Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Here's a scenario that I recently found out.

Friend of mine travels for work, he works at the corporate HQ of a large local company with stores all over the US and flies to stores all over the country to do his job. (I'm sure you can guess what company)

He does not have a passport and he cannot get one because he owes a certain amount of child support, I think he said over 5 or 6k. I know he said his child support payments now come directly out of his check but he still has a balance.

He will probably lose his job if he can't fly to his job sites anymore and because of this ordeal, his child support debt will keep adding up and that child won't be getting that money each month. Very much a lose/lose situation because Oklahoma isn't compliant with RealID.

It's worth finding out what exactly it was that made Oklahoma's legislature so paranoid.

Well, the bill that is going to be heard on the floor next week would give Oklahoman's a choice on choosing the real ID or not, so if someone is that paranoid and chooses not to be able to fly or enter a federal facility or military base, they can do so.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I wish one of the articles would elaborate on what the proposed changes at the state level are that bring us into compliance. I'd like to see it spelled out as to where we were lacking (beyond the rhetoric of big brother b.s.).
    I know of a couple... the state will have to ensure a certain level of security at any place an ID is issued, and there is special training that anyone who issues an ID will have to undergo in order to recognize fraudulent documents. I have no problems with either of these, but I expect we'll have to raise license fees (again) to offset the increased costs.

Otherwise, we actually comply with most of the ID requirements and record keeping rules already.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Why do you have such a hardon for this? You have whined and cried about anyone disagreeing with you this whole thread. Your basic argument is, "It's gonna happen anyway so you might as well get over it." That's never a good reason to be okay with something. Do you have some vested interest in this or something? Other than being afraid that Oklahoma is going to look backwards to the rest of the counrty. That's too often a motivator around here and it's a bad one.
    Why the hostility? Seems more than a bit gratuitous. Aren't we all here to discuss matters that concern Oklahoma City in specific and Oklahoma in general? I wouldn't think wondering about the details of this decision, whether you agree with it or not, would be invalid discussion material. In fact I would go so far as to suggest that's the entire reason, lock stock and barrel, for this forum to even exist. Some of the early reports had no information at all other than "they've agreed to resolve the issues". How is the question "How?" NOT relevant? Some later reports seemed to indicate what Jerry posted...there will be multiple forms of driver's license or state ID, and if you really think the REAL ID is the worst violation of privacy to ever happen, you'll be free to opt out, with all the pros and cons that come with that.

I would like more details myself. I would REALLY like more details on this various different kinds of driver's license idea, if that's the way it is going to turn out. I would REALLY like to know what the proposed cost of each tier would be. Will you be able to carry both types simultaneously? Or are the people who just renewed going to be expected to pay again already?

Looks like there are a lot of questions that need answering, and we probably don;t even have all the questions yet. It's a nice day, go outside and take a walk around the block and settle down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Why do you have such a hardon for this? You have whined and cried about anyone disagreeing with you this whole thread. Your basic argument is, "It's gonna happen anyway so you might as well get over it." That's never a good reason to be okay with something. Do you have some vested interest in this or something? Other than being afraid that Oklahoma is going to look backwards to the rest of the counrty. That's too often a motivator around here and it's a bad one.
    It doesn't matter at this point. Oklahoma will always be backwards. We are pretty much on the Mount Rushmore of obesity, stupidity, religion overkill, guns, trucks, red dirt, ....

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    It doesn't matter at this point. Oklahoma will always be backwards. We are pretty much on the Mount Rushmore of obesity, stupidity, religion overkill, guns, trucks, red dirt, ....
    couldnt agree more.

Then why even be here? No one's forcing you to live here. If you feel that negatively about Oklahomans, then find a place that fits more with your world view. I was born and raised here and guns, trucks, red dirt, religion are all part of Oklahoma. Too many on here are motivated by how we look to those in other states. Worrying about how uncool you believe other people are going to think you are is something an 8th grader worries about.

This is just BS. We have a great business environment. Portland was just a couple weeks ago bragging about their first openly transgendered police officer. Welcome to OKC 20 years ago. Yeah, plenty of religion, but I'm not religious and it doesn't get in my face. Red dirt? Oh no! One of the best IT sectors in the country (part of the IT triangle). I'm not the leave it or love it type but honestly if somebody wants to spew this stuff, then why even come here?

10. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

OK at first i thought i was nuts, but both posts i made to this forum yesterday seem to have disappeared. One here and one about another topic. Was there something going on yesterday morning?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    OK at first i thought i was nuts, but both posts i made to this forum yesterday seem to have disappeared. One here and one about another topic. Was there something going on yesterday morning?
    The site was down for a bit yesterday, and when it came back, it seemed like posts from yesterday morning were lost...

When the site was down, there was an error about database problems. The database that stores all of the forum posts probably had to be rolled back to an earlier snapshot to restore service.

The Real ID law had previously passed both houses and Governor Fallin signed it into law this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/GovMaryFallin/st...99759425961984

I just signed into law the first bill of the 2017 Legislative Session! #RealID #HB1845 #OKLeg

Here is the law on the OK Legislature site if anyone is curious to go digging into it: http://www.oklegislature.gov/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=HB1845

Does anyone know how this will work with people who have a driver's license that doesn't expire for a while? Mine is good until 2019 and I'm assuming that by next year I won't be able to use it for flying.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Does anyone know how this will work with people who have a driver's license that doesn't expire for a while? Mine is good until 2019 and I'm assuming that by next year I won't be able to use it for flying.
    That's been my question, and it hasn't been firmly answered but all signs point to "pony up the new full amount for a renewal or carry your passport".

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It will take a couple of years to put all the measures into place, but now that Oklahoma is making an effort to get into compliance, the federal government is more likely to give another extension. So you may be fine with your license.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    That's been my question, and it hasn't been firmly answered but all signs point to "pony up the new full amount for a renewal or carry your passport".
    That's not a problem for me, LOL. I'm the free license age bracket.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

i believe you are able to go get a new one taken (have to pay for it) once the new system is all in place, but that the expiration date would just be what it was still. So just like if it's stolen/lost, you keep the same date, you just pay for a new piece of plastic. Far cheaper and less of a pain than getting a passport. I'd call your tag office to make sure on that once the rules have a chance to get settled in. Mine's up in July, so we'll see where they stand then.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Heard this morning on NPR that you will get the licenses from a central hub instead of a tag agency. Basically you have to prove who you are again then they mail you the new ID.

I forsee some long lines in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Heard this morning on NPR that you will get the licenses from a central hub instead of a tag agency. Basically you have to prove who you are again then they mail you the new ID.

I forsee some long lines in the future.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma’s request for Real ID Act extension denied

Shawn Ashley: Well the federal REAL ID Act was passed back in 2005, but in 2007 the Oklahoma legislature decided that Oklahoma was not going to comply with it and passed a law prohibiting compliance. Much of the reasoning behind that law had to do with privacy concerns, that the information collected for our drivers licenses would be shared with other states, with the federal government and, ultimately, perhaps even foreign countries. Those concerns remained and even were a part of the discussions regarding House Bill 1845, which the governor did sign. Now that that bill has been signed, Oklahomans will not immediately get a REAL ID compliant license. Instead, what will happen is, sometime over the next several months, the Department of Public Safety will contract with a provider to do that work. What’s going to happen is our licenses are going to be centrally issued. Rather than getting them at your Department of Motor Vehicles, where you go to renew your tag and do things like that, it will be mailed to you from a central secure location. Additionally, as Senator Ralph Shortey, for one, warned on the Senate floor, for example, there will probably be some lines in that process. Like we have to do when we get our first driver's license now when we’re 16 years old, you’re going to have prove all over again who you are. So this process will take a little longer and then you will receive your license in the mail. Probably the process will begin in 2018.

Source:http://kgou.org/post/week-capitol-re...-credit-rating

yeah... the last time i went to the dmv was when i first got my license. that experience was enough for one lifetime. in fact, waiting in that forsaken line felt like a lifetime. i really, REALLY hope it does not turn out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    yeah... the last time i went to the dmv was when i first got my license. that experience was enough for one lifetime. in fact, waiting in that forsaken line felt like a lifetime. i really, REALLY hope it does not turn out this way.
    The relevant section of the bill -

a.Application for an original REAL ID Compliant or REAL
    ID Noncompliant Driver License or Identification Card
    shall be made to the Department of Public Safety.

b. Department of Public Safety employees shall perform
    all document recognition and other requirements needed
    for approval of an original REAL ID Compliant or REAL
    application.

c. Upon approval of an original REAL ID Compliant or REAL
    application, the applicant may take the approved
    application document to a motor license agent to
    receive a temporary driver license or identification
    card.

d. The motor license agent shall process the approved
    REAL ID Compliant or REAL ID Noncompliant Driver
    License or Identification Card application and upon
    payment shall provide the applicant a temporary driver
    license or identification card. A temporary driver
    license or identification card shall afford the holder
    the privileges otherwise granted by the specific class
    of driver license or identification card for the
    period of time listed on the temporary driver license
    or identification card or the period of time prior to
    the applicant receiving a REAL ID Compliant or REAL ID
    Noncompliant Driver License or Identification Card,
    whichever time period is shorter.
    It's annoying, but no more so than getting a passport. The most annoying thing is having to go two places.

I've had to go through more hoops to get my daughter enrolled in Pre-K at Deer Creek.

Thread Information