Widgets Magazine

Thread: Mustang Comprehensive Plan

Mustang Mustang Comprehensive Plan

Little article today in the paper about some of the findings by the consultants. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Default Re: Mustang Comprehensive Plan

Below is website to Imagine Mustang:

http://imaginemustang.com/

With how locked up Mustang is from because of Oklahoma City, they don't have a lot of room for future expansion. I seriously wish OKC would de-annex a lot of the western part of the city over to Yukon and Mustang allowing them room to grow. At least Yukon has an escape route to the west, whereas Mustang is stuck.

Yeah I know Mustang has tried on the land to the south to no avail.

Okc will never allow de-annexation. My protest plan has been to refer to the area between Yukon and Mustang as Yutang.

Muskon.

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Okc will never allow de-annexation. My protest plan has been to refer to the area between Yukon and Mustang as Yutang.
    I've just kind of thought of it as Mustang since most all of it is Mustang schools. One of my friends that lives up that way calls it Yustang pretty regularly.

Asking because I have no idea at all how it works and I have long wondered, but how are the majority of Mustang schools outside of Mustang? Do people living within the Mustang school district but outside of Mustang pay property tax to OKC or to Mustang? I would imagine OKC, because they're not within Mustang's voting districts, right? So does OKC then pass the money from those residents in "No Man's Land" to Mustang?

Property tax is by county. Each municipality has a school district and Mustangs covers a large area. Map at http://filecabinet5.eschoolview.com/...p_approved.png

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Property tax is by county. Each municipality has a school district and Mustangs covers a large area. Map at http://filecabinet5.eschoolview.com/...p_approved.png
    Yes, that's exactly my point and why I was asking. The vast majority of that area is not inside Mustang. So the tax goes to Canadian County, who then sends it to the schools based on where the property is located by district, rather than city? I guess I probably should have figured that, when my Dad paid off his house I went to the bank with him, and one of the things they went over is now you send your tax to the county directly, since the bank isn't there to act as a middleman any more.

Something to consider when buying a home is the tax rate for the school district it's in. In Canadian county the tax rate for say the Banner district is much less than Yukon, Mustang or Piedmont. Better schools in those communities though.

Couple of more updates.

I appreciate the many mentions of the words "pedestrian" and "urban" in the master plan presentations. Not that suburban design is the worst thing in the world, but it would be nice if Mustang adopted a more concise layout to differentiate itself from trying to just being "Yukon-lite". I personally live right in the middle of Yustang and wouldn't mind Yukon staying as the retail go-to and Mustang being more of a recreation-oriented area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I appreciate the many mentions of the words "pedestrian" and "urban" in the master plan presentations. Not that suburban design is the worst thing in the world, but it would be nice if Mustang adopted a more concise layout to differentiate itself from trying to just being "Yukon-lite". I personally live right in the middle of Yustang and wouldn't mind Yukon staying as the retail go-to and Mustang being more of a recreation-oriented area.
    If you lived in Mustang you certainly wouldn't like that idea. Sales tax, sales tax, sales, tax. It takes a lot of that to support your recreation oriented areas.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    If you lived in Mustang you certainly wouldn't like that idea. Sales tax, sales tax, sales, tax. It takes a lot of that to support your recreation oriented areas.
    I understand your point, I'm not suggesting that Mustang just be a free playground. It can certainly have it's own effective mix of retail and quality businesses. I'm just hoping it doesn't try to copy the disjointed traffic/strip mall cluster that is Yukon.

I understand your point, I'm not suggesting that Mustang just be a free playground. It can certainly have it's own effective mix of retail and quality businesses. I'm just hoping it doesn't try to copy the disjointed traffic/strip mall cluster that is Yukon.
    Seems too late for that. Traffic is terrible before and after work.

Really if you think about it, there are only two points where traffic is bad in Mustang, and one of them could easily be addressed in several ways. The Lowes/Walmart light just simply needs to go. It never should have been put there in the first place, both places can easily be accessed from Sara, there was no need to add a light a couple hundred feet from another light on the main road through town. Or what I've been preaching for years, time the lights to work WITH each other, not against each other. If they can't figure out how to time the lights better, then just take it down.

While Mustang Road/152 can definitely get clogged, it doesn't back up anywhere near as far as Sara road does. I think reviewing the timing of that light would help tremendously as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Really if you think about it, there are only two points where traffic is bad in Mustang, and one of them could easily be addressed in several ways. The Lowes/Walmart light just simply needs to go. It never should have been put there in the first place, both places can easily be accessed from Sara, there was no need to add a light a couple hundred feet from another light on the main road through town. Or what I've been preaching for years, time the lights to work WITH each other, not against each other. If they can't figure out how to time the lights better, then just take it down.

While Mustang Road/152 can definitely get clogged, it doesn't back up anywhere near as far as Sara road does. I think reviewing the timing of that light would help tremendously as well.
    +1

Mustang is not nearly as developed as Yukon, lots of room for improvement. Yukon sold its soul to mid-level retail hell and is letting any developer just throw dollar stores and chicken joints in any free piece of land.

+1

Mustang is not nearly as developed as Yukon, lots of room for improvement. Yukon sold its soul to mid-level retail hell and is letting any developer just throw dollar stores and chicken joints in any free piece of land.
    I imagine they are not in the strongest negotiating position when much of the new projects north of 10th street can just threaten to build south of 10th and send the tax receipts to OKC.

An update on some of the thoughts for Imagine Mustang in today's paper.

On the one hand, with so many areas that DO need a left turn lane, I don't like the idea of entirely eliminating it.

On the other hand, since we just can't seem to convince people it's a left turn OUT of the main road lane, as opposed to make a left ONTO the road and then cruise in it for half a mile (or more), then I really like the idea of tearing it right up.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until they fix it (which means forever), giving Walmart/Lowes their own light just a stone's throw away from the light on Sara was a really dumb idea. Both can be accessed from Sara. It's even dumber because nobody can figure out how to time the two lights along 152 correctly. Mustang keeps trying to say it's OKC's problem, although the entire area is well within Mustang. And then even worse is the people who try to turn left/east from the driveway even closer to the light that the light is to Sara. In the words of the great thinker Tater Salad: You can't fix stupid.

Thread Information