Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buy For Less

Default Re: Buy For Less

I liked the Uptown Market @ May & Britton. The Buy For Less @ NW HWY & Portland always seemed dirty, unkempt and in need to remodeling and updating to me.

The grocery business is indeed a tough business.

Although I live in OKC I've always admired the Reasors Grocery Stores around Tulsa. Very nice stores.

I’d like a Trader Joe’s in north Edmond. HEB and Central Market need to get on the ball and build a location in the metro area. Just one of those each would do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I liked the Uptown Market @ May & Britton. The Buy For Less @ NW HWY & Portland always seemed dirty, unkempt and in need to remodeling and updating to me.

The grocery business is indeed a tough business.

Although I live in OKC I've always admired the Reasors Grocery Stores around Tulsa. Very nice stores.
    Reasors, like Crest in OKC is a multi-generational family owned company. Jeff Reasor's dad, Larry founded the company in Tahlequah in the 60's. Reasor's shifted their demographic focus and style of store about ?five? years ago. For the longest time they were "The Right Stuff, The Right Price" resembling a typical value based grocery store. Reasor's renovated and updated stores within the Tulsa metro. They now resemble more of Uptown Grocery, just bigger, with a focus on lots of fresh on-demand food from a bakery and Deli. The overall feel of the store is quite nice and I assume they have a good market share in the Tulsa area given the number of locations and size of stores.

Reasor's wanted to enter the OKC Market about 15 years ago, with a location at 15th and Bryant near Spring Creek in Edmond. However, their was opposition for a 24 hour grocery store from the neighborhood near by the zoned commercial land and store saturation with a Walmart Market, Super Target, and Homeland all within a few miles of this proposed location, despite the population density in the area. Reasor's didn't have the same pull as Walmart did, which built a SuperCenter near by at 15th and I-35 in 2006, despite similar neighborhood opposition.

http://edmondlifeandleisure.com/new-...a-p7723-84.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’d like a Trader Joe’s in north Edmond. HEB and Central Market need to get on the ball and build a location in the metro area. Just one of those each would do well.
    I'd have a hard time saying Central Market needs to get on the ball, I believe they are just fine without OKC!

^^^^ I love going to Central Market in Dallas. I go when I'm ready to head back to OKC.

Central Market is owned by HEB, which is a mighty fine grocery chain in Texas. You can't go wrong at HEB.

Since we're on the subject of H-E-B, this article about how they prepared for the run on grocery stores at the beginning of the pandemic is incredible. One of the best things I've read this year. https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/he...irus-pandemic/

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    I'd have a hard time saying Central Market needs to get on the ball, I believe they are just fine without OKC!
    Absolutely but selfishly I’d want to see one in OKC lol

I had forgotten Susan Binkowski has been very sick to the point they moved out of the state (not sure if they still are) for treatments.

So three people advised me from Pruett Foods that they are a Christian company and don’t see drinking alcohol of any kind. I am trying to get a hold of their HQ and see if they really are getting rid of the alcohol sections in the existing uptown grocery stores. If they do what a freaking bummer. I mean I believe in god although I don’t go to church, I will be the first to say the last thing we need in Oklahoma is more religious crap and now inconveniencing people who became accustomed to shopping for good wine at uptown. I hope this isn’t true but it seems like it is.

So three people advised me from Pruett Foods that they are a Christian company and don’t see drinking alcohol of any kind. I am trying to get a hold of their HQ and see if they really are getting rid of the alcohol sections in the existing uptown grocery stores. If they do what a freaking bummer. I mean I believe in god although I don’t go to church, I will be the first to say the last thing we need in Oklahoma is more religious crap and now inconveniencing people who became accustomed to shopping for good wine at uptown. I hope this isn’t true but it seems like it is.
    Oh man, that is not the news I wanted to read. I hope they don't change too much of the meat counter and how they will grill/cook up the meat you purchase for free.

Blog Entries

Why don’t we wait and see. The vast majority of Christians I know drink at least wine. After all, Christ’s first recorded miracle was turning water into wine for wedding guests to celebrate with and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Why don’t we wait and see. The vast majority of Christians I know drink at least wine. After all, Christ’s first recorded miracle was turning water into wine for wedding guests to celebrate with and enjoy.
    I hear you. I’m hoping it isn’t true. I’m sure the liquor accounts for a large percentage of sales as well.

I remember when the old Williams grocery store ( which used to be Albertsons) on South May didn't sell alcohol..... It didn't last long.

I think in the not too distant future, you will see more and more competition from grocery home delivery and grocery stores shrinking for more specialized things like meat and produce. If you go to Crest on the weekday half the people there are Shipt shoppers. Its super inefficient use of space than just having a warehouse facility. It will only be a matter of time before Amazon and Walmart start building warehouse delivery specifically for grocery.

^

Just wait until Amazon builds out the infrastructure it needs.

They will likely revolutionalize grocery shopping just like they have for most other things.

As a side note, I went into Target to buy a few things and was quickly reminded why Amazon is far superior to just about any brick and mortar. First, it was crazy busy which is annoying in general but these days very worrisome. Then, I simply could not find one of 3 items I was looking for. I spent forever combing the store and finally went up to a stocker (who was doing all she could to avoid eye-contact with anyone) and she was no help. What a ridiculous ordeal and waste of my time and effort. I'm sorry, but Amazon is just 100x better (I could have bought on-line from Target but there was a substantial shipping charge and it would have taken far longer to arrive).

Blog Entries

*Amazon or whatever they name the spin-off company (Whole Foods?) when they're forced by the government to break up (not saying I want that, but could see it happening).

Edmond Re: Buy For Less

I’d like a Trader Joe’s in north Edmond.
    The old Ace Hardware at Kelly/Danforth would seem ideal for TJ's

18. Default Re: Buy For Less

Oooo, great suggestion!

Agreed. Would love to see one in Edmond.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    The old Ace Hardware at Kelly/Danforth would seem ideal for TJ's
    I thought the same thing the other day but the entire shopping center needs a facelift. There is also an empty storefront in the Bryant Square shopping center that would be perfect for a Trader Joe’s as well.

PS, Edmond will completely redo the Kelly/Danforth intersection sometime in the next few years. They will extend the improvements from the expanded Covell and redo the entire intersection and place medians like 500 feet or so in each direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I think in the not too distant future, you will see more and more competition from grocery home delivery and grocery stores shrinking for more specialized things like meat and produce. If you go to Crest on the weekday half the people there are Shipt shoppers. Its super inefficient use of space than just having a warehouse facility. It will only be a matter of time before Amazon and Walmart start building warehouse delivery specifically for grocery.
    Walmart has been testing this for a couple of years in Bentonville. They have one store that was built specifically for delivery and pick up.

Peapod and a couple of others tried to kick-start the grocery home delivery business 25 years ago.

The grocery industry is very difficult with low margins, huge competition and consumers with very individual tastes and high standards.

I'm still betting on Amazon to be the first to figure this out on a large scale.

I hear you. I’m hoping it isn’t true. I’m sure the liquor accounts for a large percentage of sales as well.
    My wife just returned from Uptown in The Village, and they are, indeed, removing alcohol from the store. She said the wine and beer aisle is practically empty and the cashier confirmed they would stop selling alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    My wife just returned from Uptown in The Village, and they are, indeed, removing alcohol from the store. She said the wine and beer aisle is practically empty and the cashier confirmed they would stop selling alcohol.
    I’ve already called and complained and even wrote to them about it. It’s not the end of the world but I do like Uptown and removed convenience sucks.

Nm
    Last edited by Jersey Boss; 01-01-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Learned that issue is being addressed.

Thread Information