Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

It should be noted that the DPS now lets you schedule appointments online, in advance. It does cost $3.75, but it makes the process so much nicer. We've used it for both of my sons' written exams and the eldest's driving test. You can book an appointment for just about any of their services.

2. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

So we're still not actually making progress on this....and 8 other states aren't really either.
    https://www.ok.gov/dps/Real_ID_Enforcement.html

I dont really understand what's so difficult about making the changes here. We've been through the whole discussion about whether or not we agree with it. We've discussed WHY we disagree (although i would argue that once i pointed out what the law ACTUALLY said, there seemed to be a drastic silence in conversation. It's amazing what people decide when they actually READ the law instead of go by hear-say). But the point still stands that the federal law isn't going to change, and the list of states that are noncompliant keeps getting shorter. Which also means that the likelihood of continuing to get an extension gets smaller and smaller.

Hey, i've already got a passport, so this won't bother me at all. And i'll say again, if you are against the law, you better go get your passport now because you're going to have to have it in 6 months unless something big happens on Lincoln Blvd (and when does anything happen on Lincoln Blvd). And remember all those things you hated about the realid law (or at least you thought were part of it), well you're going to give that up plus a heck of a lot more when you get that passport. Congrats.

I know this seems like a rant, and it really is. If you disagree, im really not harping on you. My frustration is really with the legislature of Oklahoma that continues to be butt-backwards about so many things. Even when energy was skyrocketing, we still had a deficit. We're going on how many years of not doing anything but cutting hundreds of millions on budgets because we can't remove tax breaks on the companies that lobby to get people in office. Sounds a lot like the fed legislature right now too.

Did you miss the news a few months ago about the compliance law being passed? It takes time to put those procedures into effect. The federal government will keep passing extensions now that there is actual progress being made on this. They keep granting extensions to states that give its residents the option to pick which type of license they want so its a safe bet they grant at least two more years worth of extensions.

It does not take over a decade to put these procedures into effect. You are being intellectually dishonest as the legislature is. Had the leadership in the state worked with the Federal government as the 32 states not needing this extension, there would be no problem. Don't take it for granted that the Federal government will keep giving the state government more and more extensions, especially when they are doing nothing to move forward on this mandate. A passport would be a good bet with the leadership representing the state.

Am I missing something here?
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...151a2ba25.html

The Department of Public Safety said the measure will be implemented within 24 months to 30 months of the state signing a contract with a vendor.
    Oklahoma actually does something positive. No one reports on it. Go figure.....

And its intellectually dishonest to say no progress has been made on this. Its in the hands of the DPS now.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-receives-...id-extension.-heres-why-its-likely-not-enough/article/5568611
    The fact is the mandate was implemented 10 years ago. What is so unique about Oklahoma that they are still out of compliance 10 years later? Oh yeah, wasting time and resources on unconstitutional social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So we're still not actually making progress on this....and 8 other states aren't really either.
    https://www.ok.gov/dps/Real_ID_Enforcement.html

I dont really understand what's so difficult about making the changes here. ...
    Wife converted from a contract employee for the Tourism Dept. to a temporary state employee, had to fill out multiple forms for OMES for direct deposit, had to take one to the bank to get *them* to fill out parts of it, needed to be faxed or mailed to the State Treasurer's office (she works from home, not at a state building, for this assignment). Then they do a test deposit of $0.01, *then* she finally gets paid. Every single company I've worked for across the country has had *one* form to fill out by me (no bank involved), just the basic info of name, address, account info, and boom, you're done. That's emblematic of what's so difficult about OK complying with REAL ID.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Yes, at least two things. One, the fact that no vendor has been signed. Two, the fact that to my knowledge there is no current active search for one. Please read the part YOU quoted very carefully. Does it say after the department signs a contract, or after the state signs a contract? You claim the ball is in DPS's court, but that's false. If there's still any doubt, return to the article and read the sentence BEFORE the one you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Yes, at least two things. One, the fact that no vendor has been signed. Two, the fact that to my knowledge there is no current active search for one. Please read the part YOU quoted very carefully. Does it say after the department signs a contract, or after the state signs a contract? You claim the ball is in DPS's court, but that's false. If there's still any doubt, return to the article and read the sentence BEFORE the one you quoted.
    This quote from the DPS commissioner suggest otherwise.
    “There have been many questions recently about Oklahoma’s status regarding REAL ID. DPS is actively working towards making Oklahoma REAL ID compliant and will use this time to gain compliance with the requirement. We strongly appreciate Governor Fallin’s leadership in signing REAL ID into law,” DPS Commissioner Michael C. Thompson said.
    If you want to say Fallin is holding things back, I'll buy that argument. She is ultimately responsible for the enforcement of the law and the agencies. Legislatively, the DPS has everything they need to make this happen. The DPS would be signing the contract, that's how bureaucracy works. They may have already hired a consulting agency to help them implement this for all we know. The daily operations of a government agency is pretty boring to the average person and not likely to be reported on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    http://newsok.com/oklahoma-receives-...id-extension.-heres-why-its-likely-not-enough/article/5568611
    The fact is the mandate was implemented 10 years ago. What is so unique about Oklahoma that they are still out of compliance 10 years later? Oh yeah, wasting time and resources on unconstitutional social issues.
    http://kfor.com/2017/10/19/oklahoma-...ntil-oct-2018/

At least we're good at kicking the can down the road indefinitely.

For any fellow Choctaw Nation members, the tribe will start issuing a new CDIB/Membership/Photo ID card in January 2018 that will be REAL ID compliant.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    That's my problem...yeah they say they are finally moving on it at the capital, but only in words. No actions show that they actually are DOING anything. In order to sign with a vendor, first you have to have defined the requirements and started an active search. 10 years after the federal law was past, and we still dont have that. Sort of like the Republicans in Congress voting down the ACA for 7 years but not actually spending any of that time coming up with an alternative.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76611...c_nGzp8xPoSrWI
    Interesting article from NPR. Does anyone know what the status is with REAL ID for Oklahoma? Last I saw, it was still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/76611...c_nGzp8xPoSrWI
    Interesting article from NPR. Does anyone know what the status is with REAL ID for Oklahoma? Last I saw, it was still a work in progress.
    From last night's news

https://kfor.com/2019/10/01/oklahoma...on-compliance/

this reminds me... i need to get my passport renewed...

"Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States."

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Does the extension run out Oct 1st 2020, or Oct 10 2019? That's a pretty big difference.
    Either way, I'd make sure passport is up to date unless you have military or tribal ID

"For people who don't have a passport and are waiting to fly domestically, we know this is nail biting for them. We don't like it either, but we're hopeful we'll get that extension, and we're hopeful we'll hear about it any day now," Stewart said."
    From above KFOR report. Fun times at the airport if extension not granted in time.

David Ostrowe - Gov. Stitt's Sec'y of Digital Transformation & Administration - is actively working on making the Oklahoma DL RealID-compliant, according to this August 2019 piece. https://kfor.com/2019/08/06/another-...or-oklahomans/

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    David Ostrowe - Gov. Stitt's Sec'y of Digital Transformation & Administration - is actively working on making the Oklahoma DL RealID-compliant, according to this August 2019 piece. https://kfor.com/2019/08/06/another-...or-oklahomans/
    That piece also mentioned that Homeland security says they have not gotten the extension, even though Stitt's office says they were told that the extension is granted.
    We are one of the last states to get this done. Why?
    Now this poor guy Ostrowe wants to beta test Mobile ID, go live in April 2020 and then get entire state enrolled by October 2020? Fun.

Blog Entries

That piece also mentioned that Homeland security says they have not gotten the extension, even though Stitt's office says they were told that the extension is granted.
    We are one of the last states to get this done. Why?
    Now this poor guy Ostrowe wants to beta test Mobile ID, go live in April 2020 and then get entire state enrolled by October 2020? Fun.
    I believe the Tea Party convinced the legislature and Fallon that this was a federal deep state conspiracy to exert federal control over state rights. This, like the failure to extend Medicare, numerous ten commandment fights, unreasonable women’s rights issues, tax reductions and other of their fights have ended in lost revenue, failed court challenges, and general delays in keeping up with current needs. Welcome to the reddest of red states.

Does the extension run out Oct 1st 2020, or Oct 10 2019? That's a pretty big difference.
    Either way, I'd make sure passport is up to date unless you have military or tribal ID
    Oct 10 2019 is when our current extension runs out. Were we to get another extension it's essentially "last-call". There will be no more extensions granted beyond 10/1/2020

Thank god ive got a global entry card

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I believe the Tea Party convinced the legislature and Fallon that this was a federal deep state conspiracy to exert federal control over state rights. This, like the failure to extend Medicare, numerous ten commandment fights, unreasonable women’s rights issues, tax reductions and other of their fights have ended in lost revenue, failed court challenges, and general delays in keeping up with current needs. Welcome to the reddest of red states.
    I'm impressed the Tea Party developed a time machine to grab Fallon and fly back to 2007 and force the innocent Democrats and Brad Henry to pass a bill blocking the implementation of the real ID (a Bush/Patriot Act initiative). Yes, that's a more logical answer than the fact that there were privacy concerns with many people across party lines, and if you look at other states and their adoption fights and timelines (even the blue states) you'll see similar.

It did take us longer than it should have to repeal that law. But let's not make some tea party boogyman be the villain here, as much as some folks like to inject their political points.

Thread Information