Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

1. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

^^^^^^^
    Good player on a rookie deal. Frees up cap space.

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

Big test tonight and tomorrow, the goal is to try and stay competitive, our team is young and still learning. Honestly I don't care if we lose by 40 to GSW tomorrow, I just want Russ to dunk on KD with the force of a thousand suns.

The Ilyasova for Grant deal will probably work out, but I really don't like the Thunder mortgaging all their future draft picks for marginal players like Grant (who is a restricted free agent this summer) and Lauvergne. Presti has been amazing in the draft and the Thunder are giving up the best contracts in the NBA when they're going to need cheap contracts. Also, what if Grant has a great season and some team makes him a big offer the Thunder don't match. We gave up one to two picks for one season of Grant. (His dad Harvey played for OU, BTW, and he played in high school with Oladipo).

In the short term, the Thunder are really going to struggle with spacing. WIthout Ilyasova stretching the floor, the lanes are really going to be bogged down for all the Thunder's slashers and big men. While the may pay off long term, I think this could hurt the Thunder until they make another move. The Thunder are not a sure thing for the playoffs and this move could even tip them the wrong way... Or not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Big test tonight and tomorrow, the goal is to try and stay competitive, our team is young and still learning. Honestly I don't care if we lose by 40 to GSW tomorrow, I just want Russ to dunk on KD with the force of a thousand suns.
    Love it!

I think they consider Grant the rim protector to replace Ibaka. Look for another trade coming up to replace Ilyasova as a wing spacing shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I think they consider Grant the rim protector to replace Ibaka. Look for another trade coming up to replace Ilyasova as a wing spacing shooter.
    That was my thought. It seems like we're clearing up space to make room for a bigger trade. With the Thunder being $7.1mm under the cap, if we package Andre/Kanter/Singler, we would have the ability to get a very solid wing player. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    That was my thought. It seems like we're clearing up space to make room for a bigger trade. With the Thunder being $7.1mm under the cap, if we package Andre/Kanter/Singler, we would have the ability to get a very solid wing player. We'll see what happens.
    What? I really doubt Presti is willing to ship off Kanter or Roberson. In fact, I think Roberson is ripe for an extension with OKC.

What? I really doubt Presti is willing to ship off Kanter or Roberson. In fact, I think Roberson is ripe for an extension with OKC.
    They weren't able to agree on terms for an extension by the deadline. He'll be a Restricted Free Agent this summer, and I would be surprised if the Thunder would match his offers. I could be wrong, but I could see them trying to get some value for him throughout the season if the opportunity arises.

Edit: Haha...I see Sooner and I posted almost the exact same thing at almost the exact same time, though he beat me to it by a minute.

The time for extension passed on Monday. Roberson is not getting an extension. If we want to keep him, we will almost certainly have to match an opposing teams offer sheet after July 1. I speculate that he was asking for too much in the extension negotiations and Presti decided he would let the market determine his worth and match if it is reasonable. I think there's a strong chance he won't be with us next year or even the rest of this year as Presti seeks a trade for a shooter.

Robes wanted 15 mil. per year for 4 years contract. Thunder offered 11.7 mil per year for 3 year contract.

Defensive players do not get the money that offensive players do. It's best to see what the new cap brings and what he's worth on the open market.

The Thunder tried to sign him, just too much of a gap between parties.

Grant certainly could be a Roberson replacement. They share a lot of similarities. Kanter, Roberson, and Payne are our best assets and probably the only ones that could really get a decent return. I don't like these rumors about Payne potentially being on the trading block because I think he could be really good. I really do think Kanter is available to other teams for the right price. He's a good offensive player, but his defensive deficiencies make him more of a luxury than a need. He's still only playing around 20 minutes a game....

This roster kind of doesn't make sense right now. I would be really surprised if there's not another move coming.

Ah sorry, I did not realize the deadline had already passed. Makes sense, this is the same thing that happened with Harden where he was traded I think the day of or before the deadline right around Halloween.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I really do think Kanter is available to other teams for the right price. He's a good offensive player, but his defensive deficiencies make him more of a luxury than a need. He's still only playing around 20 minutes a game....
    Yeah... I'm not expecting to see Kanter in a Thunder uniform by the end of the season.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ...I don't like these rumors about Payne potentially being on the trading block because I think he could be really good...
    The rumors are very credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The rumors are very credible.
    Payne for Gay.

It looks like Robersons days are numbered so they might as well give his minutes to Grant once he's up to speed. He should have taken that Thunder offer if it was indeed between 11-12 per. I am not sure he will get the 15 mil per he is asking and the Thunder would have been foolish to give him that. I would give him about 4-5 mil. per. He's a one trick pony and I don't ever see him as a reliable outside shooter or even a 75% FT shooter.

The Thunder must have a lot of confidence in Semaj's ability to play the backup PG position after waiving Price (and essentially paying him $5mm for summer league). Although I think Payne is much better than Semaj and will add a good boost to the second unit, he could be a great asset in a trade.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

The Semaj-Payne decision apparently involves more than just on-court stuff at this point. And yeah, the Thunder has lots of confidence in Semaj, and very importantly Russ reportedly LOVES the dude. If Payne comes back from surgery and looks as good as he did before, he is a very attractive trade piece. I think we can make a good move with him, cap space and perhaps another piece somewhere. Also possible Kanter could be packaged for blockbuster, though I would hate to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Semaj-Payne decision apparently involves more than just on-court stuff at this point. And yeah, the Thunder has lots of confidence in Semaj, and very importantly Russ reportedly LOVES the dude. If Payne comes back from surgery and looks as good as he did before, he is a very attractive trade piece. I think we can make a good move with him, cap space and perhaps another piece somewhere. Also possible Kanter could be packaged for blockbuster, though I would hate to lose him.
    I have been unimpressed with Semaj. He's another guard who can't shoot and that really hurts because it means defenderss can go under every pick and roll. And if he's not a good pick and roll player, shooter, or slasher, what is he good at? I'm not convinced he's a legit NBA player, but I really haven't seen much to suggest he's good enough to fill in for Russ if he were to miss 5 games, for example.

What is the off-court stuff? It seems clear the team disagreed with Payne's decision not to have surgery, but is there more than that?

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2016-17

Not my place to discuss. Just saying don't be shocked if he's dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Payne for Gay.

It looks like Robersons days are numbered so they might as well give his minutes to Grant once he's up to speed. He should have taken that Thunder offer if it was indeed between 11-12 per. I am not sure he will get the 15 mil per he is asking and the Thunder would have been foolish to give him that. I would give him about 4-5 mil. per. He's a one trick pony and I don't ever see him as a reliable outside shooter or even a 75% FT shooter.
    Ugh. While I think Gay could help a little in the very short term, I wouldn't like this move at all. Gay just isn't very good and could we even re-sign him? If he opts out of his contract then he'll want 20 million next season (or else he'd just opt-in to his $14 million).

Moreover, I think Roberson is really underrated. Most of all of the best Thunder lineups include Roberson. He's an elite defender, good slasher, and has really improved his passing and decision-making. Everyone focuses on the one thing he can't do (shoot) and ignores that he's good at almost everything else. Maybe Grant can do the same things as Roberson, but it also might take him 3-4 years to get there? It's like KD said, the Thunder just keep getting younger.

Roberson is extremely underrated. Donovan has shown that all the years of Brooks using him incorrectly has really hurt the guy's game. When he is cutting to the basket and getting those backdoor oops, it is a thing of beauty. Sometimes he reverts to his old self and rots away at the three point line for an entire possession, but that is just zombie Brooks coming through.

I 100% do not want Gay, and I want to keep Roberson and Kanter. Being the best rebounding team in the league is sorely needed with how our team is setup. Russell jacking up crazy shots that miss are much easier to take when we have these guys down there ripping down the rebound for a second chance or a put-back. Think of how many times Kanter has put-back Russ' and others' misses. That is his entire purpose.

Grant looks to be a bigger better version of Roberson. That is the word anyway. I guess we will see about that. If Roberson would go to the basket more and learn to hit FTs at an 80% clip he would be a better player. But I am convinced he is not starting material and never will be. I doubt that Grant is either.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Grant looks to be a bigger better version of Roberson. That is the word anyway. I guess we will see about that. If Roberson would go to the basket more and learn to hit FTs at an 80% clip he would be a better player. But I am convinced he is not starting material and never will be. I doubt that Grant is either.
    I'm not sure what you mean that Roberson is not starting material? He started for a top 3 NBA team last season and that starting lineup was one of the best lineups in basketball. And, people aren't going to like this, but Grant is a worse three point shooter than Roberson. I do understand the frustrations with Roberson, and they'll be more obvious on this year's team that just lost two of the best shooters. Grant does have a lot of potential though and he seems to be a really good rim protector. It'd be nice to keep both of them and add a wing shooter... then I'd like this Grant deal a lot more.

Okay, I'll just say this while watching Jerami Grant play: Among the most athletic athletes in the world, Grant's athleticism is mesmerizing.

A great and unexpected 85-83 win tonight in LA. The Thunder are now the only undefeated team in the west.

Thread Information