Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 222324252627

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The lines of people who live outside of Wellston to purchase similarly priced Q at BUTCHERS tends to negate that position.
    Yeah, I think you just have to have a markedly better product than just the standard brisket any BBQ place can produce. Places like Texlahoma that sell out more often than not seem to really focus on a quality product. Aka not your standard meat that shows a consistent diamond pattern and oftentimes tastes like it's been reheated after being smoked. That's why I was surprised by the place in Davis, OK that seems well rated and busy as the brisket was your normal standard to my taste. The places I enjoy, the brisket slides apart almost like a really well done pot roast or pulled pork versus separating along weird geometric tear lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

And my concept would have been more similar to Maple's original concept which was more like John Meuller's Worlds Largest Outdoor Party concept in Austin before he got shut down for not paying taxes. Which was abandoned by Maple's to move to Plaza... I don't know why they made that decision because most days they were posting that they had sold out.
    But Austin does not have the winter weather issues we have here. They have very few days like we're havin today. Even though, Texans still line up for barbecue in 110* heat in the summer. I hear Louis Mueller will give away beer to people in his line in the summer. This is why Butcher BBQ is now enclosed.

This Texas barbecue we're seeing today, has largely come about after 2010. ( Or after Aaron Franklin ) He and John Lewis changed Texas barbecue. Yes, some of those meat market barbecue joints in central Texas have been operating for forever, but what Franklin did was something new.

And its evolving again. A couple of Houston fellas do this podcast. They travel the entire state of Texas, and have even gone to the Carolinas, reviewing barbecue. In their latest , they talk about how there's now many joints in Texas doing Franklin style brisket and now many are becoming more creative to differentiate their joints.

Breakfast tacos/burritos made from barbecue meats is also gaining. More joints are serving breakfast. How much better would that be than Sonic or Braums ?

At 7:35 they begin talking trends in Texas barbecue, like high priced brisket And discuss whether too much central Texas barbecue at 16:40

https://bryannorton.podbean.com/e/ep-134-qa/

Which was abandoned by Maple's to move to Plaza... I don't know why they made that decision because most days they were posting that they had sold out.
    if i remember right, maple's trailer was closed during the winter... maybe they thought there was an advantage to a year-round operation. other than that, it seemed to be doing pretty well in midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    maples "problem"

is that people in this city (state) dont really want to pay for BBQ
    Clark Crew in OKC invalidates this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Executionist View Post
    I should have added "Central Texas style" to my first post ... but also

how long has it been open??

get back to me in 6 months for the record i hope that i am wrong

6. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Executionist View Post
    Clark Crew just validates that we'll apparently pay a lot for mediocre BBQ, IMO.

7. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

This thread belongs in the Politics forum

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Clark Crew just validates that we'll apparently pay a lot for mediocre BBQ, IMO.
    Meh, I thought it was excellent the two times I ate at CC.

And I don’t normally get excited about Salad Bars or Deviled Eggs, but CC knows what it is doing in those areas.

9. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    This thread belongs in the Politics forum
    Any thread on BBQ or chili probably does... No other two foods divide people more quickly.

Any thread on BBQ or chili probably does... No other two foods divide people more quickly.
    Would also like to add pizza to the two you mention.

Would also like to add pizza to the two you mention.
    pizza is pretty much settled... everybody knows that chicago deep dish is the best.

*slowly backs away*

12. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    pizza is pretty much settled... everybody knows that chicago deep dish is the best.

*slowly backs away*
    I took this a step further... Go to The Heat in Edmond and order it with the Confused Crust.... It's Chicago Style with a New York Style crust.

3 words, In n Out

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    3 words, In n Out
    Well technically that's a restaurant..... But I do agree even discussing restaurants often times turns more heated than politics.

I took this a step further... Go to The Heat in Edmond and order it with the Confused Crust.... It's Chicago Style with a New York Style crust.
    wow... now that's something that could make people on all sides of that argument angry.

wow... now that's something that could make people on all sides of that argument angry.
    just make sure to add pineapple to that

*slowly backs away*
    Chicago style "pizza" is a casserole, not a pie.

Chicago style "pizza" is a casserole, not a pie.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    just make sure to add pineapple to that
    ha... perfect!

I ate at Maples at least a dozen times and each time was different: food ranged from bad to really good. The price (good BBQ isn't cheap) coupled with bad experiences meant I never went back.

They probably left $ on the table with the inconsistent bar service too: I never saw the bar busy and it always seemed like the bartender didn't know what they were doing.

Plaza District MAPLEs

Is there any word on what use to be Maples BBQ? Such great property with a great mural!!!

Sorry if this topic has been addressed.

Thread Information