Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buy For Less

Default Re: Buy For Less

Quote Originally Posted by moxyweez View Post
    Not a grocery store, but Mediterranean Imports on North May has a terrific cheese selection.
    this. . !!plus lots other delectables!!

Not a grocery store, but Mediterranean Imports on North May has a terrific cheese selection.
    Have to check it out, been there once to eat and shop and mainly concentrated on eating, thx for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I'm a scotch drinker and I absolutely assure that what I buy is comparable or less than any other places I have looked for what I want.
    That is not typical of Grand Cru, as a whole. I'm not knocking them at all, since I do frequent them, but if you did a sampling of their wine, beer, and cigar offerings compared to other metro stores, you'd find they are higher. I've compared for myself, but I also don't drink Scotch. As I said before, I also don't mind paying more for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I'm a scotch drinker and I absolutely assure that what I buy is comparable or less than any other places I have looked for what I want.
    What kind of scotch?

One of OKC's Gems - Also a really good place to buy spices.

6. Default Re: Buy For Less

Yes, truly a gem! Now to derail this thread a little further: it's also a great place for hummus and tabouli among other delectables as detailed earlier in this thread. Absolutely wonderful. It's a great place for lots of deli and grocery items. You may want to shop away from meal times as it is somewhat difficult to socially distance in there. We started shopping at Medit Deli when is was located at 36tth and MacArther way back when. Always loved the quality and attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    What kind of scotch?
    Lauders or Inverhouse. I never buy expensive scotch to drink at home. Inverhouse had been the least expensive but the price recently went up slightly so I'm buying Lauders now. I used to buy my scotch at Pancho's on N. Meridian when I lived near there and the prices were comparable but never less.

Something is going on with the Buy For Less location at NW Hiway/Portland. I went in to purchase a couple of money orders. The customer service office has closed permanently.

The SUPER SAVER affiliate in Norman is having a closing sale.

I went into the NW Hiway/Portland store Thursday evening (1/14). One of the cashiers informed me the store has already changed owners and is now owned by Pruett's Food based in Ada, OK. Some of the floor displays have been cleared out, but shelves are still stocked. I was also told the new owners will sink about $2 million into some remodeling of that location. No info about the bakery or deli. The other location under the Pruett name is the location in Edmond.

This is some absolute BS, I went to Uptown in Edmond today, closest store to me, and they had no alcohol at all. Cashier said it was new owners decision. Unfortunately when wife wants Sunday morning Mimosas I can't go to the liquor store so I have to go 4 miles further south to Crest. I loved that Uptown but will no longer be shopping with them.

I just went to the Edmond Uptown today (after picking up beer at the liquor store down the street...sigh) and learned they no longer accept American Express. They put signs up saying it's because of the high fees. I don't have much hope for the future of this place.

No Amex and no wine/beer is not compatible with running a high end deli or grocer. Unless they are doing away with the whole "Uptown" concept, this is not going to end well.

I think that is where its headed. Less high end and more economy stuff. I like the deli/cheese and bakery sections and a lot more. I hope they don't turn it into some kind of economy type store.

Well the grocery store scene in OKC just took a step backwards it seems then.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    This is some absolute BS, I went to Uptown in Edmond today, closest store to me, and they had no alcohol at all. Cashier said it was new owners decision. Unfortunately when wife wants Sunday morning Mimosas I can't go to the liquor store so I have to go 4 miles further south to Crest. I loved that Uptown but will no longer be shopping with them.
    Fortunately, the liquor stores near us have chosen to open on Sundays. Comes in handy when I forget to plan ahead and have to buy liquor.

Most gas stations have champagne good enough to drown in OJ.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I think that is where its headed. Less high end and more economy stuff. I like the deli/cheese and bakery sections and a lot more. I hope they don't turn it into some kind of economy type store.
    "Cash Saver" here ya come!!

I went in the Edmond store today. Employees not wanting to social distance after I asked them to. Also I was looking at the cakes in the bakery. An employee with about a 6 ft or longer floor mop broom thing tried to basically push me out of the way. No way to treat a customer. My knee was not doing good today, I'm older ie retired. I went to check out and an employee jumped in front of me as I put my stuff on the check out counter. You don't treat customers like that.

Just tried to call them, no answer, mail box full. ugh

21. Default Re: Buy For Less

I went in the Edmond store today. Employees not wanting to social distance after I asked them to. Also I was looking at the cakes in the bakery. An employee with about a 6 ft or longer floor mop broom thing tried to basically push me out of the way.
    6 feet, huh? Sounds like they were trying to social distance you with the broom.

HangryHippo Guest

I went in the Edmond store today. Employees not wanting to social distance after I asked them to. Also I was looking at the cakes in the bakery. An employee with about a 6 ft or longer floor mop broom thing tried to basically push me out of the way. No way to treat a customer. My knee was not doing good today, I'm older ie retired. I went to check out and an employee jumped in front of me as I put my stuff on the check out counter. You don't treat customers like that.
    I feel bad for you. You seem to have more issues at grocery stores than anyone else I know.

Yep. It just seems like if I go into any stores I have problems. I was doing a return at Dulth Trading company yesterday. Have to go through the insert card thing and press this ect. 3 younger men basically crowed me and then started yelling at me. I have hearing loss so I don't know what they were saying. I could not hurry any faster then the machine. I told them to social distance since they had their masks pulled down on their faces. Two other women started to yell at me one with no mask and another with hers pulled down. At that point I walked away from the card reader with my card in it. I was just ready to leave the store.

Instead of patronizing grocery owners from outside the area, shop your beverage needs at your local package store. It benefits the local economy, and the employees are more knowledgable about what they sell. Additionally the selection is generally larger to choose from.

i'm going to have to check out the may & britton location again soon... i've always liked their meat counter and am curious if they're going to pare down their selection.

Thread Information