Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

1. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

They had a tent set up over the picnic tables. I'm not sure if that's permanent or just today due to the weather. I also noticed two people already waiting.

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I have been waiting to try this place. I work nearby so I will head over there early to prevent me standing in line. Do they open at 11?
    Yep... That is the time they have said they will open.

3. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They had a tent set up over the picnic tables. I'm not sure if that's permanent or just today due to the weather. I also noticed two people already waiting.
    As I said up thread... I think it will become permanent.

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Well?.......it's after 11. Any updates? How's the crowd? Wish I could be there...looking forward to the reviews.

Was told that there were 50-60 people in line.

that's pretty good considering today's weather... we got in and out of george's happy hog but by the time we left the line was around 20 deep.

I went over there around 11:15. There were probably 50 or so people in front of my group. When we got in line, two people had gotten their food and just sat down to eat.

After waiting 5-10 minutes without anyone else getting food, we decided to leave due to it being chilly. After lunch, we drove by the line. We recognized some people in line that showed up right when we left. They were still about 10 people away from ordering. We were gone for 50 minutes.

I would assume this would be day one operation slowdowns and I'm sure they had some difficulties either with service or payment etc. I figured it would go faster though due to everything already being cooked and just required being served.

Alas, will try again soon, but will make sure I'm there before 11.

8. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I'm sure they will get better. They should do the person walking down the line ordering style that I have seen others do. It makes it move faster and know when they are running out.

9. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I drove by and snapped this pic about 12:45 and there was a short line still.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5152.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	13792

One of my rib tour friends, and also an OKCTalk member, snapped this pic but I don't know what time it was taken.

Name:	18057891_1417573568285507_2161235365909188830_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	13793

He said the brisket he had was the best he has had in OKC but that came with the caveat that there's not much good about brisket in OKC. Also mentioned they served him some chopped brisket that was kind of dry but the slices off the point were perfect.

He said the ribs had great flavor but were overcooked and falling off the bone.

I was there! Came in at about 11:15-11:20. Line was about back to the tent (20-25 people or so?) . Swear I saw a bunch of people push in ahead of me too =(.

Got out by 12:30 and they were out of sausage when I got there, and about to run out of brisket when I left.

Name:	IMG_20170426_125010.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	13794

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    God dammit

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    He said the brisket he had was the best he has had in OKC but that came with the caveat that there's not much good about brisket in OKC. Also mentioned they served him some chopped brisket that was kind of dry but the slices off the point were perfect.

Easy to tweak the cook time on the ribs and otherwise this sounds like very high praise, especially on the first day.

13. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Easy to tweak the cook time on the ribs and otherwise this sounds like very high praise, especially on the first day.
    Ribs are weird BBQ. I have cooked quite a few and I always like mine with bite and not falling off but I have had people said if it isn't falling off the bone it is overcooked.

Ribs seem to be subjective to me

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    God dammit
    HAHA.... In this weather the fact they got anything cooked close to correctly is amazing.

Give them a few weeks to get things dialed in and it should improve.... I'm not even going to consider trying it until they've been open at least two weeks.... Had my hopes and dreams dashed multiple times on opening days... lol

2Lanez Guest

Got there just before noon, maybe 30-40 people in line front of me. Waited 40 minutes to order, then another five minutes for food. By the time I was at the front of the line, they were out of sausage and burnt ends beans, and they ran out of sliced brisket somewhere behind me in line.

As for the food, the pulled pork was fantastic. Some of the best I've ever had. The chopped brisket tasted very good, although was a bit on the greasy side. I didn't taste the sliced brisket, but it appeared the same way. Personally, I'd prefer more bark (I also think this is more true to "central Texas" style). Mac and cheese was good, but not fantastic. Same with the chipotle slaw.

Overall, would definitely go back for the food. The ribs looked great. Prices seem to be a little high for the portions, but the atmosphere should be really great (when it's not 40 degrees outside).

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Ribs are weird BBQ. I have cooked quite a few and I always like mine with bite and not falling off but I have had people said if it isn't falling off the bone it is overcooked.

Ribs seem to be subjective to me
    Yep, I bet most people prefer the falling-off-the-bone type even if the hard core BBQ people see that as overcooked.

17. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Yep, I bet most people prefer the falling-off-the-bone type even if the hard core BBQ people see that as overcooked.
    I would definitely agree with that statement and as I've mentioned before. Even places like Butcher BBQ Stand will overcook a little to suit the taste of their average customer.

I've invited people to my house that didn't really care for my ribs because they didn't fall off the bone.... There are two things I absolutely refuse to cook... well done steaks and fall off the bone ribs.

18. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Oklahoman's also love the BBQ sauce. Over saucing everywhere. I make my own BBQ sauce but never put it on my smoked meats. People come over and just douse it. It kind of makes me cry but to each their own.

19. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Oklahoman's also love the BBQ sauce. Over saucing everywhere. I make my own BBQ sauce but never put it on my smoked meats. People come over and just douse it. It kind of makes me cry but to each their own.
    I almost asked a friend to leave one time because he poured a 1/4 of a bottle of Head Country on my ribs before he even tasted them! LOL

20. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Looks like Levi Bouska of The Butcher BBQ Stand made the trip from Wellston on his day off to give Maple's a try.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I've been anticipating this place opening for months. Disappointed in the ribs because they were overcooked, but the flavor was excellent.

Sausage had snap to it and was very flavorful.

Now to the brisket, best brisket I've had in OKC which doesn't say much. But the flavor was great!! Just a basic salt and pepper rub with a little kick on the backend. The sliced point was perfect, and the sliced flat was very good as well!! I would recommend this place for brisket over anything I've tasted.

Pulled pork was seasoned well and was actually pulled pork, not chopped with a knife. A little on the dry end but I'm willing to give it another try later.

I'll have to get a second tasting of the ribs to really get a feel for them. They were good but cold and fell off the bone.

Overall, my expectations were high and they've met or exceeded them(especially brisket). If they remain consistent, this will be my go to spot for BBQ!!

Mac and cheese I thought was unique. They used macaroni noodles, but it tasted like there was alfredo sauce in there. The person I ate with mentioned a watermelon taste too?

I don't think I saw any pictures of the menu, but I can describe it

$20/lb for brisket

$18/lb for pulled pork

$18/lb for ribs

$16/lb for sausage

*edit*
    Saw sooner88 posted on page 5.
    Last edited by Thomas Vu; 04-26-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Pricing

2Lanez Guest

Yeah, the mac actually reminded me of the vegan mac at Loaded Bowl, oddly enough.

We are fat for a reason.

The sauce thing is just a force of habit because everyone here is used to lousy BBQ meat.

If the meat is cooked right and has plenty of flavor, like a good steak it doesn't need sauce. But that's a big if and as we all know, very little BBQ around here meets that standard.

Thread Information