Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2016

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2016

Yeah, I keep coming outside and looking at RadarScope and wondering WTHey?

A single cell has fired in SW OK. Near Anadarko now. This will likely be a big storm by the time it enters the metro. Bears watching. I am out atm, but will be back in chat soon.

3. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2016

Got a bit of hail out on i-44 i-235 exchange last night. A lot of rain came down. Then as I went south it was clear. This was about 9pm

Models suggesting a few storms popping up along and west of I-44 this evening, not everyone will see them, like last night. Also the severity should not be as high on development today.

Wow, it's October and it warmed up to 91 in Stillwater today, or at least in my backyard. With a high chance of thunderstorms forecast for Thursday night, hopefully they won't turn real mean. Last night, it rained nearly 3 inches at Red Rock in the first county north of me. Only .20" here. So would settle for it getting a little meaner with the rain. The annual amount rate is still running behind here.

Today will be the last day of warmer temps until next week.

Storms will develop out in NW TX and W OK this afternoon and cluster up into likely a line of storms that sweeps across the state. There are places in NC OK that have received 7" of rain in the last 24 hours, and will be very likely to flood again.

Some models are suggesting redevelopment of rain and storms after the initial line, somewhere across C and SW OK.

There is a slight risk for severe storms with the main threat being high winds. As always, any storms remaining discreet (especially early out west) will have the potential for larger hail.

Some of Stillwater got a little over 2" of rain , most of it from a second storm, so is in a flood watch, covering 5 northern counties. The outlook map has strongest activity in eastern Kansas on into states northeast of there. Dew points are high.

FLOOD WATCH:
    Updated: Thu Oct-06-16 10:05am CDT
    Effective: Thu Oct-06-16 10:05am CDT
    Expires: Thu Oct-06-16 10:26pm CDT

Severity: Moderate
    Urgency: Future
    Certainty: Possible

Type: Alert
    Category: Met
    Areas affected: Garfield; Grant; Kay; Noble; Payne

Instructions: Monitor weather forecasts and information. Make plans to get to higher ground if flooding happens.

Message summary: ...flood watch in effect from 4 pm cdt this afternoon through this evening...
    The national weather service in norman has issued a
    * flood watch for flash flooding...flooding of creeks and rivers...and flooding of low lying areas for portions of central oklahoma and northern oklahoma...including the following areas...in central oklahoma...payne. In northern oklahoma...garfield...grant...kay and noble.
    * from 4 pm cdt this afternoon through this evening
    * additional heavy rain will be possible this afternoon and this evening.
    * additional rainfall of 1 to 3 inches will be possible in areas that received several inches of rain this morning.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued for basically the western half of OK until 10pm.

Wrong thread!

Not Oklahoma related, but yall seen the most recent models forecasting Hurricane Matthew? I've never seen anything like it

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Not Oklahoma related, but yall seen the most recent models forecasting Hurricane Matthew? I've never seen anything like it
    There have been similar hurricanes, but not recently.

It looks like it will make technical landfall near Melbourne and ride the beaches all the way up the SE coast.

I'm talking about the models showing it getting to about the Outer Banks then making a hard right and heading back towards Florida.

Yea, it will die before it comes back around, though.

Cold front just passing through OKC right now, storms and rain lighting up behind it. Enjoy the cooler temps in the morning! Windows open kinda night.

I think the major damage from the hurricane will be when it reaches the Carolinas. The majority of precip. is on the north and east sides of a hurricane. They will be slammed with flooding rain and wind, whereas Florida will mostly be wind.

Not to mention that there would be no energy left in the waters which it would have already consumed....meaning it would be a tropical depression by the time it reached Florida again.

all the businesses that profit from doomsday forecasts won again

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    all the businesses that profit from doomsday forecasts won again
    The threat was real. Luckily it stayed just offshore. 50 miles to the west would have made a huge difference. When you consider how large the ocean. Is, 50 miles is nothing really.

19. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September & October 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I'm talking about the models showing it getting to about the Outer Banks then making a hard right and heading back towards Florida.
    This wouldn't be unusual. I was in St Pete in 2004. Charlie was supposed to hit Tampa but took a hard right ~100 miles South and ended up hitting Port Charlotte. Tampa evacuated to the Lakeland/Orlando areas and ended up getting hit by the hurricane anyway. I am glad I stayed. I did lose power for a couple of days, but that wasn't unusual. The Apt complex I lived in had underground power and where one of the boxes was it flooded there a lot and that container wasn't very water proof.

Cold front entering OKC within the next hour. And I mean actual cold front, not a cool front.

Temperatures will rebound Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Cold front entering OKC within the next hour. And I mean actual cold front, not a cool front.

Temperatures will rebound Friday and Saturday.
    Went in a restaurant to eat and when I came out, it was Fall!

it's just a tease.

Supposed to be near 90 by the end of the weekend.

Wish fall would get here for real!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    it's just a tease.

Supposed to be near 90 by the end of the weekend.

Wish fall would get here for real!
    These much cooler and all day CLOUDY fall days don't appeal to me at all. So far, I don't need to turn on the furnace.

Cold light rain moving into OKC over the next few hours. May see a little more overnight, but no amounts to write home about.

Tomorrow looks fantastic and southerly winds will kick back up about mid day with Saturday being extremely windy while continuing the warming trend.

Didn't think there was enough daylight left in the day for 90 degree temps. Wish it would make up its mind.

Thread Information