Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I agree with pickles that OKC does lack quality BBQ. I was excited for Backdoor BBQ, but it was more of an imitation of BBQ and not the real thing. I still like the sandwiches and I go there about once a month. Bedlam has a great location and nice patio but the food is just okay. Before I had good BBQ, Bedlam was in my regular rotation, but that all changed once I went to Franklin in Austin. Since then, I have been to many restaurants on the Texas Monthly BBQ List. I think Franklin is by far the best BBQ I have ever eaten. I have been several times and I do not even mind the long wait because it is so good! The Pecan Lodge in Dallas is a close second for me, followed by the John Mueller Meat Company in Austin.

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I'm not sure comparing OKC BBQ to Central Texas is a good comparison to even be making. The two styles are way too different to compare. The current OKC BBQ climate is more comparable to Kansas City BBQ.

Now Backdoor BBQ did attempt to do a chef driven version of Central Texas style brisket and in my opinion it fails horribly when compared to anything I've had in Central Texas.

Maple's is claiming right out of the gate to be Texas Style Pit BBQ.... So personally I'm going to be holding them to that standard and since Franklin's has been mentioned as their inspiration... I will more spcifically be comparing their product to what I've had in Central Texas.

If Maple's manages to pull this off. They will be serving BBQ that will be unique, for at least the time being, to the Oklahoma City market because with the exception of the place I mentioned earlier that was serving the Eastern Carolina style pork. Our market is very much influenced by the Kansas City style.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    BurnCo, Mud Creek BBQ, Smokin Joe's, Butcher BBQ Stand, William's Old Style, Trail's End, George's Happy Hog, The Flying Pig, Leo's, Ray's Smokehouse, Jack's.... and there were quite a few that are no longer in business.
    What do you recommend to eat at Jack's and George's?

4. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    What do you recommend to eat at Jack's and George's?
    At Jack's I always get ribs. They have been one of our Top 5 favorites all 3 years we have done the OKC Broken Rib Tour.

At George's I'm usually there for pork and bologna but I do occasionally get the ribs.... The ribs have been inconsistent on occasion..... And it's not BBQ but George's is the only place I know where I can still get Sweet Potato Pie.

I love good sliced Brisket.. moist and delicious. not so dry like chains such as Rib Crib offer. Seems hard to find consistently around here. I am hopeful this place will be my spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Well, fortunately the prevailing wind during most of the year will blow from Midtown to Heritage Hills, where folks are pretty understanding.

Larry Pickering is in the process of building the smoker and trailer, and you can follow his progress on his IG (@popmod). It looks like they're getting really close to being finished. I'm excited to hear which location they have chosen, a November opening date doesn't look impossible to meet. They'll still need to cure/season the smoker and figure out how to pump out consistent BBQ, so I'd rather them take their time and figure that part out first.

They have been working on the BBQ cooking with other smokers / grills.

This big boy is just on the industrial scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have been working on the BBQ cooking with other smokers / grills.

This big boy is just on the industrial scale.
    I still would imagine that's a pretty big adjustment? Maybe not though.

10. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I still would imagine that's a pretty big adjustment? Maybe not though.
    Big offset smoker like that is going to have it's hot and cool spots but it all comes down to the skill of the pitmaster. If their pitmaster is worth their salt. They'll find those hot/cool spots in one to two runs and the second would only be needed to confirm the results from the first... I've cooked in 3 different types of smokers, and over an open fire pit, and turned out product I would have fed to anyone and I'm very critical about my Q..... In the end it all comes down to fire control. A pitmaster that can tame the flame can cook on anything.

Big offset smoker like that is going to have it's hot and cool spots but it all comes down to the skill of the pitmaster. If their pitmaster is worth their salt. They'll find those hot/cool spots in one to two runs and the second would only be needed to confirm the results from the first... I've cooked in 3 different types of smokers, and over an open fire pit, and turned out product I would have fed to anyone and I'm very critical about my Q..... In the end it all comes down to fire control. A pitmaster that can tame the flame can cook on anything.
    Good to know! I've smoked some, but on a small smokey mountain.

12. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Good to know! I've smoked some, but on a small smokey mountain.
    Smokey Mountain's are awesome cookers! I still own 4 of them myself.... These days it seems like I'm mostly cooking for parties of 20+ people. So I'm usually cooking on my R&O Fat Girl for more capacity. But I'll never stop cooking on the Weber's.

You all are making my stomach Growl!!

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    You all are making my stomach Growl!!
    Cooked this brisket for a Halloween party on one of my Weber Smokey Mountains last year...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12191419_942815122431272_5787299023599054819_n.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	13156

It's ok if you lick the screen just a little...

2Lanez Guest

A pitmaster that can tame the flame can cook on anything.
    Who is cooking primarily? Is it Woodruff, or is there another chef involved?

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    Who is cooking primarily? Is it Woodruff, or is there another chef involved?
    He will have pitmasters.

17. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I mentioned this issue further up thread.... I'm hoping it doesn't rear it's head here with two BBQ options opening up in Midtown.

http://www.eater.com/2016/10/24/1338...ersy-wisconsin

Cooked this brisket for a Halloween party on one of my Weber Smokey Mountains last year...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12191419_942815122431272_5787299023599054819_n.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	13156

It's ok if you lick the screen just a little...
    That looks amazing! I'm a good cook but have never Tried my hand at smoking like that. It's intimidating..lol

19. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    That looks amazing! I'm a good cook but have never Tried my hand at smoking like that. It's intimidating..lol
    Don't let it intimidate you... lol .... I use the KISS method.

Get a smaller brisket. I usually look for 10-12 lbs because they come off younger steers.
    Dalmation Rub (kosher salt and course ground black pepper in equal amounts by weight) the night before to allow it to dry brine about 12 hours.
    Oak and Pecan smoke wood
    Smoke for 4 hours and then hit it with a Texas Crutch (wrap in foil or wax free butcher paper)
    Continue cooking until a fork slips into it like butter (about 195 internal temp)
    Wrap it up in a towel and place it in a cooler, or Cambro if you have one, and let it rest for an hour.
    Then enjoy one of the best briskets you've ever cooked.... Simple!

Just reading that made me hungry again..lol
    I am copying this down.. you might have talked me into giving it a try.
    Thanks!

Do we know where in Midtown Maples is going to be located yet?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeFromOk View Post
    Do we know where in Midtown Maples is going to be located yet?
    They are still trying to finalize their deal.

Should be able to announce something soon.

I deleted a bunch of posts that had nothing to do with Maples.

Stick to topic and be nice, please.

Are they still working on a location?

Are they still working on a location?
    Yes.

Getting very close as the smoker is finished and being seasoned.

Thread Information