Blog Entries

Default Re: Container Store

Oh yeah, those pesky sex shops that keep ruining great neighborhoods :-P

^^^^^

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Maybe if the neighbors knew it was to be a Container Store, they'd be a bit less worried. Those signing the petition could be thinking, say, Christie's Toy Box or the like. Not a cool place to buy stuff to organize your life.
    A store that sells boxes. Yippee.

4. Default Re: Container Store

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    Never been to one have you?

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    To each his own, but I personally find all that stuff they come up with to sell fascinating. Overwhelming, almost, but yet fascinating.

I love the container store!. organization items are fun for me.. maybe I am odd

If you'd like to support approval of the development, here is a link to the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/p...y-sought-after

Wish there would more support petitions for more projects that come under scrutiny.

Retail project gets zoning approval at Penn Square

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 12, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – An unnamed retailer is one step closer to being next to Penn Square Mall, following the approval of a zoning change at the site.

The Oklahoma City Planning Commission approved changing the zoning from office-1 and office-2 to a simplified planned unit development. The SPUD has a retail use only. The City Council still has to approve the change.

Simon Property Group is constructing a 23,000-square-foot building. The tenant has not been named.

Simon hired Oklahoma City attorney David Box to represent the company during the meeting. He said the zoning request change was consistent with the comprehensive plan for Penn Square Mall because it is bringing in a retail service.

“I asked the city if I went to them with an (office-1 or office-2) project what they would say, and city staff said they would have asked for something more,” he said.

He told the commission about several concessions the company was willing to offer in order to please the neighbors. Simon agreed to lower the light brightness one hour after closing. The company will build an 8-foot-tall screening wall on the east side of the trash receptacles. The SPUD will also limit the trash service to Monday to Saturdays, and excludes holidays.

Simon offered to build a 400-foot-long, 6-foot-tall fence separating the property from the neighborhood. Box said not all neighbors favored the fence, so Simon wanted to wait for the residents to make a decision.

“But once the store opens, the offer is revoked,” he said, adding that the project’s budget would be spent by that time. He pointed out that there’s already a tree line at the creek.

Box said Simon will also give the neighbors a contact name at Penn Square and with Simon Property Group should there be problems.

Several neighbors spoke at Thursday’s meeting, voicing their opposition to the zoning change. A petition was presented previously to the commission that had signatures from 27 percent of people who live within the zoning change’s legal boundaries.

Lester Murray said he’s heard people mention that times are tough and the city needs the sales tax money from the retailer.

“I think that’s the argument someone comes up with when they don’t have a good argument,” he said. “That sets a low bar.”

Commissioner Janis Powers said she’s listened to the neighbors’ concerns and this is a better solution than what could have happened with the existing office zoning. The two zoning types would allow for a six-story office tower.

Commissioner Bob Bright agreed with Powers, emphasizing the office building that could have been constructed.

This project got final approval from City Council yesterday so should start to go forward soon.

And I suppose they will finally formally announce that it is and always has been the Container Store.

Where is the Container Store located in Tulsa?

12. Default Re: Container Store

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Simon hired Oklahoma City attorney David Box to represent the company during the meeting. .
    Anyone else as happy about this as I am? Something about a man named Box representing a container store tickles me.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Where is the Container Store located in Tulsa?
    Tulsa doesn't have one.

Container Store has filed for their building permit:

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...nn-Square-Mall

16. Default Re: Container Store

Does anyone have knowledge of the history of this store? I have memory of taking an entrepreneurship (sp?) class at OU. A woman in the class had the project to create the Container Store. She and her Mom opened a store or 3 in the Dallas area before selling out to the group that probably owns it now. Can anyone verify?

I can't verify the history but can tell you definitively that there was a C-store in Dallas in 1988 at Mockingbird Lane and Central Expressway. It was my first year of college at SMU and everybody wanted to get stuff for their dorm rooms there.

18. Default Re: Container Store

I'm mistaken. Nevermind.

Yep, the Container Store was still there on Mockingbird my freshman year at SMU in 1995. We bought stuff there for my dorm room.

I found this history from their site: http://standfor.containerstore.com/page/about-us

Here are the plans from the building permit; I created the overlay:

Bids for General Contractors on October 23rd

Construction fence going up this morning. Looks like the entire parking lot north of UMB will be fenced off. That'll make the peak shopping days and days right after Christmas interesting at Penn Square.

YAS!

Construction trailer on site too.

will they be breaking ground before christmas?
    i hope not. that is the best and easiest exit out of the mall.

Thread Information