Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Once upon a time, I got married. I believed it was the whole "til death do us part" thing. Didn't really turn out that way.

Waaaaaay back in High School, I took an interest in Psychology, and pondered making it my career. Didn't really turn out that way.

I could go on and on with so many examples, but the point is something you really should have learned on your own by now...**** happens. The best laid plans of mice and men, and all that. And really, if you believed KD was going to stay in OKC until the heat death of the universe, that's on you, pal. Not him. And this constant need to belittle him? That's also on you.
    Do you like the way how he stiffed his teammates for years after his decision ? Lebron had class when he left Miami by taking Wade and Bosh out to dinner and telling them of his decision. Durant ? He left his friends for years high and dry. Still hasn't spoke to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Do you like the way how he stiffed his teammates for years after his decision ? Lebron had class when he left Miami by taking Wade and Bosh out to dinner and telling them of his decision. Durant ? He left his friends for years high and dry. Still hasn't spoke to them.

Meh. People need to move on. If you're really and deeply upset about Durant, you need to get a life. Sorry, but it needs to be said. Unless he was your friend and ran over your dog on the way out, get the heck over it and grow up. I mean, it's fun from a fanboy standpoint to hate on him now that he's playing for an opposing team, but that's as far as it gets. It's the equivalent of booing Hulk Hogan when he joined the NWO and became Hollywood Hogan. It's pro sports and it's a show. They're paid to play, and none of them take anything personally. If you asked me if I planned to leave my job anytime soon, I'd say no. But if the right opportunity came up tomorrow, I'd take it. Because I'm not an idiot. I don't expect Durant to be one either.

So boo him as the villain? Sure. I could see that with Lebron too. But if Durant returned in 5 years and got us a championship, I'd be right there cheering him during the parade.

Blog Entries

My concern with K. D. was his obvious friendship with D. Green who (rumored) visited K. D. one night after a game here in the city.

K.D's the same guy who got on board against Thabo Sefolosha bringing Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls) into the Thunder's locker room; who Kendrick Perkins referred to as that thing, 'oh, they just let you bring any old thing into the locker room.'.

Yet, K.D. invited Draymond Green into his condo after a Thunder game against the Warriors.

You have to set aside those friendships during the playoffs; it creates doubt and suspicion as to your intentions.

By the way, never did see K. D. stand up for Steven Adams when Green kicked him in the private area both times. Durant stood around looking dumbfounded in disbelief.

5. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Not sure how you can question KDs effort. He played the best defense of his career in that series. He was unbelievable.
    Unfortunately for the Thunder, you have to play on both ends of the court. I don't think it is unreasonable to question the fact that he shot worse from 3 than Andre Roberson in the GS series.

According to Stephen A. Smith, he thinks that it was a jab at OKC. Me personally, I don't really care. I'm just ready to see what the team looks like now in a real meaningful game.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Unfortunately for the Thunder, you have to play on both ends of the court. I don't think it is unreasonable to question the fact that he shot worse from 3 than Andre Roberson in the GS series.
    So, you think he was trying really hard on defense, but missing threes on purpose? That doesn't really make sense. Is KD's offense a reason OKC didn't advance? Yes. Is it troublesome that he was friendly with Warriors players? Sure. But... Is there any evidence he tanked on purpose? Not at all.

Creating conspiracy theories by re-interpreting past events is easy to do, but that doesn't make any of it true. No one suggested that KD wasn't doing everything to win when we were actually playing the Warriors... and there's a reason. KD was working his butt off to win.

Now, please quit making me defend KD! I'm trying to make him the villain. lol

So, you think he was trying really hard on defense, but missing threes on purpose? That doesn't really make sense. Is KD's offense a reason OKC didn't advance? Yes. Is it troublesome that he was friendly with Warriors players? Sure. But... Is there any evidence he tanked on purpose? Not at all.

Creating conspiracy theories by re-interpreting past events is easy to do, but that doesn't make any of it true. No one suggested that KD wasn't doing everything to win when we were actually playing the Warriors... and there's a reason. KD was working his butt off to win.

And it honestly wouldn't make sense for him to tank the series. Fans take the interteam rivalries more seriously than the players do. At the end of the day, no matter what team they're playing for, they're working for the NBA. Tanking that series would cost him much more in the long term career wise. There's no upside. If the Thunder had won that series thanks to his playing, he wouldn't have been seen as a enemy going to LA. Just a bigger superstar.

9. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

I'm not saying KD intentionally tanked the series, but that it is possible he wasn't mentally stable because he was conflicted. Defense is more about effort and KD showed the effort. Offense is more about confidence. KD shot 29% from 3 in that series.
    I question his mental toughness more than anything. In the Olympics he said he was more relaxed because he didn't care if he won. The dude is not a lead dog so he went somewhere where he could ride the coat tails of some players who were mentally tough.

I agree and, yeah, KD pretty much conceded that he doesn't want to be the leader of an organization/team because of the pressure. He wants to be "one of the guys." And that's his perogative, but I can't ever imagine any other superstar saying something that weak.

Blog Entries

. . . or getting his butt worked.

12. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

I agree and, yeah, KD pretty much conceded that he doesn't want to be the leader of an organization/team because of the pressure. He wants to be "one of the guys." And that's his perogative, but I can't ever imagine any other superstar saying something that weak.
    Most talented role player of all time.

If he really wanted to slam OKC, he would have a full page ad with nothing but a huge middle finger on it and the caption saying F**k you OKC. It would have been well earned too.

Durant?.....Durant?...Name sounds familiar...Who was he again?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Bad guy in the movie Darkman.

16. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

He was the vice president of the Union Pacific Railroad.

She's the Secretary of State.

18. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    ...It would have been well earned too.
    How so, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    He was the vice president of the Union Pacific Railroad.
    We meet again, Mr. Bohannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    According to Stephen A. Smith, he thinks that it was a jab at OKC. Me personally, I don't really care. I'm just ready to see what the team looks like now in a real meaningful game.
    It wasn't a jab at OKC (as fans or city) it was a jab at the Thunder. KD was saying that the Thunder coaches didn't teach him an all around game.

21. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

^^^^^^^^
    They spent 8 years trying to build their offense around catering to KD and his style of play. While the raw skill he and Russ possess (and Harden when he was here, and eventually Serge) allowed them to simply "out-athlete" most teams, they often paid a heavy price when they met disciplined opponents.

The fact of the matter is that the entire organization walked on eggshells and revolved around feeding him, getting him touches, making him happy, despite the fact that he didn't really work very hard without the ball, pouted when he couldn't get open, and rarely thought much about using his own double teams to make assists himself.

When he got passive or frustrated (which happened often) the wheels fell off. If he himself had committed to team play the rest would have fallen into place. Instead everyone (himself included) waited around for that magic moment when he would choose to lead and to make his TEAM better. It never came, save the period when Russ was hurt and KD really had no choice but to lead. I wish we'd seen that effort, toughness and resolve from him the rest of the time that he was here.

This is a better situation for him now because he doesn't HAVE to produce. He doesn't HAVE to lead. He's said so himself. And honestly, I suspect Russ and the Thunder will now shock the hell out of everybody and play much more disciplined, team-oriented hoop themselves. People will call it a transformation in Russ' game, but the reality of it is that it will happen because he, the rest of the team and organization will no longer be fretting about keeping KD happy. They can just hoop.

I actually don't agree that the Thunder would have been better with a more "team oriented" approach. Everyone idolizes the way the Warriors and the Spurs played with constant ball movement, but they had the personnel for those types of offense. When you're swinging the ball to Danny Green or Klay Thompson that offense works... but not as much when you're swinging it to Andre Roberson or Serge Ibaka. OKC's offense has been absolutely off-the-charts good in recent years. The only problem, in my opinion, was just (a) a lack of offensive players (see Derek Fisher getting 35 minutes in a WCF game 6) and (b) some late-game stalls where KD and Russ waited to get into their offense too long and thus resulting in a stagnant offense that was not the norm. In short, OKC's offense was wise to have high usage rates for KD and Russ because they're really good offensive players. But, it also makes sense for KD to change his game to fit with Golden State's team. Or, a better example, is the Spurs who have abandoned their pass-happy offense for a slower, more isolation heavy offense as their personnel has changed. There is no one right way to play and I don't think these criticisms of KDs game or approach in OKC are on-base.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^
    They spent 8 years trying to build their offense around catering to KD and his style of play. While the raw skill he and Russ possess (and Harden when he was here, and eventually Serge) allowed them to simply "out-athlete" most teams, they often paid a heavy price when they met disciplined opponents.

The fact of the matter is that the entire organization walked on eggshells and revolved around feeding him, getting him touches, making him happy, despite the fact that he didn't really work very hard without the ball, pouted when he couldn't get open, and rarely thought much about using his own double teams to make assists himself.

When he got passive or frustrated (which happened often) the wheels fell off. If he himself had committed to team play the rest would have fallen into place. Instead everyone (himself included) waited around for that magic moment when he would choose to lead and to make his TEAM better. It never came, save the period when Russ was hurt and KD really had no choice but to lead. I wish we'd seen that effort, toughness and resolve from him the rest of the time that he was here.

This is a better situation for him now because he doesn't HAVE to produce. He doesn't HAVE to lead. He's said so himself. And honestly, I suspect Russ and the Thunder will now shock the hell out of everybody and play much more disciplined, team-oriented hoop themselves. People will call it a transformation in Russ' game, but the reality of it is that it will happen because he, the rest of the team and organization will no longer be fretting about keeping KD happy. They can just hoop.
    I agree completely, KD wanted to call himself a leader but he just doesn't have that in him.

I guess I had rose colored blinders on, because I never got that impression of him.

25. Default Re: Durant really SLAMS Oklahoma City basketball

^^^^^^^^
    I think we all did, initially. We recognized KD's good deeds in the community, his penchant for saying the things that he knew would make us happy, and most of all his undeniable, generational size/shooting skill combo, so we so easily assumed that HE was the dude. Everyone told us that, too. Easy to buy into it. But a few years ago - documented on this forum - I started to switch to the idea that Russ could/should be and effectively WAS the leader of that team, despite what everyone said, and despite what we all *wanted* to happen.

It was only after watching many, many games in person and on TV (but especially in person, since you can more easily isolate and analyze a player) that I started to feel like his passivity and poutiness was a bit of a dark cloud over the court more often than it was not. Over the years I have taken lots of heat when I pointed it out (including here). But it is true. He's not a leader, he never actually WANTED to be a leader (again, he has freely admitted this since leaving). And having a league, an organization and a fanbase subconsciously forcing it on him got too heavy for him, I think.

Again, had we all - including KD himself - understood that he wasn't the next MJ but instead the next - much taller - Ray Allen, we all would have been better off. By his nature he is a role player. Maybe the most talented role player that ever played the game, but nevertheless a role player. THAT is why winning with him, building a championship TEAM around him (and especially his role player game), was harder than it should be. And that is why he feels so much more at home at Golden State. Oh, and not having his hanger-on family and his agent and Nike in his ear, tearing down his present situation, also helps.

Thread Information