Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bass Pro to buy Cabela's

Default Bass Pro to buy Cabela's

http://www.businessinsider.com/bass-...abelas-2016-10

If true, I don't see how both OKC stores could possibly remain open......

I should have probably put this in the retail forum. My apologies.

Default Re: Bass Pro to buy Cabela's

It sounds like they are going to keep the Cabela's brand, so I would be surprised if it has any effect on our OKC stores.

Agreed. Each brand has its own set of unique followers for the most part. Neither seem to have any shortage of business.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs View Post
    Agreed. Each brand has its own set of unique followers for the most part. Neither seem to have any shortage of business.
    I, for one, hope Cabela's doesn't suffer as a result. I was in both recently and found Cabela's to be substantially superior for outdoors folks. BPS was marginal. BPS seems like more of a Bricktown "attraction" than a serious outdoor supplier (at least in terms of hunting gear).

It is pretty well known up here that the most attractive part of the company isn't really the Cabela's retailer, but instead their credit card business. I am sure most of the stores will stay open b/c of the brand loyalty and pure sunk investments in the RE.

It doesn't matter to OKC folk, but Cabela's is unique that its HQ was in a town of 8000 in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. They employ 2000 there, if(when) those jobs leave Sidney, NE will be a modern ghost town.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNebraska View Post
    It is pretty well known up here that the most attractive part of the company isn't really the Cabela's retailer, but instead their credit card business. I am sure most of the stores will stay open b/c of the brand loyalty and pure sunk investments in the RE.

It doesn't matter to OKC folk, but Cabela's is unique that its HQ was in a town of 8000 in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. They employ 2000 there, if(when) those jobs leave Sidney, NE will be a modern ghost town.
    same goes for many of Cabela's locations. here in the Northeast, there are a number of Cabela's where I just scratch my head and wonder why they located such massive stores in such remote locations. huge tax breaks are part of it, i'm sure.

I agree they'll probably keep both locations. Cabela's has a brand value, as does Bass Pro. Both stores, while having some similarities, have different executions. Bass pro has always felt more "touristy" to me, while Cabela's more utilitarian. Plus, their used gun collection is impressive, and I'd hate to see that go away.

What I do expect is we may start seeing Cabela's and Bass Pro branded products carried at both chains (or some of them merging/getting eliminated).

Thread Information