Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Has anyone who's had both Maples here and Franklin in Austin - how do they compare?

Went by Friday as planned and had the fatty brisket, the sausage, and the mac & cheese. I was quite satisfied by all of it, though on a second visit I'd probably just cut out the mac & cheese and have more meat. In particular I really liked the sausage.

3. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Has anyone who's had both Maples here and Franklin in Austin - how do they compare?
    If my schedule permits me to... I'll let you know this week as I plan on trying to go..... But I've had a few wrenches thrown in my schedule already.

Franklin in Austin is much better in my opinion, but I think Maple's has the best BBQ in the state of Oklahoma.

I have read all ten pages about Maples. Some of my random thoughts: I have been to most of the "name" BBQ's in Kansas City. Which one has been picked as the best by a lot of people in recent years-Joes KC which was originally founded by an Oklahoman as Oklahoma Joes. Joes, Fiorella Jack Stack, and LC's are my favorite Kansas City BBQ's. Yes, sauce is important to me. To me, it is not BBQ without sauce, it is smoked meat. A lot of the Central Texas places do not call themselves BBQs. They are "Meat Markets." That is why I like Arthur Bryant's ok because they have good meats but their sauce is terrible to me. My favorite Central Texas BBQ is Smitty's Meat Market in Lockhart. Leo's is my favorite BBQ in Oklahoma City. I think it is as good as any I have been to in Kansas City and Central Texas except Smitty's. I have not been to Franklin's and am not sure I would wait three hours to get BBQ. Some of the Central Texas places serve beef sausage, not pork sausage. I assume Maples has pork sausage. Rudy's was started in Leon Springs outside of San Antonio by Phil Romano who started Fuddruckers and Romano's Macaroni Grill. I have had good BBQ all over the Sate of Oklahoma including Oklahoma City. I think some people just like to run down local places wherever they are.

Bigray in Ok

I am looking forward to trying Maples. I like burnt ends which I have only had at Backdoor BBQ in OKC in recent years.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Jheat View Post
    Franklin in Austin is much better in my opinion, but I think Maple's has the best BBQ in the state of Oklahoma.
    Have you been to Wellston?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Have you been to Wellston?
    Yes, I have been to Butcher BBQ Stand and it was okay. I had brisket there and it was mediocre, and I got beans for my side and I thought they were decent. I want to go back to try more of their menu when I have time. I went to Maple's before they opened and I got to try almost everything but the sausage and desserts. I tried the sausage yesterday at Maple's and I was not fan, but others might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I am looking forward to trying Maples. I like burnt ends which I have only had at Backdoor BBQ in OKC in recent years.

Bigray in Ok
    The burnt ends are in the beans, and even then, it's not a lot.

Was in Austin over the weekend and got Franklin BBQ. Had a little bit of everything. Hoping to try maples this week to compare

Have you been to Burn Co in Tulsa? How does it compare?

12. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Have you been to Burn Co in Tulsa? How does it compare?
    BurnCo is opening a second location on the Jenks Riverwalk in July...... I'm already planning an aquarium and BBQ trip.

Yes, I have been to Butcher BBQ Stand and it was okay. I had brisket there and it was mediocre, and I got beans for my side and I thought they were decent. I want to go back to try more of their menu when I have time. I went to Maple's before they opened and I got to try almost everything but the sausage and desserts. I tried the sausage yesterday at Maple's and I was not fan, but others might like it.
    I guess that is an excellent example of the subjectivity of "who has the best". I found Butchers to have the best brisket I have come across. I have not travelled to Texas and explored various "Q raunts". I will certainly give Maples a try. Because I cut my teeth on Carolina Q I have a preference for pork and favor a vinegar based sauce.

14. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

I guess that is an excellent example of the subjectivity of "who has the best". I found Butchers to have the best brisket I have come across. I have not travelled to Texas and explored various "Q raunts". I will certainly give Maples a try. Because I cut my teeth on Carolina Q I have a preference for pork and favor a vinegar based sauce.

Yeah... It's why I'll never declare anything the best when asked for recommendations... I know what I like and I do like Butcher's brisket... Not as much as I like brisket I've had in Texas but it's my favorite in Oklahoma.

I'm hoping some Carolina style will make a return to OKC.... Not aware of anyone really doing that style here at the moment. That hole in the wall in a strip center up on North Western was knocking it out of the park before they moved out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah... It's why I'll never declare anything the best when asked for recommendations... I know what I like and I do like Butcher's brisket... Not as much as I like brisket I've had in Texas but it's my favorite in Oklahoma.

I'm hoping some Carolina style will make a return to OKC.... Not aware of anyone really doing that style here at the moment. That hole in the wall in a strip center up on North Western was knocking it out of the park before they moved out of state.
    I really enjoyed Butcher's but I would like to try Burn Co's brisket. They had run out by the time I got there at 12:30 (or maybe it was 1:00). I did like their ribs better than Butcher's. I'm not a fan of North Carolina style and definitely not a fan of their sauce. To be fair, I have only had it at three or four different places, Asheville, Winston-Salem, and one other town (the name of the town escapes me). I didn't bother to remember the restaurant names because I didn't plan on returning. I thought my first experience was just not very good but as I tried others I realized that's the style in NC. It must be good, just not for my tastebuds. I also am not a vinegar fan whether it's in a bbq sauce or anything else. Odd exception, I like vinegar and oil salad dressing. What was the name of "That hole in the wall in a strip center up on North Western"? And where on Western was it located? Just curious, I probably ate there since it doesn't sound like it was far from where I worked. I remember the Hickory Tree at Western and Hefner but I don't remember it as being NC style.
    C. T.

16. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    What was the name of "That hole in the wall in a strip center up on North Western"? And where on Western was it located? Just curious, I probably ate there since it doesn't sound like it was far from where I worked. I remember the Hickory Tree at Western and Hefner but I don't remember it as being NC style.
    C. T.

Moe's Smokehouse Chicken & BBQ
    .... It was only there for a few months.

They are serving the best brisket in Oklahoma, and it isn't really that close. I haven't tried Maples yet.

18. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5266[1].JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	13836

Went and gave it a try today.... Going to try and come out of my blogging retirement with this so not going into a lot of detail here yet but overall I enjoyed it. Some room for improvement but I would definitely recommend it to anyone asking me about BBQ.

I will answer the question asked earlier as to how it compares to Franklin's..... It doesn't... Yet.... Aaron's been cooking briskets for a while. So he has a big step up on them... Flavor on the brisket was excellent. I had some texture issues though.

those are some good looking ribs, but that sausage looks kind of funky.

20. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    those are some good looking ribs, but that sausage looks kind of funky.
    HA! You are not the first to make that comment... That was the first comment I got on my FB page. lol

Ribs were good and not falling off the bone as others have reported.

2Lanez Guest

What's the verdict on style of sausage? Central Texas or not?

22. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by 2Lanez View Post
    What's the verdict on style of sausage? Central Texas or not?
    Not... There was never any doubt about that once it was known to be andouille.

23. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Ok.... I've published the blog so here is a quick synopsis of my opinions.

Brisket: Taste was excellent and definitely true to Central Texas... Texture needs some work. I found the flat to be a bit dry and the point a bit mushy... Both qualities of it being overcooked... If they get the texture right they will be putting out a very solid Central Texas style brisket

Ribs: Did not fall off the bone today. Moist, tender, slightly sweet flavor... Enjoyed every bite of them.

Sausage: As Martin already commented about the appearance. The sausage was funky and I did not care for it at all.

Pulled Pork: Just as others had said it was dry but I dipped it in that thin, vinegary, sauce they served me and it was money. Amazing how much that sauce worked to complement that pork!

Mac & Cheese: Loved it... pasta wasn't quite al dente but wasn't overcooked either... Tasted like a 3 cheese and it was smooth, creamy, and tangy.

24. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Ok.... I've published the blog so here is a quick synopsis of my opinions.

Brisket: Taste was excellent and definitely true to Central Texas... Texture needs some work. I found the flat to be a bit dry and the point a bit mushy... Both qualities of it being overcooked... If they get the texture right they will be putting out a very solid Central Texas style brisket

Ribs: Did not fall off the bone today. Moist, tender, slightly sweet flavor... Enjoyed every bite of them.

Sausage: As Martin already commented about the appearance. The sausage was funky and I did not care for it at all.

Pulled Pork: Just as others had said it was dry but I dipped it in that thin, vinegary, sauce they served me and it was money. Amazing how much that sauce worked to complement that pork!

Mac & Cheese: Loved it... pasta wasn't quite al dente but wasn't overcooked either... Tasted like a 3 cheese and it was smooth, creamy, and tangy.
    Sounds good. I think they just need to hit those timings and temps it sounds like. I'm sure in a few months they will have it down perfectly.

I hope the lunch style works for them. I know people in OKC aren't used to just lunch hours for BBQ and might be off put by the odd hours.

25. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Sounds good. I think they just need to hit those timings and temps it sounds like. I'm sure in a few months they will have it down perfectly.

I hope the lunch style works for them. I know people in OKC aren't used to just lunch hours for BBQ and might be off put by the odd hours.
    Yep... I feel the same... They should just keep getting better.

They definitely weren't as busy as they were for opening day but they were doing a fairly brisk business.... Line was about 5 deep when I got there around 11:40 and was consistently about 10 deep while I was there.

I think the quality, and uniqueness, of the food will keep people coming back.... I was listening to people around me and there were nothing but great comments to be heard.

Thread Information