Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

^

*drool*

2. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Decided to give this new location a try on opening day before word gets out.

Got there right after noon and the line was very short. Which is a good thing because even with a short line, we still got the last available table in the place. Might be an issue if they are really busy.

Buildout is nice, but doesn't seem polished yet to me. Almost looks temporary and not "Lived In." But I'm sure that will correct itself in time.

I got the fatty brisket (sliced) and burnt end beans and a drink. Came in a little pricey for a regular lunch thing for me, at $21.00 But, it was delicious! Brisket was the star of the show for certain.

Co-worker got the sausage and mac and cheese. I tried those too and really like it all.

Will definitely go back and would suggest this over other offerings in the immediate area.

Get the fatty brisket and you won't be disappointed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48252690_10217946021223835_1056797297548984320_n.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	15063

^

When the weather is decent the patio will help in terms of seating.

But I can see hanging out there for a while and I know others will do the same so I bet finding a spot to sit down is going to be a challenge at their busier times.

I think this is one of those concepts that is just substantially better as a brick and mortar, especially since they can sell food all day. I'd be shocked if they weren't a big hit, even with the higher prices (which IMO are completely fair given the quality).

4. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post

I just came back from Maples. Happy to report that the sausage has indeed changed, and I enjoy this one significantly more than the food truck days. Used to use fassler at the food truck and now use a company that I only remember has the words "mountain" and "elk" in it. Pete is right about how the line works.
    Unless they changed to using Fassler during the truck phase of this operation. They were sourcing their sausages from https://www.facebook.com/Native-Meat...6424242524244/ when they were in Midtown.

I will have to try this, maybe on Friday for a late lunch if it isn't too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I'm glad to have a bbq place while at work, and another while I'm at home now.
    That seems like a really dangerous combination.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Unless they changed to using Fassler during the truck phase of this operation. They were sourcing their sausages from https://www.facebook.com/Native-Meat...6424242524244/ when they were in Midtown.

Oh yeah I remember somebody saying that. Fassler was what I heard, and I was legit surprised. I enjoy the sausages at Fassler and is the majority reason of why I go there.

I went last night with my parents around 8pm, I was worried it would be completely packed but it was surprisingly quiet inside.
    I went with 1/2 lb brisket, 1/2 lb pork ribs, and the burnt end beans and I was just about maxed out on being able to eat it all.
    Not sure if he broke the rules or not, but my father ordered in 1/4 lb increments even though that wasn't on the menu and they didn't voice any concern?
    Sharing between the family, I think we tried everything except the pulled pork and the mac and cheese (which I will definitely be back for) and the biggest hits were the brisket and the burnt end beans. Everything was incredible though.
    I think I will need to make it a rule that if I want to go there I have to walk, or else Maples is going to wreak havoc on my wallet and waistline both haha.

8. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Not sure if he broke the rules or not, but my father ordered in 1/4 lb increments even though that wasn't on the menu and they didn't voice any concern?
    Not against the rules at all.... I don't even order in lb increments... I will tell them I want two slices of fatty brisket, 3 ribs, and a sausage.... They then weigh it and charge you by the weight..... It's a Texas BBQ thing.

Oklahomans are used to the multiple meat dinner option style of ordering.

Not against the rules at all.... I don't even order in lb increments... I will tell them I want two slices of fatty brisket, 3 ribs, and a sausage.... They then weigh it and charge you by the weight..... It's a Texas BBQ thing.

Oklahomans are used to the multiple meat dinner option style of ordering.
    as someone who eats far less than I use to I am glad for this method. Because I can stay in line with what I will actually eat.. ( not that taking home food is a bad thing )

10. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    as someone who eats far less than I use to I am glad for this method. Because I can stay in line with what I will actually eat.. ( not that taking home food is a bad thing )
    Exactly... That's why I prefer it to the multiple meat dinner option.... That and since I've gone keto I rarely eat the sides.

A bit of back history as to this ordering option.... Most BBQ joints in the early days of Texas BBQ were butcher shops... So they were selling their smoked meats (Usually meat that was about to spoil) the same way as they did their fresh meats..... Weighed and the price calculated by the lb..

It just occurred to me that this would be a fantastic place to take visitors.

There aren't many places in OKC that offer cuisine that is unique to our region, but this is one and I bet most people would get a big kick out of it as part as the traveling experience. Just like people love Cattleman's.

Plus, you can also walk about the Plaza which is cool and unique it itself.

Blog Entries

^Agree. We took out of town visitors to The Press a few weeks ago for some comfort food and then walked the Plaza. They were very impressed. A little Pie Junkie didn’t hurt!

Enjoyed my first trip to the brick and mortar. The brisket is very good as I remembered it was, but it was super fatty, like way fattier than the Central Texas 'cue I favor. I actually took the first order back because the slices were like 50-60% fat. Who doesn't like fat? I certainly like the flavor it imparts, and i'm no fan of dried out brisket, but it was a little over the top. They hooked me up with some replacement slices that were way better, but still a touch fatty for my taste. We had the po salad and the slaw; the slaw was outstanding. The potato salad was a bit dry and rather bland. Next time I'll go for the beans. I should add we ordered a single pork rib and it was simply outstanding. Excited to have some quality barbecue in the hood.

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Enjoyed my first trip to the brick and mortar. The brisket is very good as I remembered it was, but it was super fatty, like way fattier than the Central Texas 'cue I favor. I actually took the first order back because the slices were like 50-60% fat. Who doesn't like fat?
    Did you specify where you wanted your slices from? If you specified you wanted it lean (from the flat) then yeah that's unacceptable.

Did you specify where you wanted your slices from? If you specified you wanted it lean (from the flat) then yeah that's unacceptable.
    I'll always order mine "with flava", but 60% fat is unacceptable no matter what end it comes from.

Went early last night. Everything was generally very good but it did seem like some of the meats had been sitting for a bit, specifically the pork rib I ordered. Had great flavor but was slightly overdone/a little too fall off the bone and was luke-warm. I suppose this is the trade off of being open regular hours though so I won't complain too much.

They were also out of sliced brisket, which I suppose says something good about the amount of business they were doing but I was disappointed nonetheless. I overheard the person working say they used older brisket for their chopped brisket - though I still had some and it was fantastic.

Although I liked the old sausage more than most I do agree the new sausage is an improvement - though similar to the rib could have been warmer. Also thought the mac and cheese was much improved.

I've enjoyed everything I've tried from here except for the mac n cheese.

made it back today and i think they're still the best in town. i ordered fatty brisket, sausage, ribs, and mac & cheese. that's about 3x what i usually get for lunch but it was kind of a celebratory day.

i'd say the weakest of the three meats was the sausage... it's definitely different (and better) than what they served before. it seemed to be a beef sausage that had some spice to it. this is way better than the typical sausage that most places serve but (imo) not quite the best in town. i still prefer what i've had at backdoor and iron star. i think the spice profile could have used a little more character and at this price point, i would've preferred to see a natural casing.

ribs and brisket were excellent. i absolutely love their pork ribs... not cooked to death like most places do and there was a nice slightly sweet/vinegar/pepper finish to the exterior. pretty much perfect, to me. the brisket was great, too... the fat had rendered nicely making the resulting texture unctuous but not to the point of being greasy. the bark was the perfect combination of spices and smoke, probably my favorite part. if i had to be picky, though, i would have liked a bit more smoke flavor in the meat itself. still an awesome piece of brisket.

i enjoyed the mac and cheese... it was more casserole-style (i think they bill it as 'custard') and had crispy bits from the pan that it was cooked in. personally, i liked the flavor that the browned cheese added to the dish. however, i felt that the sauce had broken during the cooking process and so it would've been nice if it had a slightly silkier consistancy... but still really tasty.

overall, i've really missed maple's and am glad that they're open again. now pardon me while i go back into my meat coma....

Blog Entries

Made it for the first time today and thought it was really good. We sampled a good bit of everything except the beef ribs. Pork ribs and brisket were top notch. Sausage and chicken very good too. I think our favorite side was Mac/cheese. Really glad they are open and putting out some great Q in Plaza.

20. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I finally found time to make it over to the new location and unfortunately was quite disappointed. I always loved their pulled pork sandwich at the original location and so of course that is what I ordered tonight. It was completely different and not good at all. It was about half the size it used to be, the sauce was completely different and the bread was just this limp excuse for a bun, which again was quite surprising considering how good the bread was before. I guess I'll need to try just ordering the meat if I manage to get over there again.

Finally made it in. I am a brisket lover and most of the OKC brisket just isn't my thing. I got the sliced brisket (Lean) and it was delicious. so many places the lean brisket is very dry and that wasn't the case. I was still moist and delicious. I also loved that I could order a 1/4 pound. my buddy who went with also loved the food.

I will say I am not completely in love with the interior. the picnic tables outside I think is just fine but I am not a fan of them inside. They are not inviting or comfortable and being a 6'3 man they sit so low its awkward. next trip I may just sit at the bar or take it to go. the inside is pretty stark which is fine but it doesn't all jive for me.

^

Because of the volume, I'm sure they don't want to create a hang-out spot, apart from the bar and outside.

And that's probably a good thing because otherwise people with food would have a hard time getting a place to sit.

23. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I think I'm going to finally hit them for lunch today and get some fatty brisket and try the new sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Because of the volume, I'm sure they don't want to create a hang-out spot, apart from the bar and outside.

And that's probably a good thing because otherwise people with food would have a hard time getting a place to sit.
    I considered that and assumed that was probably their goal and I'm sure it works.

Went Sat.

Area is really evolving and has a nice vibe. I imagine in time most of houses in area will be rehabbed or torn down/rebuilt. Great area to walk to several establishments.

Ended up parking on east side of Oak and Oar and easy walk over.

Wasn’t busy but had customers. Service was great. Food was great even got a 1.75lb “beef rib” to take home. They actually gave me more weight than that (1.89) but rounded down to 1.75. Mac was best I ever had. Meats were all great and moist. Even the cane root beer was great. Beans were great too.

Will go back. Great place to take out of towners. Like that its unique to OKC. If someone hasn’t been in this area before they might assume due to location its not nice yet will be completely secure and glad they went. If I lived here I might get fat with the options so close lol.

As downtown migrates north this is a really good spot. Outsiders might look at map and see its not right off any major interstate and not go. To me thats what makes it special is that fact, location. This area is like an oasis that pops up out of the desert.

I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

Hope people go in enough numbers to keep this place around. Really great vibe and the picnic tables were actually a cool touch.

Thread Information