Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

1. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

They updated their address on their FB page yesterday..... 315 nw 11th
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Also noticed they updated their hours too.... Don't see any announcement they are open for business though.

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    They updated their address on their FB page yesterday..... 315 nw 11th
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    That's all property owned by Midtown Renaissance I believe. It's smart if they don't have any plans to develop that lot and do a lease similar to Bleu Garten. It will obviously be easy for Maple's to relocate once they plan to develop. Really excited for this.

Austin-style BBQ coming to Midtown

Waffle Champion proprietor Todd Woodruff will soon open Maples BBQ, featuring Central Texas style barbecue in a park-like setting.

After many trips to Austin, Woodruff commissioned local designer and fabricator Larry Pickering to fashion a massive smoker from a propane tank and then put the whole thing on a trailer.

Soon, a large concession trailer will join the smoker on the wooded lot directly north of Bleu Garten in Midtown.

Pending final inspections, Maples should open in 2-3 weeks.

To start, Maples will feature brisket, pulled pork, ribs, sausage and sandwiches. Sides will include macaroni and cheese, coleslaw and beans. Retro sodas and sweet tea will also be offered.

For beer and other drinks, Woodruff hopes his customers will patronize neighboring Bleu Garten and vice versa.

Initial hours will be 11AM to when they sell out from Wednesday through Sunday.

really looking forward to this place!

You just know they are going to sell out early and fast every day for a long time.

I know they have been working really hard to getting everything just right, have hired a good pit master, etc.

At the very least it should be a full cut above anything else in OKC and I bet the standard is well higher than that.

But no indoor space at all?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    But no indoor space at all?
    Nope.

There are restrooms in that building behind the smoker.

9. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nope.

There are restrooms in that building behind the smoker.
    I bet some tents, or some other temporary structure goes up at some point..... Butcher started out the same way with picnic tables out in the open and they've since built a covered seating area to accommodate customer complaints.

Before John Meuller got his World's Largest Outdoor Party shutdown for not paying taxes. He had tents in place over his picnic tables.

10. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

With that size smoker expect this place to sell out and have lines build up fast everyday for lunch. Hope they nail it. Love me some good BBQ.

Glad they are keeping the central Texas BBQ style of having it for lunch.

This is going to be amazing. Midtown is going to a legendary area before long.

I bet some tents, or some other temporary structure goes up at some point..... Butcher started out the same way with picnic tables out in the open and they've since built a covered seating area to accommodate customer complaints.

Before John Meuller got his World's Largest Outdoor Party shutdown for not paying taxes. He had tents in place over his picnic tables.
    Doubt it. I think you'll get what you get and like it. Or the person behind you can get it before it sells out.

13. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I'm hoping they nail it too but I'm keeping my expectations in check until I've tried it.... They've got the wood right and the pics I've seen of their brisket look pretty amazing.

Pulled pork is served in a few places I've been in Austin but it's not really what they're known for so I'll be giving a lot of leeway there. Good pulled pork is hard to find in OKC as it is. It's too often what I refer to as chopped, folded, spindled, and mutilated. So if they offer a good version of actual pulled pork... BONUS!!!

The sausage and brisket are going to get a lot of scrutiny from me.... If I get served an Ekrich style smoked sausage I'm going to be pretty disappointed.... It better be one of the Czech style hot gut sausages you get in that part of Texas..... I'm just really hoping they keep it simple like the best pitmasters in Central Texas do..... meat...salt...pepper, oak and pecan smoke.... That's the heart of Central Texas BBQ.

Oh and if they serve it on butcher paper with sliced white bread, or saltines,and offer Big Red to drink.... I'll know they did their homework!

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    Doubt it. I think you'll get what you get and like it. Or the person behind you can get it before it sells out.
    I personally don't have a problem with the tables out in the open but I'm not allergic to the sun like a lot of people seem to be..... Just like you have the people that complain about having to park and walk. You will have the ones that complain about being exposed to the elements.... Just go to Bleu Garten on a warm day and see where everyone is sitting... The majority are in the shade.

So happy about this.

Oh, man, John Mueller's BBQ was insanely good. Wish this place just had some decent cold domestic beers for sale.

17. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Oh, man, John Mueller's BBQ was insanely good. Wish this place just had some decent cold domestic beers for sale.
    Yes it was.... Don't know that he will ever make a return after this latest brush with the tax department.... Maybe as a pitmaster for someone but he's never seemed to work well with others. So not sure that will happen either.

I told my friend from Black Mesa that they should approach Todd Woodruff about selling beer there but it sounds like he is going to not try and compete with Bleu Garten for the beer sales..... As I said earlier... I just hope he has Big Red... It's not Texas BBQ without a Big Red!

18. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Yes it was.... Don't know that he will ever make a return after this latest brush with the tax department.... Maybe as a pitmaster for someone but he's never seemed to work well with others. So not sure that will happen either.

I told my friend from Black Mesa that they should approach Todd Woodruff about selling beer there but it sounds like he is going to not try and compete with Bleu Garten for the beer sales..... As I said earlier... I just hope he has Big Red... It's not Texas BBQ without a Big Red!
    Need some Lone Star and Shiner with my BBQ!

When did the new murals get painted?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    When did the new murals get painted?
    I believe just this last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe just this last week.
    He has been working on it for about 2 weeks. Finished up early last week I believe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	13738

Here's a little better shot.

Open in a new tab or window for an enlarged version.

They open Appril 26th

Thread Information