Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I shut the blog down a little over a year ago now and really don't get out to eat much these days since I went keto... You may also notice I had Pete change my username.... Life kind of took a different direction for me.

On the plus side BBQ in Oklahoma City has seen a huge improvement from what it was in just the last couple of years.... Central Texas style has made it's way to the state and even traditional Oklahoma BBQ has seen some big improvements recently with more improvements on the way.

I still think The Flying Pig is making ribs that I would put up against the best in the country.

The brisket at all the Texas style joints holds true to the style and saves me from cooking my own or driving to Texas to get it when the mood strikes.

Would love to see someone putting out some good Eastern Carolina pulled pork here again but overall we have a lot of options for some quality Q now. While I was blogging Oklahoma City was good but there was nothing really outstanding.
    I'm just glad you are still posting! Happy for you on getting healthier and chasing different life aspirations also.

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

The House OKC: Let's Eat - Maples BBQ

While I'm not the biggest Maples fan, I loathe TLO and their jaded articles. They are contrarians at their core and that is just a horrible way to be. I think I'll swing by for lunch today out of spite.

I watched that video yesterday which made me crave some BBQ. so popped in to Maples last night for a center cut of brisket. never disappointed in the food for sure. ( still don't enjoy the interior space as its so cold). Even brought some home for lunch today.

I had the privilege of growing up in Central Texas (Waco and Austin) before it blew up. My grandfather BBQ'd brisket the Texas way out of 55-gallon modified barrel in the backyard. I had no idea that there was any other kind of BBQ. When I moved to Oklahoma twenty years ago, the BBQ here was horrifying to me. Maples has finally come close to what I had back there growing up.

It is interesting to observe the quality change with the weather. High-wind days here are tough. In Texas, I think the weather and lack of fierce wind had a great deal to do with the quality of a slow cook. Kudos to them for being diligent with overnight pit masters and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    It is interesting to observe the quality change with the weather. High-wind days here are tough. In Texas, I think the weather and lack of fierce wind had a great deal to do with the quality of a slow cook. Kudos to them for being diligent with overnight pit masters and such.
    yes... my BBQ quality at home significantly (and i mean very noticeably to everyone) improved after i built my wind break around my smoker... able to maintain a low heat much easier now for that slow cook

How do you think humidity plays into it? People complain about humidity here but Oklahoma doesn't hold a candle to Central Texas on humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    How do you think humidity plays into it? People complain about humidity here but Oklahoma doesn't hold a candle to Central Texas on humidity.
    i don't know, having never smoked in Texas, but i have always been taught around here to keep a pan of clean water in it. and always have... probably specifically related to this problem. i've never smoked without it, so don't know if this helps or not... just something i have always done

9. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i don't know, having never smoked in Texas, but i have always been taught around here to keep a pan of clean water in it. and always have... probably specifically related to this problem. i've never smoked without it, so don't know if this helps or not... just something i have always done
    Humidity in the smoker helps smoke stick to the meat..... The moisture also helps to keep the meat cooler just as sweat keeps us cooler which allows the meat to cook slower and helps to keep that big hunk of muscle stay tender instead of cramping up on you because it's to hot and dehydrated.

The pan of water also acts as a heat sink in the smoker making the temperatures easier to control and stay consistent.

Humidity in the smoker helps smoke stick to the meat..... The moisture also helps to keep the meat cooler just as sweat keeps us cooler which allows the meat to cook slower and helps to keep that big hunk of muscle stay tender instead of cramping up on you because it's to hot and dehydrated.

The pan of water also acts as a heat sink in the smoker making the temperatures easier to control and stay consistent.
    sweet. science behind something i was doing!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	15215

Humidity in the smoker helps smoke stick to the meat.....
    maybe it's the difference between hot smoking and cold smoking... but I thought i've read that smoke adheres better to meat that has formed a pellicle... to me, that would imply that a dry environment is preferred for imparting smoke flavor.

The moisture also helps to keep the meat cooler just as sweat keeps us cooler
    which allows the meat to cook slower
    i don't know about that... moist air is a better conductor of heat than dry air. if anything, moist air of a given temperature will cook something faster than dry air of the same temperature. sweat makes us feel cooler because of evaporation. that effect is reduced in humid environments.

and helps to keep that big hunk of muscle stay tender instead of cramping up on you because it's to hot and dehydrated.
    i think the key here is that a lower cooking temperature helps prevent muscle fibers from seizing while giving time for the breakdown of connective tissue. a more humid environment helps slow the process of evaporation which reduces moisture loss.

totally agreed on this.

hope none of that came across jerky... and i'm definitely not trying to imply that i know more about the process of smoking meat... just not sure about the science claimed behind some of those methods.

12. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hope none of that came across jerky... and i'm definitely not trying to imply that i know more about the process of smoking meat... just not sure about the science claimed behind some of those methods.
    Not jerky at all... Cooking BBQ has more myth surrounding it than any other cuisine. I know I lost a lot of sleep cooking low and slow because that's how BBQ is supposed to be cooked according to myth right?

Now it's just up to the reader to decide which one of our theories is the myth.

Not saying you are right or wrong about bbq, but your sweat analogy is wrong. Sweat keeps us cool by the sweat transferring heat from inside our bodies to the outside of our bodies.

It's actually better for us when our sweat evaporates instead of keeping us wet, because the sweat drawn from inside us still has the heat in it. When the environment is humid, our sweat doesn't evaporate as easily and we stay hot. When our sweat evaporates it takes the heat in the sweat away from the outside of our bodies.

Sorry for the off topic health exercise lesson!

I agree, BBQ is positively steeped in myth and legend.

Physics, on the other hand...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/physi...stery_b_987719

http://biggreeneggic.com/all-about-water-pans/

The moisture keeps the meat cooler. Period. And works the same way as sweat does, evaporative cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Aren't jerky and BBQ related anyway?

Hopefully going to Maples for the first time tomorrow, what would be good to bring home as leftovers to sit 'til Wed to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I agree, BBQ is positively steeped in myth and legend.

Physics, on the other hand...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/physi...stery_b_987719

http://biggreeneggic.com/all-about-water-pans/

The moisture keeps the meat cooler. Period. And works the same way as sweat does, evaporative cooling.
    That article says the moisture INSIDE the meat keeps it cool, just like our sweat does. That is true.

We were discussing moisture OUTSIDE the meat (in a tin pan, natural humidity from the environment, ect..) keeping the meat cool. Maybe true, but definitely not how sweat works.

I'm a fan of both but I understand the reason they do it... It's an homage to the Texas BBQ joints they are modeled after.
    Curious about this facet. Roger you would probably be the best to know. Is it common for Texas BBQ joints to have whiskey bars in the same place? Now I enjoy Jameson's, Crown, and some others so I am not opposed to having a horn or two. In North Carolina where I developed my appreciation for "Q" I don't remember anything with more alcohol than beer.

18. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Curious about this facet. Roger you would probably be the best to know. Is it common for Texas BBQ joints to have whiskey bars in the same place? Now I enjoy Jameson's, Crown, and some others so I am not opposed to having a horn or two. In North Carolina where I developed my appreciation for "Q" I don't remember anything with more alcohol than beer.
    Nope... That is definitely a wrinkle in the fabric of traditional Central Texas BBQ where beer and Big Red are the drinks you see the most.... Heck it may be a state law down there that Big Red has to be available to serve BBQ and at some of the places with long lines the beer is often free.

I do enjoy the bar at Maple's as I tend to drink mostly rum and whiskey..... A Parse rum on ice goes well with a hunk of fatty brisket in my opinion.

19. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Ha, I lived in Waco a little bit some years ago, never heard of Big Red, being from the east coast, but man, it was THE pop. Not my taste, and don't dare run out of it, almost a crime if that happened. Kinda bubble gum flavorish, if I recall.

The pan of water helps control temperature a few ways. The big way is that liquid water in OKC can't go above ~210F. So you have this large thermal mass that won't get any hotter than 210. Heat transfer into the water is increased as the difference in air and water temperature increase, which is the "heat sink" affected, i.e. the hotter the air gets the more heat it loses to the water cooling the air off. The other cooling effect is once steam is formed from the boiling water the steam is only 210F but it can be heated to whatever the air temperature is, but this requires energy from the air thus cooling the air some more. And of course, the more heat you are dumping into the water the harder it boils and the quicker steam is generated (this is what all the heat going into the water is used for).

The other way it helps is if the flame gets a little cool, the water retains heat and will start releasing it once the air temperature falls below 210F.

Also the more humid the air is, the less moisture will evaporate from the meat, however 250F air can hold a TON of moisture, so I don't really know that the steam from the water pan makes a real difference here.

Blog Entries

Boiling point is also relative to air pressure. Will be different at different altitudes, etc, but not over 212

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Boiling point is also relative to air pressure. Will be different at different altitudes, etc, but not over 212
    Yup, about 210 in OKC on a "Standard" day, much bigger difference in Breckenridge, CO. You can raise the boiling point of water by adding salt.

23. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Time for an embarrassing moment, I went to Maples for the first time a week ago. I am an avid home smoker (stick burner and pellet smoker) and everyone told me to check Maples out. It was fantastic. I had a couple of slices of fatty brisket, hotlinks and pork ribs. The sides of mac and cheese, beans (amazing) and cole slaw were fantastic. Some of the best BBQ I have in a long time. I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy this place!

It is very, very good.

It's not cheap but there are plenty of places to get cheap, lousy BBQ.

25. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's not cheap but there are plenty of places to get cheap, lousy BBQ.
    And a few to get expensive lousy BBQ..... I do have to say our BBQ scene has improved immensely over the last couple of years though. It was pretty rough around here during my blogging days but there are several local joints that I really enjoy now.

Thread Information