Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: OKC Roads and Highways

Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

Since I now work near the SE corner of Grand Blvd, does anyone know the history on when and why Grand Blvd was constructed? I know it forms an almost complete ring around the city, but I would like to know more the back story on it and I am interested in seeing photos/news clippings of the project. Also, why is so much of Grand under-developed for such a prominent ring around OKC? It seems like a good portion of it needs to be re-paved.

Dang, you are right. I was speaking directly to the dam road. The road between Britton and the golf course road is tore up.

The SB on Broadway Ext to EB Kilpatrick ramp has been complete for 2 weeks. They finished the RFID reader installation last week. Yet it is still closed to traffic.

Does it have something to do letting the concrete cure?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Since I now work near the SE corner of Grand Blvd, does anyone know the history on when and why Grand Blvd was constructed? I know it forms an almost complete ring around the city, but I would like to know more the back story on it and I am interested in seeing photos/news clippings of the project. Also, why is so much of Grand under-developed for such a prominent ring around OKC? It seems like a good portion of it needs to be re-paved.
    This isn't tons of information, but it can provide you with a bit of history. Click on the video link just above the map. https://www.okcbike.org/content.aspx...dule_id=243752

6. Default Re: OKC Roads and Highways

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I haven't figured out how to post an actual picture on here, but this should take you to an old map of the original plan for the "outer parkway."

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

From okc.gov

At the local level, Oklahoma City officials and businessmen were actively developing a system of improved roadways, as well as parks and boulevards, for the city. In a 1910 article, Oklahoma City Parks Commission Board President Will H. Clark described the current state of the city’s roadway network and infrastructure system as, “84 miles of asphalt paved streets, 25 miles of brick paved streets, .75 miles of macadam, 350 miles of cement and brick walks, no board walks, 40 miles of sewers, and 83 miles of water pipes.”7 This illustrates the rapid of development of the city as city officials and businessmen strove to establish Oklahoma City as a major, progressive metropolis for the region.

Part of those efforts also included the development of a premier park and boulevard system. In a 1910 report entitled Oklahoma City: A Report on its Plan for an Outer Parkway and a Plan for an Interior System of Parks and Boulevards, Kansas City landscape architect W.H. Dunn laid out plans for public improvements focused on beautifying the city, promoting civic pride, and improving the health and safety of residents and visitors.8 One feature of the plan was the construction of the 28-mile-long Grand Boulevard, a loop that would connect four large parks (Woodson, Trosper, Lincoln and Will Rogers) and a number of smaller ones surrounding the city. Grand Boulevard would later serve as the foundation for the third through fifth realignments of Route 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm pretty sure the road is open from Britton north around the dam but is now or still closed from Britton south.
    Thanks, this makes sense. I like to walk along the sidewalk north of Britton, so I'm happy to hear that portion is back open, will have to make a point to do that before the summer heat really sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I haven't figured out how to post an actual picture on here, but this should take you to an old map of the original plan for the "outer parkway."

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

From okc.gov

At the local level, Oklahoma City officials and businessmen were actively developing a system of improved roadways, as well as parks and boulevards, for the city. In a 1910 article, Oklahoma City Parks Commission Board President Will H. Clark described the current state of the city’s roadway network and infrastructure system as, “84 miles of asphalt paved streets, 25 miles of brick paved streets, .75 miles of macadam, 350 miles of cement and brick walks, no board walks, 40 miles of sewers, and 83 miles of water pipes.”7 This illustrates the rapid of development of the city as city officials and businessmen strove to establish Oklahoma City as a major, progressive metropolis for the region.

Part of those efforts also included the development of a premier park and boulevard system. In a 1910 report entitled Oklahoma City: A Report on its Plan for an Outer Parkway and a Plan for an Interior System of Parks and Boulevards, Kansas City landscape architect W.H. Dunn laid out plans for public improvements focused on beautifying the city, promoting civic pride, and improving the health and safety of residents and visitors.8 One feature of the plan was the construction of the 28-mile-long Grand Boulevard, a loop that would connect four large parks (Woodson, Trosper, Lincoln and Will Rogers) and a number of smaller ones surrounding the city. Grand Boulevard would later serve as the foundation for the third through fifth realignments of Route 66.
    Too bad our Grand Boulevard didn't grow into the major boulevards you see in Barcelona with a tram/street car route, definitely would make todays street car a little more sensical.

Thread Information