Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pizza 9

I40Meridian Pizza 9

The former Arby's at 1309 S Meridian will soon be a Pizza 9. Looks like it's a New Mexico chain.

http://www.pizzanine.com/locations

Default Re: Pizza 9

Chicago-style deep dish pizza!

I'll reserve judgement for when they open but after looking at their website, I wasn't able to see a single picture of Chicago style pizza. I'm a huge fan of the Chicago deep dish and thin crust style pizzas, and I would love for a place in OKC to do at least one of these right. Humble Pie in edmond does a good deep dish but is too far to frequent regularly. A lot of people seem to claim they do Chicago style pizza but actually don't, and most people don't know the difference. They do have a picture of an Italian beef sandwich and say they do "combos" as well, so that's promising. But really surprised to not see a picture of a deep dish pizza on their site. I see a picture of what looks like stuffed crust pizza, which I actually really enjoy. But I can get that at Pizza Hut.

I shouldn't have said deep dish; just says Chicago Style, whatever that is if it's not deep dish.

It's not just your words, Pete. It says Chicago-style pizza on their website and on their menu, says deep dish or thin crust. Yet they don't show a single picture of either of Chicago's two styles of pizza. Like I said, I'll wait till the place opens up but I'm betting fans of Chicago pizza will be disappointed.

And I suppose there could be other pizza places in Chicago that they drew their inspiration from that I'm not aware. But from my time spent up there, you have Chicago deep dish which is very well-known. And thin crust Chicago style that isn't quite as popular but very unique compared to any regular old pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    And I suppose there could be other pizza places in Chicago that they drew their inspiration from that I'm not aware. But from my time spent up there, you have Chicago deep dish which is very well-known. And thin crust Chicago style that isn't quite as popular but very unique compared to any regular old pizza.
    THANK YOU for acknowledging this. Everyone (outside of Chicago) understands Chicago style to be deep dish. However, that's really more for the tourists (and was invented, no surprise, by a Texan), if you say to a random person in Chicago "Hey, let's grab some pizza" odds are high that you will soon be enjoying some pizza with a thin, crispy crust. Odds are also pretty good it's going to be 'bar' or 'party' cut.

8. Default Re: Pizza 9

Well as long as the deep dish is a thin crust, like Chicago Style Deep Dish, rather than a thick slab of crust with the same amount of toppings as a thin crust like the other chains serve it's all good...... The thing that caught my eye on the menu was the Southwestern flair of green chile as a topping.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    THANK YOU for acknowledging this. Everyone (outside of Chicago) understands Chicago style to be deep dish. However, that's really more for the tourists (and was invented, no surprise, by a Texan), if you say to a random person in Chicago "Hey, let's grab some pizza" odds are high that you will soon be enjoying some pizza with a thin, crispy crust. Odds are also pretty good it's going to be 'bar' or 'party' cut.
    Vito & Nicks is where it's at!

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Vito & Nicks is where it's at!
    I can't go through the Chicagoland area without stopping at Joe's Pizzeria in Wheeling. My fiance lived there and he got me hooked. Now I've got a craving for one of their thin crust pepperoni and jalapeno pizzas and a pistaschio-dusted cannoli!

As far as Pizza 9 goes, I'm excited to give them a try - if for no other reason than to get a pizza with giardiniera on it! Sausage and giardiniera is an amazing combo on a pizza!

11. Default Re: Pizza 9

I have some friends that lived in Santa Fe for a few months, and Pizza 9 was one of the few things they missed when they moved back to Oklahoma City. I'm excited to get to try it after hearing so much about it from them.

We have so many great pizza options here. Empire, Gusto, Upper Crust, Humble Pie in Edmond, Ny Pizza in Norman. They should be fine.

13. Default Re: Pizza 9

Did this ever happen or did the construction on Meridian put it on hold/kill it?

14. Default Re: Pizza 9

^Nevermind.... Street view ansewered my question.... https://www.google.com/maps/place/13...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Yes it's open. I was excited for a chicago deep dish pizza. I order a pizza from there and whatever that was. it wasn't chicago deep dish. It wasn't bad. but if you're thinking chicago deep dish you'll be disappointed. It seemed like Pizza hut pan pizza as far as size and style of pizza. not bad though.

16. Default Re: Pizza 9

Noticed last week that this is now Red River Pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Noticed last week that this is now Red River Pizza.
    I am not surprised it changed, probably Pizza 23 complained about them copying their name and threatened to sue so they changed it

18. Default Re: Pizza 9

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    I am not surprised it changed, probably Pizza 23 complained about them copying their name and threatened to sue so they changed it
    Considering Pizza 9 was a chain from out of state... I doubt it.

I think I saw posted here that Pizza 23 went out of business too.

20. Default Re: Pizza 9

We got Pizza 9 for the office fairly often. We now get Red River. Red River is pretty much exactly the same just different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Considering Pizza 9 was a chain from out of state... I doubt it.
    That makes sense

Thread Information