Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Blog Entries

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Is it a dinner option/open later yet?

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Is it a dinner option/open later yet?
    Only if they change their business model but if they hold true to the Central Texas model don't ever expect them to be open much past 3 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Only if they change their business model but if they hold true to the Central Texas model don't ever expect them to be open much past 3 PM.
    They posted on Instagram three hours ago that they had 2 briskets and 12 racks of ribs left. I'm curious to know what their "cut off" time will be in the late afternoon/early evening on slower days.

Blog Entries

Bummer

5. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    They posted on Instagram three hours ago that they had 2 briskets and 12 racks of ribs left. I'm curious to know what their "cut off" time will be in the late afternoon/early evening on slower days.
    I know right now they are selling from 11 AM to Sold Out but they are using the same model as Aaron Franklin and his cutoff is 3 PM for quality control purposes.... I'll be interested in seeing if they stick to it because a big part of the issue with the consistency of OKC BBQ is that lack of quality control because they use the quantity over quality model.

BBQ restaurants that are open all day are either holding their meats all day or staggering their cook times to try and meet demand. They would rather give you a lesser quality product than tell you they don't have something. Which is almost a necessity in this age of instant gratification.... Consumers don't like to be told no.

I had a former co-worker tell me once that he would rather go to Rib Crib than Klemm's because the first week Klemm's had their brick and mortar location open they ran out of ribs the night he was there. He told me "Rib Crib never runs out of ribs!"..... I told him to get the hell out of my office.

6. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

^^ yep, have had a few friends suggest going here for dinner and have not understood why they operate the way they do.

7. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    ^^ yep, have had a few friends suggest going here for dinner and have not understood why they operate the way they do.
    On the plus side the quality over quantity model appears to be working for Maple's and it's working for The Butcher BBQ Stand... So I'm hoping it continues to catch on and improve the overall quality of BBQ here.

8. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

On the plus side the quality over quantity model appears to be working for Maple's and it's working for The Butcher BBQ Stand... So I'm hoping it continues to catch on and improve the overall quality of BBQ here.
    No I totally understand, I was meaning that friends I've talked to who are used to getting BBQ at all hours don't get this concept. I definitely agree that this is the better way to do it quality wise.

9. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

No I totally understand, I was meaning that friends I've talked to who are used to getting BBQ at all hours don't get this concept. I definitely agree that this is the better way to do it quality wise.

I know right now they are selling from 11 AM to Sold Out but they are using the same model as Aaron Franklin and his cutoff is 3 PM for quality control purposes.... I'll be interested in seeing if they stick to it because a big part of the issue with the consistency of OKC BBQ is that lack of quality control because they use the quantity over quality model.

BBQ restaurants that are open all day are either holding their meats all day or staggering their cook times to try and meet demand. They would rather give you a lesser quality product than tell you they don't have something. Which is almost a necessity in this age of instant gratification.... Consumers don't like to be told no.

I had a former co-worker tell me once that he would rather go to Rib Crib than Klemm's because the first week Klemm's had their brick and mortar location open they ran out of ribs the night he was there. He told me "Rib Crib never runs out of ribs!"..... I told him to get the hell out of my office.

The emoji in this forum are hilarious.

11. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    HAHA... Yeah, after I read your comment a couple of times I understood you understood... I was just further elaborating on why I'm happy to see the quality over quantity concept of BBQ finally coming to OKC.

This place should be open today, right? I should have a chance to try it out for lunchtime.

Do they take credit or do you need cash?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This place should be open today, right? I should have a chance to try it out for lunchtime.

Do they take credit or do you need cash?
    Yes, open at 11 until they sell out of meat.

And yes, they take cards.

Stopped by at 12:30. ~10 people ahead of me. Got ribs, sausage, and the burnt end beans.

Something in the burnt end beans made it taste bitter.

Ribs were good, had some pull to them, didn't fall off the bone for sure.

Sausage definitely caught me off guard. Couldn't slice through the skin they used to hold it all together. In addition, it didn't seem like it was processed long enough as I could see bits and pieces and separate them.

I'd rank them for myself as the following

Brisket
    Ribs
    Pulled pork
    Sausage

Have yet to find a side that I'd order again (only chipotle slaw left).

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Sausage definitely caught me off guard. Couldn't slice through the skin they used to hold it all together. In addition, it didn't seem like it was processed long enough as I could see bits and pieces and separate them.
    So it's coarse-ground and the skin has a snap?? SOLD! Looks like they're serious about the Central Texas-style thing.

NBA Re: Maples Barbecue

I know right now they are selling from 11 AM to Sold Out but they are using the same model as Aaron Franklin and his cutoff is 3 PM for quality control purposes.... I'll be interested in seeing if they stick to it because a big part of the issue with the consistency of OKC BBQ is that lack of quality control because they use the quantity over quality mode
    Seems like they have picked 4pm for a cut off time

17. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Seems like they have picked 4pm for a cut off time
    Do they do a fire sale for leftovers? haha

They had a limited amount of beef ribs the last couple of days, the pic on FB looked great!

19. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    So it's coarse-ground and the skin has a snap?? SOLD! Looks like they're serious about the Central Texas-style thing.
    It's andouille... Definitely not a Central Texas thing.

That's the odd thing for me. Those 2 characteristics are things I don't associate with andouille. Are those the two things that make it so?

HangryHippo Guest

What type of sausage do they serve in central Texas?

22. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What type of sausage do they serve in central Texas?
    Most people refer to it as Elgin Style due to Elgin, TX being known as the Sausage Capital of Texas.

I generally refer to it as a Czech style sausage. Every place of worth in Central Texas makes their own version of it and for as simple a sausage as it is... Trying to find a recipe for it is like trying to find a Leprechaun hanging out with the Easter Bunny...... It's usually a beef/pork mixture seasoned with salt, pepper, probably a little garlic or onion powder, some kind of binder, possibly powdered milk, and the hot version have cayenne..... I'm pretty sure they hot smoke them as they are a fresh sausage with no curing salts in them.... They were originally made with what ever pieces of meat were leftover at the butcher shop at the end of the day.... So originally the beef to pork ratio changed from day to day depending on what was left.

HangryHippo Guest

Most people refer to it as Elgin Style due to Elgin, TX being known as the Sausage Capital of Texas.

I generally refer to it as a Czech style sausage. Every place of worth in Central Texas makes their own version of it and for as simple a sausage as it is... Trying to find a recipe for it is like trying to find a Leprechaun hanging out with the Easter Bunny...... It's usually a beef/pork mixture seasoned with salt, pepper, probably a little garlic or onion powder, some kind of binder, possibly powdered milk, and the hot version have cayenne..... I'm pretty sure they hot smoke them as they are a fresh sausage with no curing salts in them.... They were originally made with what ever pieces of meat were leftover at the butcher shop at the end of the day.... So originally the beef to pork ratio changed from day to day depending on what was left.
    Very interesting! Thanks BBQ.

There's really two kinds, and it's the maybe a little garlic that makes the difference. Both are coarse-ground with a snap. German style lacks the garlic, Czech has the garlic. Both are common in the area, the reason Elgin's is called hot guts is due to the (formerly, alas) heavy presence of pepper. If you were in Southside Market and said you could distinguish the bits and couldn't cut through the skin, they'd thank you for the compliment and tell you to just pick it up and eat it.

25. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Both are common in the area, the reason Elgin's is called hot guts is due to the (formerly, alas) heavy presence of pepper. If you were in Southside Market and said you could distinguish the bits and couldn't cut through the skin, they'd thank you for the compliment and tell you to just pick it up and eat it.
    I had heard that Southside was making the original hot guts again.

I'm very happy that Maple's is using a local sausage maker (Native Meat Company) but I really wish one of two things would happen.... Native Meat would develop their version of the Elgin Style sausage or Maple's would source some sausages from Southside or Meyer's.... Even Aaron Franklin rolled out his own version of the sausage just within the last few weeks.

Thread Information