Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

1. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I'm going to Maple's for lunch today and I've never had a bad experience... So crossing my fingers today isn't my first.

Next Saturday at 7:30 AM I'll be standing in line at Snow's BBQ in Lexington Texas. The two time, and current, Texas Monthly #1 rated BBQ restaurant in Texas.... They'll be sold out by the time most BBQ restaurants are opening.

I was 30th in line at 7:30 AM when I was there in November of 2018. There were about 50 more people in line behind me and they serve the best brisket I have ever eaten.... And I've eaten a lot of brisket as a certified KCBS judge and former BBQ blogger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E9233[1].JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	15525 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E9232[1].JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	638.9 KB 
ID:	15526

Name:	IMG_E9234[1].JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	598.5 KB 
ID:	15527 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E9235[1].JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	15528

Name:	IMG_E9236[1].JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	15529

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

Next Saturday at 7:30 AM I'll be standing in line at Snow's BBQ in Lexington Texas. ]
    I'm envious, very envious ...................... hope you enjoy !

Since Snows opens so early, there's still time to hit another joint at noon

3. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    I'm envious, very envious ...................... hope you enjoy !

Since Snows opens so early, there's still time to hit another joint at noon
    It will be Coopers in New Braunfels.

The first time I went down there we hit 6 places in one day starting at Snow's and ended at Meyer's in Elgin.

4. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

The first time I went down there we hit 6 places in one day starting at Snow's and ended at Meyer's in Elgin.
    Have you been to Hard 8 in Stephenville? Curious how that compares to the rest.

5. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Have you been to Hard 8 in Stephenville? Curious how that compares to the rest.
    Have not made it to Hard 8 but hear good things about it and have friends that have and thought it was great.

6. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Well I hate to be the bearer of good news but.... My lunch at Maple's today was as good as it's always been.

The ribs were almost perfect. Super tender but not falling off the bone. Fatty brisket was moist and fork tender. They even had plenty of boats and cups at the sauce and pickle bar.

They were almost at capacity when we left at about 12:15.

Name:	IMG_9240.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	15540 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9239.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	15541

Name:	IMG_9242.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	15538 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9237.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	15539

They have changed their ordering system slightly again from my last visit a few months ago. They now give you a number to hang from the paper towel holder at the table and bring your food to you.

Well, Maples looks good to me ............... think I'm gonna have to head that way.

Yummm looks good to me. I think I will have to hit maples tomorrow. I am glad to hear some positive reviews out there still.

Well I hate to be the bearer of good news but.... My lunch at Maple's today was as good as it's always been.
    that is good to hear! i'm going to have to make my way over there again soon.

Maybe there was confusion with maples selling bbq and whiskey now, and bates asked for his bbq to be served on the rocks? Lol

11. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Maybe there was confusion with maples selling bbq and whiskey now, and bates asked for his bbq to be served on the rocks? Lol
    I'm just glad my last couple of experiences are not 'the norm' for must other patrons. I just can't see myself rolling the dice to eat there at their prices. Maybe the key is to get there right when they start serving lunch, but that's not usually an option for me. Too many other consistently good choices IMO.

You might've been at Snows with these fellas

https://twitter.com/BBQpodcast/statu...750668800?s=19

Not knowing another place to post this.....

Are barbecue lines just a marketing ploy?

went to maples today for lunch and got a bunch of good stuff to go. all the bbq was really tasty, as usual. i think the ribs were a little overcooked but certainly nothing disastrous. this might be sacrilege, but i saw that they now have a chili dog on the menu and decided to try that out... big mistake. it was definitely one of the worst hot dogs i have ever eaten. the chili was ok but nothing special. i'm not exaggerating when i say that the hot dog meat had no seasoning in it. i'm not saying that it could have used more seasoning... i'm saying that the meat literally had no seasoning that i could taste. i'm not sure it even had salt, let alone curing salt. it was so bad that i wonder if it was some kind of mistake by whoever makes them.

15. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    went to maples today for lunch and got a bunch of good stuff to go. all the bbq was really tasty, as usual. i think the ribs were a little overcooked but certainly nothing disastrous. this might be sacrilege, but i saw that they now have a chili dog on the menu and decided to try that out... big mistake. it was definitely one of the worst hot dogs i have ever eaten. the chili was ok but nothing special. i'm not exaggerating when i say that the hot dog meat had no seasoning in it. i'm not saying that it could have used more seasoning... i'm saying that the meat literally had no seasoning that i could taste. i'm not sure it even had salt, let alone curing salt. it was so bad that i wonder if it was some kind of mistake by whoever makes them.
    I'm pretty sure they're using Schwab dogs, so that it surprising. Must have been a bad batch.

Texas Monthly barbecue snob was at Maples

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6lwyGwl..._web_copy_link

bbqsnob
    It’s like @maplesbarbecue is a different restaurant today than the one I had a disappointing meal at earlier this year. Great stuff, especially the brisket. Best I’ve had in OKC.

https://twitter.com/BBQsnob/status/1...594171909?s=20

Daniel Vaughn
    @BBQsnob
    Day 95 of #FreshBBQshirt brings us this classic design from @TheSmokingHo
    as seen outside @maplesbarbecue
    w/ Pitmaster Zach. #Brisket

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

We have important news to share - it’s with a ton of conflicting emotions that we’re ending this chapter of Maples Barbecue. It’s been a good ride for our little family. We’re grateful for our pit crew, led by Zach Edge and Antony Rosales, for their passion and commitment working tirelessly every night in pursuit of the magical perfect cook. Thank you to our support staff for your excellence in hospitality and service. We want to thank every single one of you that’s supported this dream of ours. We’re thankful to have had the opportunity to spread some BBQ love around @plazadistrict and OKC.

If someone feels like they want to step in and continue writing this story you can send business inquiries to info@maplesbarbecue.com

All our best
    Maples Team @ Maples Barbecue
    not good!

20. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

On the plus side if you enjoyed their Q... After having a few conversations with Zach after he figured out I was OK BBQ Eaters Anonymous.... Don't be surprised to see him open up his own place.... At the time he mentioned it to me he was talking about the Piedmont area but he has a passion for making BBQ.

Is this related to the opening of Clark Crew?

They are closed as of today.

Anyone think location played a role here ?

I also wonder if Clarks Crew did not influence this decision.

Or is just that central Texas barbecue is not appreciated here ?

All that said, there's joints in Texas that made the last Texas monthly top 50 that have closed. Its not a big deal in the restaurant industry.

Maples was quite ambitious and I always admire that.

I always feel the pain of someone who has put their heart, soul and tons of money into something that doesn't work out.

And Todd Woodruff is simply one of the nicest people around. Fortunately for him, Waffle Champion and Nonesuch as smash successes.

IMO their fatal mistake was not including fries and a solid burger from the very beginning. Perhaps that goes against some BBQ creed, but the reality is the Plaza is not a cheap location to run a restaurant and lunch groups need options, as not everyone is obsessed with brisket.

Thread Information