Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm impressed the Tea Party developed a time machine to grab Fallon and fly back to 2007 and force the innocent Democrats and Brad Henry to pass a bill blocking the implementation of the real ID (a Bush/Patriot Act initiative). Yes, that's a more logical answer than the fact that there were privacy concerns with many people across party lines, and if you look at other states and their adoption fights and timelines (even the blue states) you'll see similar.

It did take us longer than it should have to repeal that law. But let's not make some tea party boogyman be the villain here, as much as some folks like to inject their political points.
    You need to check the whole history and who was behind the paranoia. This state is dominated by backward tea party thinking and action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You need to check the whole history and who was behind the paranoia. This state is dominated by backward tea party thinking and action.
    You do understand the tea party wasn't a thing till 2009 right? That's his entire point. Blaming this on the "tea party" is absurd, it didn't exist.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who needs their history lesson. Unless you're claiming Connie Johnson is a member of the tea party (she wrote the bill blocking the DHS implementation, and causing us to miss out on the federal grants to cover the costs, which delayed our implementation even longer). Now, the support for blocking the implementation was bipartisan (IIRC there was zero opposition, and no nay votes on the bill), and it was signed in by Henry. So again, please, tell me how the organization that started in 2009 pushed through this block in 2007? I'll be over here waiting.

And I guess this is why California and New York fought so hard against it too; those reddest of red states (I mean hey, California implemented it last year, although they messed it up, and did it wrong, so even this year there was lots of confusion, but at least they did something I guess?)

When the Real ID was introduced in 2005, the Patriot act had lost lots of it's support across the country. By 2007 the Iraq was war unpopular, and pretty much all states had active opposition to the implementation of the Real ID compliance. They've pretty much all had to be dragged kicking and screaming into implementation. Our bill made it worse, at it prohibited taking lots of actions which would have laid the groundwork for compliance. There were multiple attempts over the years to get the 2007 law repealed, but it was only recently that they finally got it passed (so shame on the legislature for taking so long there). But to minimize this down to R vs D is silly, and unneeded. I don't share the privacy concern folks have, but I don't dismiss it as simple partisan politics either. There's a lot of resistance to a national ID, and they didn't do a very good job explaining what the Real ID act was.

Putting aside the political to-and-fro, I do find it interesting that both global entry card and PIV card can be used as alternate, but TSA Pre check cannot. I had PIV card, and it seemed like TSA pre check was much harder to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Putting aside the political to-and-fro, I do find it interesting that both global entry card and PIV card can be used as alternate, but TSA Pre check cannot. I had PIV card, and it seemed like TSA pre check was much harder to obtain.
    there is no tsa precheck card is there?

Does the extension run out Oct 1st 2020, or Oct 10 2019? That's a pretty big difference.
    Either way, I'd make sure passport is up to date unless you have military or tribal ID
    The extension for Oklahoma runs out October 10, 2019.

For ALL Americans, the TSA is allowing travel through October 1, 2020 for anyone without an ID that is compliant with Real ID.

My understanding is that, after October 10, 2019, however, if you need to entire a federal facility that requires Real ID, you WILL need it. That's the hairy part that isn't seemingly answered by the news stories, but maybe I've missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    The extension for Oklahoma runs out October 10, 2019.

For ALL Americans, the TSA is allowing travel through October 1, 2020 for anyone without an ID that is compliant with Real ID.

My understanding is that, after October 10, 2019, however, if you need to entire a federal facility that requires Real ID, you WILL need it. That's the hairy part that isn't seemingly answered by the news stories, but maybe I've missed it.
    So an Oklahoma DL is OK for air travel, but not a federal courthouse?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    there is no tsa precheck card is there?
    Well, it's not actually a card, but no. TSA pre check doesn't count as REAL ID. Which is a bummer.

Well, it's not actually a card, but no. TSA pre check doesn't count as REAL ID. Which is a bummer.
    Considering that Real ID pretty much focused on, well, an ID card, it seems to make sense that programs that don’t have an ID card have problems counting as a valid ID card.

I believe the Tea Party convinced the legislature and Fallon that this was a federal deep state conspiracy to exert federal control over state rights. This, like the failure to extend Medicare, numerous ten commandment fights, unreasonable women’s rights issues, tax reductions and other of their fights have ended in lost revenue, failed court challenges, and general delays in keeping up with current needs. Welcome to the reddest of red states.
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...pliant-states/

A lot of very blue states on the list of states not Real-ID compliant.

EDit: article is outdated. Only Oregon, Oklahoma, and New Jersey are non-compliant now.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has granted the state's REAL ID extension through Sept. 18, 2020, officials with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety announced Thursday morning.

Officials said this means the federal government will continue to recognize Oklahoma driver's licenses and ID cards for flying on commercial airlines or entering federal facilities until that time.

https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...s-say/29351163

Quote Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post
    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has granted the state's REAL ID extension through Sept. 18, 2020, officials with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety announced Thursday morning.

Officials said this means the federal government will continue to recognize Oklahoma driver's licenses and ID cards for flying on commercial airlines or entering federal facilities until that time.

I had expected this. With us in the process of implementation, and with some of the roll out issues going on still in some states I'd be shocked if they wouldn't have granted the extension.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Quote Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post

Also Gov. Stitt said this is the last extension needed and they roll out next year. Seems like a good resolution to the whole situation.

Blog Entries

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – As state leaders get ready for the REAL ID Act to go into effect next year, they are releasing what the state’s compliant driver’s licenses will look like in the future.

According to the latest timeline given to the Department of Public Safety by the vendor, the project maintains its progression toward the estimated target date of April 2020 for initial rollout. Additionally, full statewide implementation will be completed by September 2020,” the state’s latest extension request read.

That’s a pretty cool design tbh

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That’s a pretty cool design tbh
    I agree! It is much better than our boring blue background right now

17. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

I like the new one.

Remember, a lot of the RealID was the back end too. Information sharing was one of the big things (R's esepcially) complained about because it shared data with Mexico and Canada. The actual physical changes to the OK ID were minimal. It was really more on the IT infrastructure side that was going to change. People weren't comfortable with sharing the info. Except the alternative was a Passport, in which case you gave up a WHOLE LOT MORE information and it was shared too. So you could gripe about it and share it, or sign the act and share it. The fight at the captial (and in a lot of state capitals) was just pandering to the constituents because this was Federal and it was going to happen whether we like it or not. And you were going to have your information shared, whether you liked it or not.

If you look waaaaaay back on this thread, we had a lot of peeing contest about opinions. I have a post that lined out the actuals from the law itself.

Is there an app to have a digital ID?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Is there an app to have a digital ID?
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/stat...076189aec.html

Coming today or tomorrow...

Looks like OK Real IDs will be available April 30th and mandatory to fly by October.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/stat...69908d75e.html

So everybody is going to have to find their birth certificate and social security card and more stuff?

Blog Entries

yep. might be easier to just get a passport. still need birth cert, but not SSC and other stuffs.

I’ve been doing my best to kind of demystify the process for friends and family:
    There’s a checklist on the OK Department of Public Safety website, but in essence you need 4 distinct forms of identification that prove lawful presence in the USA, social security number, and two that prove your current address respectively. Some TLDR options are:

1. Lawful Presence: US Passport, Birth Certificate, or one of the various legal Residency documents
    2. Social Security: Social Security card, Current W-2 or 1099 tax form, Pay Stub with SSN
    3. (x2) Address: Vehicle Title or Registration, Utility Bill, W-2 or 1099 from the previous year, various proofs of insurance for Automobile, Life, Homeowner/Renter.

A lot of people I’ve interacted with have voiced concern over proving their SSN, but there are reasonable alternatives for it. Assuming someone has left the country within the last several years, paid taxes, and has a car they have all the documentation necessary.

That being said, I see no cons to just using a passport or passport card for the convenience.

This is totally pointless when you think about how much of your information is already out there. Is so the Federal government can pretend like they dont already know everything about you while reminding you who is in control?

Talk about Security Theater.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Quote Originally Posted by Bagelhammer View Post
    I’ve been doing my best to kind of demystify the process for friends and family:
    There’s a checklist on the OK Department of Public Safety website, but in essence you need 4 distinct forms of identification that prove lawful presence in the USA, social security number, and two that prove your current address respectively. Some TLDR options are:

1. Lawful Presence: US Passport, Birth Certificate, or one of the various legal Residency documents
    2. Social Security: Social Security card, Current W-2 or 1099 tax form, Pay Stub with SSN
    3. (x2) Address: Vehicle Title or Registration, Utility Bill, W-2 or 1099 from the previous year, various proofs of insurance for Automobile, Life, Homeowner/Renter.

A lot of people I’ve interacted with have voiced concern over proving their SSN, but there are reasonable alternatives for it. Assuming someone has left the country within the last several years, paid taxes, and has a car they have all the documentation necessary.

That being said, I see no cons to just using a passport or passport card for the convenience.
    But.... but.... but.....isn't it racist and discriminatory to have to obtain lDs?

Thread Information