Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buy For Less

Default Re: Buy For Less

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    It does have a stupid layout, at least they hand out maps if you want
    Maps? Are you for real? If a store has to hand out maps, that's a pretty good indicator they have a bad design. Kind of like when you visit a website and the first thing you see is instructions on how to use the site. That's and indicator of bad design.

Design things well and then there's no need for instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Design things well and then there's no need for instruction.
    I'm going disagree with this principle behind this statement. If you have a standard set for something, but there is a better way to do it, you'll often need to acclimatize people to the change with, for example, provided instructions. The design itself may actually be an improvement in the long-term, but because it is new and differs from the standard, you have to educate in how it works. Intuitiveness of a design is good, but not the only indicator of quality.

Not that I think this is the case with this store at all.

3. Default Re: Buy For Less

Don't know about B4L; I haven't been in one in 15 years.

But I LOVE the Uptown Grocery in Edmond. We are frequent shoppers. And it's consistently busy, well-stocked, well-staffed, and friendly. We occasionally find ourselves at Target (so we can also get non-food items in the same trip) or Trader Joe's (for unique items or to get their frozen goods), but Uptown is our staple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I'm going disagree with this principle behind this statement. If you have a standard set for something, but there is a better way to do it, you'll often need to acclimatize people to the change with, for example, provided instructions. The design itself may actually be an improvement in the long-term, but because it is new and differs from the standard, you have to educate in how it works. Intuitiveness of a design is good, but not the only indicator of quality.

Not that I think this is the case with this store at all.
    I don't think I ever said that a design being intuitive was the only indicator of quality. If I did, please show me where. Acclimating users to change is a whole lot different than giving out instructions of how to use a confusing website or store or what have you.

A person walks into a store, they just wanna start shopping. They don't want to have to study a map to find out that the bell peppers are kept right next to the clorox bleach. A person visits a website, they just wanna start using it. They don't want to read a pdf about where and how to find useful things on the website. If they experience any of these situations, most people are not likely to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't think I ever said that a design being intuitive was the only indicator of quality. If I did, please show me where. Acclimating users to change is a whole lot different than giving out instructions of how to use a confusing website or store or what have you.

A person walks into a store, they just wanna start shopping. They don't want to have to study a map to find out that the bell peppers are kept right next to the clorox bleach. A person visits a website, they just wanna start using it. They don't want to read a pdf about where and how to find useful things on the website. If they experience any of these situations, most people are not likely to come back.
    I was really just splitting hairs on the specific blanket statement that a good design will not need instruction. Perhaps you didn't intend that to be a blanket statement in the first place. Of course there are differences between an inherently confusing design and instructing people on a change; that was pretty much my point. I didn't really intend to turn this into a kerfuffle.

Buy for less answers TLO questions.

http://www.thelostogle.com/2017/02/0...ns/#more-69765

Thanks for posting that, Stew.

That really does make me feel better about where they're at.

. . .really appreciate the "good news" follow-up!! To often, bad news stories just linger on, and on, and . . .on. Sure hope all is well. . .and remains well. . . in Uptown/B4L town!!
    Last edited by foodiefan; 02-07-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: sp

Any update on plans for the 23rd and Penn Buy For Less location?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Any update on plans for the 23rd and Penn Buy For Less location?
    The building is owned by Dan Dill out of El Reno. He owns other properties in town and they are all rented to Goodwill or Dollar Stores.

I am not optimistic anything good is going to happen here in the near future.

Oh boy, thanks for the heads up haha. I'll cross my fingers that he changes things up since there is already both a Dollar Tree and a Goodwill donation center at intersection...

12. Default Re: Buy For Less

There seems to be work being done on the interior of the old Buy For Less on 23rd and Penn. Any idea what is going on there?

Maybe a joint Dollar General / Goodwill store-donation center inside! the old BFL building?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Oh boy, thanks for the heads up haha. I'll cross my fingers that he changes things up since there is already both a Dollar Tree and a Goodwill donation center at intersection...
    VASA is a lot better than a Dollar Tree or Goodwill.

I'm hearing rumors today that Buy For Less may have been offered a letter of intent to be purchased by another company. I think I also may know who but haven't been able to verify it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    I'm hearing rumors today that Buy For Less may have been offered a letter of intent to be purchased by another company. I think I also may know who but haven't been able to verify it yet.
    If the rumor is true, I wonder if it is just the Buy For Less locations or all of the Binkowski grocery stores including the Uptown Markets and Super Mercados.

Ended up being 2 different buyers. Which is why there was some confusion. 7 of the 11 Buy for Less’s are being sold.

Some to El Ahorro and some to Pruetts. Looks like Pruetts is getting the uptown stores.

Very interesting timing. Most grocery retailers are in an incredible position for positive cash flow as nearly every store I’ve see finances for at different banners have been seeing 30-60% sales increases since COVID began. A lot of companies have a lot of cash on hand right now. But I know Hanks wife is more interested in real estate.

So Buy for Less will still be around after this sale? I have only seen Pruetts when going through Broken Bow, are they nice or better than Uptown?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So Buy for Less will still be around after this sale? I have only seen Pruetts when going through Broken Bow, are they nice or better than Uptown?
    From what I’ve heard they are still looking for a third buyer for the other four stores. Buy for Less owners are wanting out of the grocery industry. The third most interested buyer that’s looking at the four remaining stores is doing some due diligence on the store conditions and finances as they’re not exactly from the area.

I know nothing about El Ahorro but Pruetts is a great retailer. Good old fashioned grocery family. They run a good clean store. Their pricing structure will fit in well with the Uptown locations.

^

Thanks for all the great information.

This should be a good thing as the Binkowski's seem to have been really struggling the last couple of years.

They were also operating Native Roots market in Deep Deuce; I worry this may be the end of them.

I think the grocery business is an unsexy business that requires tremendous capital, as well as constant and monotonous vigilance. Low margin drone work, and the only fun part is designing and building them. I think the Binkowski's are skilled at design and building. Hopefully they will do more of that.

Thread Information