Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Denied: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied
    POSTED 4:00 PM, OCTOBER 11, 2016, BY KFOR-TV & K. QUERRY

http://kfor.com/2016/10/11/denied-ok...ension-denied/

OKLAHOMA CITY – If you live in Oklahoma, you may want to apply for a passport if you plan to travel within the next couple of years.

It’s all part of the Real ID Act, which is a coordinated effort by the states and the federal government to improve the reliability of state issued ID’s.

It’s meant to inhibit terrorists’ ability to get fake ID’s.

However, Oklahoma passed a law in 2007 that said our state wouldn’t comply with the Real ID Act.

Critics said they are concerned about how our information will be stored, but now officials have a new concern.

After several attempts to get the law reversed failed this past legislative session, Oklahomans are now facing a deadline.

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety was notified that the State of Oklahoma’s request for an extension to become compliant with the Real ID Act was denied.

Oklahoma is currently operating under a grace period, which ends Jan. 29, 2017.

Beginning on Jan. 30, 2017, federal agencies are prohibited from accepting driver’s licenses and identification cards that were issued by non-compliant states for “official purposes.”

In other words, if you do not have a form of identification that complies with the Real ID Act, you will not be allowed to enter a federal building, facility, military base or courthouse.

Beginning on Jan. 22, 2018, a driver’s license or state ID from a state that is not compliant with the Real ID Act will not be accepted to board a commercial aircraft within the United States.

A handful of state leaders say they were concerned this could happen if the Legislature failed to act in 2016.

“Even if we pass a bill in the 2017 legislative session to address this, we will not have Real ID compliant licenses in the hands of Oklahomans by the time that deadline hits in 2018,” Sen. David Holt said.

A passport or military ID are both considered Real ID compliant and would work to get you on an airplane.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

In my opinion, it is so important to be Real ID compliant in order to fly on U.S. airlines, enter federal government buildings and Tinker AFB and Fort Sill that Governor Mary Fallin has an obligation to all Oklahomans to immediately call for an emergency session of the state legislature. The legislature could pass a bill requiring all new Oklahoma driver's licenses and state issued ID's be Real ID compliant in probably 2 days. If the legislature is smart, they'll also make all state driver's licenses expire on the driver's birth month in 2017 and not the year listed on the license. I don't think it is wise to delay passing Real ID compliancy until the next legislative session.

Our tag agencies are going to be very busy issuing new driver's licenses to nearly everyone in the next 12 months and issuing new car license plates to all of Oklahoma's registered cars during the next year.

Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

In other words, if you do not have a form of identification that complies with the Real ID Act, you will not be allowed to enter a federal building, facility, military base or courthouse.
    So...anyone called for jury duty has to have a passport or something other than drivers license? Pardon my ignorance if I'm interpreting that wrong, but if so holy ****.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    So...anyone called for jury duty has to have a passport or something other than drivers license? Pardon my ignorance if I'm interpreting that wrong, but if so holy ****.
    I don't think so, if I'm reading this right... From the FAQ.

REAL ID does NOT apply to the following:

Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
    Voting or registering to vote
    Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
    Being licensed by a state to drive
    Accessing Health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s access to court proceedings)
    Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations
    The assumption is that a trial is a "law enforcement proceedings". I could be wrong on that though.

I am assuming the news article fails to clarify that lacking a compliant ID would prevent you from entering Federal Courthouses. So, those called to jury duty at a state court, like Oklahoma County, will not be handled any differently.

My passport is good for another 7 years so....

I think one of simplest suggestions would be a state tax credit to cover the cost of a passport card. Until they could implement something more permanent.

Lol.

Oklahoma isn't the only state in this predicament. There's something like 20+ other states who filed for extensions and a few more who aren't compliant either.

I have a passport, so I'm not particularly worried. And it's funny how this is such a big deal and people are mad about it, but yet some people think voters shouldn't have to procure a valid license to vote. Not meaning to derail the thread, but isn't there a certain level of hypocrisy there? A genuine thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    Oklahoma isn't the only state in this predicament. There's something like 20+ other states who filed for extensions and a few more who aren't compliant either.

I have a passport, so I'm not particularly worried. And it's funny how this is such a big deal and people are mad about it, but yet some people think voters shouldn't have to procure a valid license to vote. Not meaning to derail the thread, but isn't there a certain level of hypocrisy there? A genuine thought.

The hipocricy is that the states that insist on restricting the type of IDs that are acceptable to vote are the same state's that refuse to comply with this 11 year old law on the basis that it is an undue burden.

Quote Originally Posted by checkthat View Post
    The hipocricy is that the states that insist on restricting the type of IDs that are acceptable to vote are the same state's that refuse to comply with this 11 year old law on the basis that it is an undue burden.
    30 or so states/territories aren't in compliance. I'd love to see that match up to the states that require some sort of voter IDs (New York isn't in compliance for example). Oklahoma takes their ID for voting, or even a free voter ID card which has no picture. Seems like less of a burden than a photo ID that contains your full legal name and birth date, a valid birth certificate, a social security number, and proof of legal U.S. citizenship (and that's just to get a real ID).

There is an element of "show your papers" to this, which is probably why there's so much bipartisan support against it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    There is an element of "show your papers" to this, which is probably why there's so much bipartisan support against it.
    Bingo. The problem is in the federal mandate, not in the states fighting it. But it's being framed as a state problem.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

I recommend going beyond just a passport and adding a passport CARD. It's inexpensive, is the same size of a drivers license and looks a bit like a military ID. That way you don't have to carry a passport booklet with you everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I recommend going beyond just a passport and adding a passport CARD. It's inexpensive, is the same size of a drivers license and looks a bit like a military ID. That way you don't have to carry a passport booklet with you everywhere.
    this. . .!! I did. Just remember. . .it can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from: Canada. Mexico. Still a really great option for "daily carry".

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Global entry works great too, includes TSA precheck, expedited customs, is good for 5 years and a few credit cards will even pay for it. Otherwise it's $100 for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Global entry works great too, includes TSA precheck, expedited customs, is good for 5 years and a few credit cards will even pay for it. Otherwise it's $100 for 5 years.
    Is Global Entry available to everyone now? I was under the impression you had to fly so many miles a year to qualify.

Is Global Entry available to everyone now? I was under the impression you had to fly so many miles a year to qualify.
    Open to anyone who wants to pay the fee and apply.

HangryHippo Guest

No mileage requirements that I'm aware of.

Open to everyone. Amex platinum and chase sapphire reserve (which has a 100k point bonus sign up right now) will both pay for it.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, like on the commercial aviation threads, but could this cause airlines to leave or cut service to OK airports?

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, like on the commercial aviation threads, but could this cause airlines to leave or cut service to OK airports?
    I can't imagine. Unless they cut to the services to the other 32 states/territories that are non compliant. Probably not good for business.

It should be pointed out also that a passport card is at this point cheaper than Oklahoma's driver's licenses.

Just a little food for thought regarding this issue and the timelines involved . . . I wonder why the dates don't match up.
    (and none of this addresses Federal facility access . . . still, I'm wondering about the timetable quoted.)

(Copied Directly from the Department of Homeland Security website):

Rumor: I need a passport to fly domestically

Fact: Until January 2018, if traveling by air, residents from ANY state are still able to use a driver’s license, or any of the various other forms of identification accepted by the Transportation Security Administration (Passport or Passport Card, Global Entry cards, U.S. military IDs, airline or airport-issued IDs, federally recognized, and tribal-issued photo IDs. See the full list on the TSA website.)

Effective January 22, 2018, if you have a driver’s license or identification card issued by a state that does not meet the requirements of the REAL ID Act, unless that state has been granted an extension, you must present an alternative form of identification acceptable to TSA in order to board a commercial domestic flight.

Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

Rumor: TSA isn't going to accept my driver's license starting on January 1, 2016

Fact: TSA will continue to accept driver’s licenses issued by all states through January 2018 and, then, will continue to accept licenses from all compliant states or noncompliant states with an extension.

(Copied Directly from the Oklahoma Department of Transportation website):

Can I use my Oklahoma driver license or ID card to board an aircraft?

Yes. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will continue to accept driver's licenses and state-issued identification cards from all jurisdictions at least until January 22, 2018.

On January 8, 2016, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced the following timetable for the implementation of the REAL ID Act for air travel:
    EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, the Department of Homeland Security will conduct outreach to educate the traveling public about the timeline below, and continue engagements with states to encourage compliance with REAL ID standards.

STARTING JULY 15, 2016, TSA, in coordination with airlines and airport stakeholders, will begin to issue web-based advisories and notifications to the traveling public.

STARTING DECEMBER 15, 2016, TSA will expand outreach at its airport checkpoints through signage, handouts, and other methods.

STARTING JANUARY 22, 2018, passengers with a driver's license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver's licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver's licenses or identification cards.

STARTING OCTOBER 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

This timetable recognizes that some states must change their laws to comply with the REAL ID Act. IT is also designed to provide an opportunity for members of the public to learn more about the implications of not having a REAL ID-compliant license, and so that individuals have an ample opportunity to replace their pre-REAL ID licenses with new compliant licenses or to obtain another acceptable form of identification.

If anyone is curious... non complaint states... (may have extensions or be under review)

Am.Samoa
    Alaska
    Arkansas
    California
    Guam
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    N. Marianas
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    N. Carolina
    N. Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Puerto Rico
    Rhode Island
    S. Carolina
    Texas
    Virginia
    Virgin Islands
    Washington

This isn't a right/left issue. Let's leave that to the politics forum.

Thread Information