCA. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is then it would appear to be a buy yourself a title type of deal.

At the request of multiple schools, the AFCA established a panel of national championship coaches to retroactively select Coaches' Trophy winners from 1922 (when the AFCA was founded) up to 1949 (the year before the Coaches' Poll was first published). That panel of coaches took information submitted by schools who felt they were worthy of consideration and used that data in the research and selection process
    So some schools that had never won an NC lobbied this group to award some retro NCs and then the schools had to make their case for being awarded the NC for said year.

Army was awarded the AP national title that year and should be the only champion. In 1945 Army defeated 5 ranked teams and Hitler. 4 of the 5 teams were top 10. They beat #9 Michigan 28-7, #2 Notre Dame 48-0, #6 Penn 61-0, #2 Navy 32-13, and #19 Duke 48-13. I guess Bama could make a claim to the title (they always do), but their resume just doesn't stack up to Army's.

The Missouri Valley wasn't even considered a major conference in 1945. All the major schools from that conference split off in 1928 and became the Big 6. Oklahoma A&M stayed with the smaller schools in the Missouri Valley.

Honestly, why do you even give a ****? It doesn't affect you in any way so just move on. They awarded it. OSU received a crystal ball. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Honestly, why do you even give a ****? It doesn't affect you in any way so just move on. They awarded it. OSU received a crystal ball. That's it.
    I could ask you the same question. Why does it matter to you? Why did you start this thread? It doesn't affect you in any way.

I just think it's humorous that osu fans are puffing their chest out about this. I will just move on, but it's kind of annoying all these colleges claiming and creating fake awards and trophies. It devalues the real thing.

I'm sure OSU will put up a big sign at the entrance to the boat house district crowing about this "championship."

They've already made a shirt

If you can't read the fine print, it says 0 National Champs.

I care because I graduated from there and it is cool that our team got recognized for having a good team. It has no relevance to you in any way but of course, you have to give your two cents. I posted it because there are other OSU fans here who may have been interested. Very simple to understand.

And if anyone is interested in why I have a deep passionate hate for the majority of OU fans, it's because of dickheads like that. I've had to deal with this crap my entire life. Remember, OU fans really don't care about OSU. Just ask them.

I'll just reference my post on page one about someone with an OSU jersey hidden in their sock drawer.

Any championships claimed prior to the advent of the AP poll in 1936 are bogus, but schools claim them. Any championships claimed after the advent of the AP poll by teams that did not finish #1 in the AP poll are also bogus. Coaches Poll national champtionships are legit from when that poll started in 1950. My ratoinale is really simple: if it was considered a national championship at the time than it's a national championship. If not, then it's not.

Having said all that, a lot of schools like Alabama and USC claim bogus titles. I've always liked that OU only claims 7 titles that are legit by those standards because OU could claim 16. As I've said before, OSU is probably smart to claim it. I've held this view about Alabama's titles long before this came up.

8. Default Re: AFCA awards 1946 OAMC Football National Championship

I agree with the comments that OSU fans/alums should feel great that a reasonably credible group thinks their team was as good as any in the country in '45. That's something worth being happy about, and if they wanted to hang a banner over it, whatever. If Alabama and others do it, it's hard to argue against at least letting the Pokes celebrate it. More power to them.

That said, I will also agree with Dan; I like that OU only uses they system of counting championships that were recognized by the universally-accepted contemporary standards. I think that it is completely bogus that Alabama (and others) use(s) the method of counting every year in which SOMEBODY said they were the best. I along with most Sooner fans/alums I've talked to on this topic (for years) agree that it is especially shady the way Alabama counts from one poll one year and ignores it the next when they weren't voted champs in that one, but instead use a different one (that they ignored in previous years) to claim a title. Alabama of all schools should be above using shady math to convince people they have a great tradition. On that topic my views are based on having this discussion with other OU fans for years (regarding Alabama, et al) and are unrelated to this development surrounding OSU '45 season.

Congrats Pokes; whether you hang a banner or buy a T-shirt not, it's obvious that '45 was indeed a great season for OSU.

Wow! How weird that several OU fans are all of a sudden very knowledgeable about the college football landscape of 1945. Sounds like some time was spent googling 1945 NCAA football and perhaps many sooner fans are taking his more seriously than OSU fans. It's ironic that those fans are usually the same ones who claim they don't ever worry about OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    And if anyone is interested in why I have a deep passionate hate for the majority of OU fans, it's because of dickheads like that. I've had to deal with this crap my entire life. Remember, OU fans really don't care about OSU. Just ask them.
    AP, I'm just bustin' your chops. Do I think it's silly to claim it? Yeah. But I'm really just having fun with you for the most part. I'm not really taking it that seriously,

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Any championships claimed prior to the advent of the AP poll in 1936 are bogus, but schools claim them. Any championships claimed after the advent of the AP poll by teams that did not finish #1 in the AP poll are also bogus. Coaches Poll national champtionships are legit from when that poll started in 1950. My ratoinale is really simple: if it was considered a national championship at the time than it's a national championship. If not, then it's not.

Having said all that, a lot of schools like Alabama and USC claim bogus titles. I've always liked that OU only claims 7 titles that are legit by those standards because OU could claim 16. As I've said before, OSU is probably smart to claim it. I've held this view about Alabama's titles long before this came up.
    Agree

I've always thought it was dumb that Bama claimed so many retroactively awarded championships. They have enough real championships that they shouldn't have to stoop to that. And aTm suddenly gained a couple of championships upon joining the SEC. It's just silly that any team does this and I've felt that way long before this happened.

Oklahomans care because the Oklahoma state legislature gives several million dollars in tax payer money a year to osu for athletics to keep them a float. So I think people have the right to know where the tax payer money is going. If it's for buying old championships from 71 years back the tax payer had a right to know.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Wow! How weird that several OU fans are all of a sudden very knowledgeable about the college football landscape of 1945. Sounds like some time was spent googling 1945 NCAA football and perhaps many sooner fans are taking his more seriously than OSU fans. It's ironic that those fans are usually the same ones who claim they don't ever worry about OSU.
    Google my ass. I have more knowledge of college football history in my little finger than you have in your clouded little brain. Make sure your mommy gives you your meds tomorrow.

14. Default Re: AFCA awards 1946 OAMC Football National Championship

I didn't have to google Bob Fenimore or the 1945 OSU team to know they were very good because I'm a college football fan and I live in Oklahoma.

I also don't have to google Doc Blanchard or Earl Blaik or the 1945 Army team to know they 1. won a Heisman 2. made it to the HOF and 3. were not only undefeated but beat - no, DOMINATED - something like 4 or 5 top ten teams including a couple of number 2s, beat most everyone they played by 40 or 50 points including a bunch of shutouts, were awarded the AP national championship and are widely considered one of the greatest teams of all time.

I didn't bring it up because I thought this was a cool thing for OSU and I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but hey, as long as we're getting snarky...

And as long as we're talking Google it might be worth it for some OSU fans to fire it up and check out Army. It's a shame that the mighty fighting Aggies from that season didn't get to play that Army team so we could all be sure who was better. Surely would have been a hell of a game. Or, maybe a 50-0 shutout.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Oklahomans care because the Oklahoma state legislature gives several million dollars in tax payer money a year to osu for athletics to keep them a float. So I think people have the right to know where the tax payer money is going. If it's for buying old championships from 71 years back the tax payer had a right to know.
    Don't forget to wash that Jersey when you're done with it. And put it back by the lube.

nm - You know what? If you are an OU fan and you stand by these allegations of bribery and corruption? Against the same org that awarded OU how many trophies? That tells me all I need to know about you. You might as well be defending Donald Trumps sexual assaults.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I could ask you the same question. Why does it matter to you? Why did you start this thread? It doesn't affect you in any way.

I just think it's humorous that osu fans are puffing their chest out about this. I will just move on, but it's kind of annoying all these colleges claiming and creating fake awards and trophies. It devalues the real thing.

I'm sure OSU will put up a big sign at the entrance to the boat house district crowing about this "championship."

They've already made a shirt

If you can't read the fine print, it says 0 National Champs.
    Everyone that I have heard are not 'puffing out their chests about it'. They are having fun with it. And baiting OU fans with it.

Thread Information