Widgets Magazine

Thread: Which OKC/Tulsa theaters showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Default Which OKC/Tulsa theaters showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

I only started going to the midnight showings in the early 80's and can remember a few theaters that it played:

The May Theater
    Will Rogers Theater
    Quail Springs Theater
    ... maybe The Tower Theater (very briefly)?

It was one of the best experiences I ever had. The crowd in the early 80's were wild and untamed (get it?) -- nothing like the mellow tame crowds today watching it on Halloween at The Sooner Theater.

Remember someone hitting the screen with a roll of toilet paper ... *lights on* ... Manager screams: "These screens cost over $20,000!!! Don't throw anything at the screen!" ... soon toilet paper rolls were banned. Can't say I blame 'em.

Anyhow, there will never be another movie that can capture so much audience participation like Rocky Horror did.

Can anyone remember which theaters it played in OKC/Tulsa?

Default Re: Which OKC/Tulsa theaters showed The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

They used to show it at Stubbeman Village in Norman in the 70's and I believe early 80's.

It was definitely at the Tower Theater for a time, as well as an AMC near Quail Springs that no longer exists. The one in mind was a discrete building, not in the mall. Also a small theater in Norman that is no longer there, I want to say it was called Carnival or Carousel? At that one, toilet paper rolls were very welcome, because the manager harvested them after the show and used them in the restrooms.

There was a theater in Moore in the shopping center just west of I 35 that we used to go see it at.

Only ones I ever saw it at were the May and Will Rogers. I think it played Will Rogers after it ended at the May, and I think the May was the one that actually turned the sprinklers on for a few seconds when it was raining on screen. Also saw it at the Zoo Amphitheatre one year, but I don't think that was ongoing.

We went to the Centre Theater at 415 Couch Drive, Oklahoma City every Saturday night in the mid 70's to watch the midnight movies.. the The Rocky Horror Picture Show played quit often. We would dress up as the characters. the police were there a lot because the bible bangers would harass us a lot. and we would antagonize them. Everyone would bring at lest 1 joint to smoke once the movie started and pass it around, most there got stoned. and some police were in the theater watching to make sure we didn't get out of hand. I have a lot of fond memories of that place, when the last movie was over the sun would just coming up. Guess that place worked out for the police, 200 people in that theater high mint we were not out driving around high, win win

I only saw it in a theater once when I lived in Tulsa, but I believe it was at the Circle Cinema on Lewis Avenue.

Blog Entries

In Tulsa:

Williams Center Forum Cinema (now office space for Williams)
    The Bowman Twin (Now laser tag)
    Country Club Plaza Fox 4 (Now a gym)
    Woodland Hills Cinema (Now a Wal-Mart)
    Circle Cinema

I saw it at the old French Market theater at 63rd and May.

I saw it at The Will Rogers Theatre, audience participation was at it's zenith. It would later move to the theatre that was the separate building at Quail Springs Mall and it was a bit disappointing. IIRC the only film that I saw at The Tower Theatre was something along the lines of "The Stewardesses: In 3D". The proper 3D eye attire was provided with your ticket purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They used to show it at Stubbeman Village in Norman in the 70's and I believe early 80's.
    That's where I saw it.

Thread Information