Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Buy For Less

Default Re: Buy For Less

Besides the Pruett`s beliefs....

Uptown always sold beer before the laws changed in 2018 and now they're throwing their stores back to Probition era with no American Express and having to sign on checkouts for grocery runs for less than $40.....f that...

Homeland...here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm going to have to check out the may & britton location again soon... i've always liked their meat counter and am curious if they're going to pare down their selection.
    Are you talking about Homeland or Uptown? One thing I like about Homeland is they seem to always have dry-aged beef ready to sell, whereas Uptown's was always in a constant state of aging. I was rarely able to get a dry-aged steak cut at Uptown.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Are you talking about Homeland or Uptown? One thing I like about Homeland is they seem to always have dry-aged beef ready to sell, whereas Uptown's was always in a constant state of aging. I was rarely able to get a dry-aged steak cut at Uptown.
    i was referring to uptown. i'm not into dry-aged beef, but could have sworn i've seen it each time i've visited uptown. it's far out of the way for me, so i've only been a handful of times... i may have just caught them on the right days. i don't think that the quality of their beef is necessarily better than that of your average supermarket... it just seemed to me that they offered extra thick steaks and several bone-in options.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i was referring to uptown. i'm not into dry-aged beef, but could have sworn i've seen it each time i've visited uptown. it's far out of the way for me, so i've only been a handful of times... i may have just caught them on the right days. i don't think that the quality of their beef is necessarily better than that of your average supermarket... it just seemed to me that they offered extra thick steaks and several bone-in options.
    Yeah they seem to always have some in the aging cabinet, but it's rarely available to cut and sell. They sometimes cut them and have them in the butcher counter, but I like to get them cut thicker. I like the guys at the meat counter at the Village Uptown, but their prime prices are a little much. They typically have full plate beef ribs when I ask for them, too.

Oh really they the the beef ribs. I'll have to check the Edmond store. I had a meat company order some for me this past week. Not sure what full plate beef ribs are compared to bone in short ribs. Either way, I love beef ribs. Bone in meat is getting hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Oh really they the the beef ribs. I'll have to check the Edmond store. I had a meat company order some for me this past week. Not sure what full plate beef ribs are compared to bone in short ribs. Either way, I love beef ribs. Bone in meat is getting hard to find.
    Generally, beef ribs are either back ribs or plate ribs. The back ribs tend to have less meat because the butchers try to leave as much as possible on the ribeye. The plate ribs are meatier, generally. Costco also tends to have them in stock.

Ok thanks. I've not been going into stores much due to covid concerns. Costco seems always busy since they opened. With covid I've not been in since March. Anyone know if they do curbside pickup. I've too far out for grocery delivery. Well not far out just no in the right zip code

Ok thanks. I've not been going into stores much due to covid concerns. Costco seems always busy since they opened. With covid I've not been in since March. Anyone know if they do curbside pickup. I've too far out for grocery delivery. Well not far out just no in the right zip code
    I believe both stores offer curbside pickup.

I actually feel safer at Costco than any other store we visit. They have good PPE available, sanitize their carts as they bring them in from the parking lot and the store is huge with wide aisles. Checkout lanes are well marked for social distancing and there are extensive plexi-glass screens separating customers from cashiers.

The deli/meat/bakery area is the only one that really gets congested, and even there, it's just a matter of keeping situational awareness to stay socially distanced.

Still, we do limit our visits because when you are older and/or high risk, you cannot be too careful.

I use the Senior Hour, 9AM, at Costco.

I went to the Uptown Market @ May & Britton awhile ago. I arrived at 7:10 PM. There were only a few cars in the parking lot.

I saw only 1 customer at the check out when I walked in. 1 person in the produce dept.

No employee at the meat counter. I had to wait 5 minutes until a stocker came by, asked him to see if anyone was working there (meat counter was not closed, it was full of the usual meat choices stock). He went in the back, came back and said they'd be up in a few minutes. Guy finally comes to the meat counter about 3 minutes later and took my order.

Went I went to the check out, I was the only customer there.

Employees seemed dejected, none happy. None surly or anything like that, just a dead feeling store.

I don't know, but I'll venture a guess that some, or more, of the employees left by one means or another, as well as customers.

That store should be a gold mind, so to speak, and it seems that Pruett's is going to run it into the ground. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I went to the Uptown Market @ May & Britton awhile ago. I arrived at 7:10 PM. There were only a few cars in the parking lot.

I saw only 1 customer at the check out when I walked in. 1 person in the produce dept.

No employee at the meat counter. I had to wait 5 minutes until a stocker came by, asked him to see if anyone was working there (meat counter was not closed, it was full of the usual meat choices stock). He went in the back, came back and said they'd be up in a few minutes. Guy finally comes to the meat counter about 3 minutes later and took my order.

Employees seemed dejected, none happy. None surly or anything like that, just a dead feeling store.

I don't know, but I'll venture a guess that some, or more, of the employees left by one means or another, as well as customers.

That store should be a gold mind, so to speak, and it seems that Pruett's is going to run it into the ground. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.
    Major difference from when we were regulars there, sad to see it. Meat counter won't grind meat or do anything else other than take meat out from the display after about 6:00 or so, they've already cleaned their equipment, but any time we've been there in the evening, there was always a meat guy there ready to help.

The stockers/cashiers/baggers were always friendly, seemed to like doing their jobs (for the most part ), chatted, etc.

Guessing it won't be run into the ground, but may end up becoming a Cash $aver like someone upthread said, or just another run-of-the-mill grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post

I had to do some grocery shopping for dinner yesterday after work and pulled into Uptown's parking lot by force of habit (I live about 2 blocks from it). I would have gone in and done my shopping, but I had beer on the list, so I didn't even go in. I don't even know if I'll go back very often since Homeland has been just fine as a replacement. They even carry stuff for my grill, like pellets (and pellet grills!), so that will save me a trip to a second store for that stuff, when I need it.

I am very surprised by Pruett’s handling of this so far. Seems very classic in over your head syndrome. They are a very conservative family. Not sure how well their beliefs translate to a high end urban market compared to their typical rural stores.

I was informed Pruetts nearly doubled the bid from the standing offer for the Uptown’s and the NW Expressway location. An out of state company had bid a fair price but maybe a bit undervalued because this company hasnÂ’t operated stores quite like the Uptown locations before. The NW Expressway store was more in their wheelhouse.

Then Pruetts stepped in nearly doubling that companies offer. Remember a lot of smaller grocery chains are flush with cash right now. The pandemic has been the best thing for the grocery industry possibly ever.

The previous company that had bid is currently negotiating for the other 4 Buy for Less locations but are more interested in the property and the buildings than the actual grocery business at this time.

i can confirm that buy for less has been sold and is currently operated by la michoacana supermarket based out of dallas, tx.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC2017 View Post
    i can confirm that buy for less has been sold and is currently operated by la michoacana supermarket based out of dallas, tx.
    They're actually based out of Houston according to the press release detailing the sale...from mid-December.

But thank you for breaking this news.

sh*#, you're absolutely right . good call.

it was right there in front of me all along...

https://oklahoman.com/article/567851...own-operations

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    They're actually based out of Houston according to the press release detailing the sale...from mid-December.

But thank you for breaking this news.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC2017 View Post
    sh*#, you're absolutely right . good call.

it was right there in front of me all along...

https://oklahoman.com/article/567851...own-operations
    Hey...we can't all be Pete

#onlyonePeteB

Been a regular Uptown customer since they opened, pretty much buy the same groceries like clockwork every two weeks. My grocery bill total has gone up significantly. One fine example, Wright's bacon which we always buy sold for $9.99 prior to the sale and has now skyrocketed to $16. Prices all across the place have gone up significantly. It's really awful, and many in my neighborhood have expressed their displeasure and have been shopping elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Been a regular Uptown customer since they opened, pretty much buy the same groceries like clockwork every two weeks. My grocery bill total has gone up significantly. One fine example, Wright's bacon which we always buy sold for $9.99 prior to the sale and has now skyrocketed to $16. Prices all across the place have gone up significantly. It's really awful, and many in my neighborhood have expressed their displeasure and have been shopping elsewhere.
    $16!! That is ridiculous, sucks to see such a great building/location go to a company who has no clue how to run a grocery store in a major metro area. Charging that in a town where you are the only option is one thing, but when Homeland is next door and charges $6-7 less for the same product is just a joke.

I'm having fun learning where Homeland keeps everything I used to buy at Uptown. It doesn't come in the same order (of zipping through the store from one end to the other). It's going to take me time to adjust. Homeland's self checkout is a joke, but other than that, I have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I'm having fun learning where Homeland keeps everything I used to buy at Uptown. It doesn't come in the same order (of zipping through the store from one end to the other). It's going to take me time to adjust. Homeland's self checkout is a joke, but other than that, I have no issues.
    Homeland now has Charmin toilet paper and Bounty paper towels in stock again. That makes it very unlikely I'll have any need to go back to Uptown again. They are also soon opening up a coffee and ice cream shop in the store which could be interesting. They have had major rearrangements of products in the store the last few years so finding various items can be a challenge at times.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Homeland now has Charmin toilet paper and Bounty paper towels in stock again. That makes it very unlikely I'll have any need to go back to Uptown again. They are also soon opening up a coffee and ice cream shop in the store which could be interesting. They have had major rearrangements of products in the store the last few years so finding various items can be a challenge at times.
    Yeah, last paper towel rolls I purchased was a brand I've never heard of..Fiora, or something like that.

I've seen the massive black tarp hanging down over what used to be pretty much their employee cafeteria. Guessing that's where the remodel is.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yeah, last paper towel rolls I purchased was a brand I've never heard of..Fiora, or something like that.

I've seen the massive black tarp hanging down over what used to be pretty much their employee cafeteria. Guessing that's where the remodel is.
    Fiora sucks, the perforations are barely there, so glad the HL on 18th got Bounty back in stock a while back.

Glad we stopped going to Uptown before the slide downhill started, left with halfway decent memories rather than a last trip of "Seriously, they don't have this or that or ......, arggh!"

Thread Information